Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 PM

65 posts, read 129,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You may be interested in this too: CNYCS | Central New York Chinese School
Thx, but my chinese is limited to daily conversation and martial art, can teach Vietnamese though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMartialArtist View Post
Thx, but my chinese is limited to daily conversation and martial art, can teach Vietnamese though
There is a Vietnamese Community Center, as well as a Buddhist Temple(Chua Di Lac) that celebrates Le Vu Lan, Our Lady of Pompeii Catholic Church has a Vietnamese Mass at 12:30 on Sundays and there is usually a SE Asian festival during the year. There are a few Vietnamese restaurants as well. All of this is on the city's North Side. So, there are some things to consider in terms of networking as well.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:01 AM

I don't really like religious gatherings, so Buddhist Temple and Catholic Church are actually big no-no to me. Yesterday, I decided to yelp the restaurants and the markets, and was somewhat surprised by the reviews about Vietnamese foods in Syracuse, as many says that it is hard to find decent Vietnamese foods in CNY.

So I used the site you have quoted - usa.com - to check and compare, and found out that surprisingly, Champaign-Urbana have 6,065 Chinese 33.59% of its 231,891 total population and 937 5.19% Vietnamese.
Champaign, Urbana Metro Area Population and Races

In contrast, Syracuse metro area, with a total pop of 662,577, only has 3,519 Chinese and 2,205 Vietnamese, 22.33% and 13.99%
Syracuse Metro Area Population and Races

I'd better check out the Chinese Community in Champaign!

Old 08-14-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
I don't really like religious gatherings, so Buddhist Temple and Catholic Church are actually big no-no to me. Yesterday, I decided to yelp the restaurants and the markets, and was somewhat surprised by the reviews about Vietnamese foods in Syracuse, as many says that it is hard to find decent Vietnamese foods in CNY.

So I used the site you have quoted - usa.com - to check and compare, and found out that surprisingly, Champaign-Urbana have 6,065 Chinese 33.59% of its 231,891 total population and 937 5.19% Vietnamese.
Champaign, Urbana Metro Area Population and Races

In contrast, Syracuse metro area, with a total pop of 662,577, only has 3,519 Chinese and 2,205 Vietnamese, 22.33% and 13.99%
Syracuse Metro Area Population and Races

I'd better check out the Chinese Community in Champaign!
Not true: http://mailanrestaurant.com/

New Century Vietnamese Restaurant - Syracuse | Urbanspoon

https://plus.google.com/114483135400...esult&socpid=1

There are also quite a few Asian markets in the area. The Best Place to Find Obscure Asian Ingredients in the Syracuse Area | ALINE MAGAZINE

Than Lwin Asian Market in Syracuse, NY 13208 - syracuse.com

https://www.facebook.com/SyracuseLaosMarket

Neighborhood Spotlight » NEHDA :: Northeast Hawley Development Association

I'm probably forgetting some of the new ones as well.

Keep in mind that Syracuse is a more diverse city in comparison and is a much bigger metro. It also is close to other areas with Vietnamese/Asian communities like Utica, Ithaca and Binghamton, all within an hour. It is also closer to a variety of outdoor amenities and within a reasonable range of major US and Canadian cities/areas.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-14-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 08-14-2014, 04:25 PM

maybe my expectation is too high, but I really miss pork kidney and intestine in my morning noodle soup, and dozens kinds of seafood and shellfish in a typical local mom n pop restaurant.
I have checked the restaurants you suggested, they have decent menu, they are as good as restaurants in Chicago, but not as authentic as I want.

The Asian "obscure asian market" is a bad one, it just a small one that mostly sells frozen stuffs.
The Laos market looks great, the Far East market sounds promising with fresh seafood from New York.

I wonder, how would the best ethnic grocery stores in New York fare, compared to the best ones in Chicago. Tai Nam is a great place, it has most of the stuffs that I wanna buy Tai Nam Market
However, the fact that Tai Nam is the best Chinese/Vietnamese ethnic grocery store in Chicago says that the Chinese/Vietnamese food scene in Chicago is not that impressive.

I think eating habit is a very good indicators of how open minded people in a certain area are.
If people are open to eating authentic Chinese/ Vietnamese foods, they are open to meeting Chinese / Vietnamese people, that's what I am looking for ^ ^

Last edited by TravelMartialArtist; 08-14-2014 at 04:48 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
maybe my expectation is too high, but I really miss pork kidney and intestine in my morning noodle soup, and dozens kinds of seafood and shellfish in a typical local mom n pop restaurant.
I have checked the restaurants you suggested, they have decent menu, they are as good as restaurants in Chicago, but not as authentic as I want.

The Asian "obscure asian market" is a bad one, it just a small one that mostly sells frozen stuffs.
The Laos market looks great, the Far East market sounds promising with fresh seafood from New York.

I wonder, how would the best ethnic grocery stores in New York fare, compared to the best ones in Chicago. Tai Nam is a great place, it has most of the stuffs that I wanna buy Tai Nam Market
However, the fact that Tai Nam is the best Chinese/Vietnamese ethnic grocery store in Chicago says that the Chinese/Vietnamese food scene in Chicago is not that impressive.

I think eating habit is a very good indicators of how open minded people in a certain area are.
If people are open to eating authentic Chinese/ Vietnamese foods, they are open to meeting Chinese / Vietnamese people, that's what I am looking for ^ ^
I think you find people open to meeting Vietnamese/Chinese people in any of the cities/areas mentioned, as long as you are open as well.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
OP have you considered the Austin, TX area?

Old 08-15-2014, 05:21 PM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Do not know why the OP hasn't yet considered the obvious choice of the San Francisco Bay area, which has a huge Asian population with many Vietnamese and/or Chinese communities, mild weather, access to the outdoors and a famously quirky/liberal vibe for the most part.

While San Francisco housing itself is notoriously expensive,many nearby towns are much more reasonably priced and Oakland, Daly City, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, and Fremont, could be possible choices.

Old 08-15-2014, 07:44 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
How about Fresno? There is a large Asian community there, all kinds of Asian restaurants and stores and close to beautiful nature in Yosemite and other state and national parks. Plus unlike most of California it has a relatively low cost of living.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:46 PM

@KathrynAragon
I have a few friends who live in a few places in TX, all complains about how how it is in the summer.
Unless I can swim in a river / a lake / the occean for free everyday, I don't wanna live in the South.

@citylove101 and Jay F
I can't afford most places in California. I heard Fresno is a decent place, I personally know a few people who have moved there and liked it there.

Maybe I am biased, but it seems Asian people in NY, TX, CA are obsessed with home ownership, hearing them boasting about their expensive houses and high salary sicken me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.