Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 04:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,310 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to a city that is not really liberal but isn't particularly conservative either. I am a Democrat (however I have voted Republican in the past; I would say I am a moderate more than a Democrat actually) yet cities like Denver, San Francisco and Seattle are too "out there" and "wacky" for my tastes. For instance I remember visiting San Francisco back in '08 and felt out of place there when surrounded by all these eccentrics. Therefore, I am curious to find a city that is not really conservative but is not really liberal either. To give you a glimpse into my views on certain issues:

* I support gay marriage but believe it should be up to individual church's discretion whether or not they hold the ceremonies.
* I do not support legalization of marijuana, however, I believe that medicinal marijuana has many benefits and should be legal.
* I support further gun control but don't believe guns should be gotten rid of completely; just stricter background checks, better training and more mental health funding.
* I am not a supporter of the new kind of feminism. I believe in equal rights for women, however, the new militancy of it is irritating and the demonization of males from these hardline feminists enrages me. They also tend to focus on women opposed to men and often forget that men can also be raped, etc.

Further info:
* I am a single, heterosexual male.
* I don't care about the weather.
* I would prefer a bigger city that isn't full of strip malls and has interesting places to go.
* Crime rate is preferably low but I don't care as long as the city isn't rife with crime and there are big pockets of safe areas. Safe downtown area is important to me.
* Sports cities are a big plus.

-hr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 06:09 AM

421 posts, read 556,335 times
Houston leans liberal but not super liberal. It will be a while before gay marriage is legal here, but our mayor is married to her partner. They went to Cali. We aren't gonna have any new gun control any time soon, part of being in texas.

We have plenty of night life, lots of different favors. We have a lot of stuff to do, although plenty of strip malls too.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:31 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobin Rood View Post
* I support gay marriage but believe it should be up to individual church's discretion whether or not they hold the ceremonies.
* I do not support legalization of marijuana, however, I believe that medicinal marijuana has many benefits and should be legal.
* I support further gun control but don't believe guns should be gotten rid of completely; just stricter background checks, better training and more mental health funding.
* I am not a supporter of the new kind of feminism. I believe in equal rights for women, however, the new militancy of it is irritating and the demonization of males from these hardline feminists enrages me. They also tend to focus on women opposed to men and often forget that men can also be raped, etc.

Further info:
* I am a single, heterosexual male.
* I don't care about the weather.
* I would prefer a bigger city that isn't full of strip malls and has interesting places to go.
* Crime rate is preferably low but I don't care as long as the city isn't rife with crime and there are big pockets of safe areas. Safe downtown area is important to me.
* Sports cities are a big plus.

-hr
I would think cities like Nashville, Charlotte, Pittsburgh or Raleigh would be good fits.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:03 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
You may like the bigger Upstate NY cities, as the criteria fits. Perhaps places like Lansing/East Lansing and parts of the Detroit metro(Woodward Corridor in Oakland County) in MI and Columbus and Cleveland in OH.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:48 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Cleveland, a city (and region) that has for a long time been liberal, mixed with blue collar work ethic and values. San Francisco we are not, but we are in general a pretty open-minded and tolerant lot, and many people here support things like gun control, legalized marijuana, and gay marriage. We are hosting Gay Games 9, our city created a domestic partnership registry, our mayor recently proposed new gun legislation (to the dismay of the tea partiers in the state) if those things tell you anything. There has long been a spirit of inclusion and cooperation here. Many of our public institutions (art museums, marketplaces) were built with populist ideals, and have free admission. This has also historically been a Union town, and it still carries a lot of populist values that the unions stood for. Shaker Heights, a suburb of Cleveland was recently determined to be the most liberal town in Ohio. Other liberal areas are Cleveland Heights, Lakewood, along with all of Cleveland proper.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 07-31-2014 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 07:59 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
I support further gun control

I am not a supporter of the new kind of feminism.

Don't come to Pittsburgh. My suggestion would be Ohio.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:16 AM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,903 times
Just about every large city is liberal but not as liberal as SF.

Life is too short to let politics run your life.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:12 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Just about every large city is liberal but not as liberal as SF.

Life is too short to let politics run your life.
I agree with both your statements. I had an unusually high interest in politics as a kid. I was a liberal at the time even if I was far too young to vote(i eventually became a Republican and today I can't stand either major party). Anyway one of my chilldhod hobbies was to go through the almanac and analyze the Presidential voting results. I loved any county that voted Dem and hated areas that voted Rep. I remember telling my grandma my latest finding "Tucson is good and Phoenix is bad".. Even if she was a liberal herself (but found it distasteful to talk about) she strongly disagreed and basically told me she had been around the country and you can't judge places by politics, there are good people everywhere and it's a waste of life energy to look at everything through a political lens. I didn't want to believe her at the time but now I see the wisdom in it.

I can understand the OP wanting to be in a city with like minded folks but that isn't going to be hard. Your first point is correct. Just about every large metro area in the U.S is liberal but not as liberal as SF.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobin Rood View Post
be gotten rid of completely; just stricter background checks, better training and more mental health funding.
Overall my suggestion would be Chicago. It's more Democratic than it is liberal. Though parts the South and West sides are war zones, downtown and the Northside are super safe. It's a truly fun city, especially if you're young, and there's no better place for a sports fan.

Though, I am a little confused about this new feminism. Thought out of q u e e r studies has critiqued feminism significantly over the past fifteen years, and feminists took those critiques to heart. Contemporary feminism in 2014 is actually more focused on how social systems of power function rather than gender. Contemporary feminists are just as critical of how these systems of power hurt people with masculine subjectivities as they are of people with feminine subjectivities. I could go into a lot more detail, but I don't wanna bore you. The feminist-as-man-hater died with Mary Daly (who too is often misunderstood).

But anyway, take a short trip to Chicago. There's always a cheap, direct flight into O'Hare. Check out Wrigleyville, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Logan Square, and get a sense if you could see yourself living there. Watch a couple games, eat an Italian Beef, check out some of the craft cocktails bars. At worst, it would still be great vacation.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 07-31-2014 at 09:56 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 10:47 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Overall my suggestion would be Chicago. It's more Democratic than it is liberal. Though parts the South and West sides are war zones, downtown and the Northside are super safe. It's a truly fun city, especially if you're young, and there's no better place for a sports fan.

Though, I am a little confused about this new feminism. Thought out of q u e e r studies has critiqued feminism significantly over the past fifteen years, and feminists took those critiques to heart. Contemporary feminism in 2014 is actually more focused on how social systems of power function rather than gender. Contemporary feminists are just as critical of how these systems of power hurt people with masculine subjectivities as they are of people with feminine subjectivities. I could go into a lot more detail, but I don't wanna bore you. The feminist-as-man-hater died with Mary Daly (who too is often misunderstood).

But anyway, take a short trip to Chicago. There's always a cheap, direct flight into O'Hare. Check out Wrigleyville, Wicker Park, Lincoln Park, Logan Square, and get a sense if you could see yourself living there. Watch a couple games, eat an Italian Beef, check out some of the craft cocktails bars. At worst, it would still be great vacation.
Excellent choice--I'm a big fan of Chicago, too. A good mix of old-fashioned FDR/academic/blue-collar/ tradesman liberalism...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.