Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 12:30 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,500,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Here is our story: We moved away from Houston 3.5 years ago. If we'd stayed, my husband could have retired when I did and we could have taken lots of trips and bought lots of toys. Instead, we moved to CC Philly because we wanted something Houston couldn't offer: high rise living smack dab in the middle of a vibrant, growing, walkable, urban setting. We also wanted to be within an hour or less of one of the oceans. And we were willing to pay for it. Not sure why that's hard to understand. As such, I am merely pointing out that the premise of this thread as presented by the OP is flawed: that areas away from the coasts are a magnet for people seeking a better life. The premise of the actual article is that they are a manget for people seeking cheaper real estate. For some that may indeed equate to a better life. But remember, the title of the article was: "Affordable housing draws middle class inland." It was not "A better life draws middle class inland."
The OP is not flawed though. Just because you have a diffrenent definition of "a better life" does not mean that people are not moving inland for "a better life"....

Quote:
For others, such as my husband and I, we are choosing to move from areas where housing is cheaper in order to obtain what for us is a better life. Some of us want more from life than a cheaper home and are able and willing to pay for it. And we are not the only folks we've met here in Philly who have done the same.
This is where your unfair comparison comes into play... you are downplaying the inland areas as only offering "a cheaper house" when they offer MANY urban, walkable amenities....

Regardless, the OP is still not flawed. People do move inland for "a better life" and the fact that you didn't does not prove it wrong.

Last edited by JMT; 08-07-2014 at 08:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 12:43 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Regardless, the OP is still not flawed. People do move inland for "a better life" and the fact that you didn't does not prove it wrong.
Gosh, you seemed worked up about all this. It's just some article from CNBC saying real estate in cheaper away form the coasts and that reality drawing people there. And I'm sure people are moving to the midwest for a better life. I even said so. Here it is, in case you didn't slow down enough to read all of my post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
The premise of the actual article is that they are a manget for people seeking cheaper real estate. For some that may indeed equate to a better life.
So see, I believe this is happening. That said, people are also moving from the inland to the coasts for a better life, even though real estate is higher.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Gosh, you seemed worked up about all this.
That is purely your perception. (Which you are rather adamant about despite me flatly telling you otherwise... it is starting to border on ad hominem...)

Quote:
It's just some article from CNBC saying real estate in cheaper away form the coasts and that reality drawing people there. And I'm sure people are moving to the midwest for a better life. I even said so. Here it is, in case you didn't slow down enough to read all of my post:
Yeah, which is why I don't get your original post in which you seemed offended that people could have "a better life" inland... the one where you downplayed the Midwest as only offering "a cheap house" and nothing else...

Quote:
So see, I believe this is happening. That said, people are also moving from the inland to the coasts for a better life, even though real estate is higher.
It is not like you are implying... the implication is that inland cities only offer cheaper housing, when there are neighborhoods that rival Center City Philly, at a cheaper price tag.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:09 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Geez. It just boils down to this: TO EACH HIS OWN

I also agree that having a lower cost of living isn't everything. I mean, if that was all that mattered, I would be living in Brownsville, TX.

It's about finding an equilibrium for yourself.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Geez. It just boils down to this: TO EACH HIS OWN

I also agree that having a lower cost of living isn't everything. I mean, if that was all that mattered, I would be living in Brownsville, TX.

It's about finding an equilibrium for yourself.
Which is exactly what I am saying.

The people flocking inland are not flocking to the cheapest possible option. They are moving to cities with urban cores and amenities. (but still at a cheaper price tag than coastal cities.) They are finding the equilibrium that you speak of, not choosing the cheapest available house...

Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
^^^ I really never portrayed "the Midwest as only offering "a cheap house" and nothing else..." I've possibly spent more time there than you - who knows? First of all, I've been to all 50 states. In addition to living 26 years in Houston, I lived 18 or so months in KCMO, have visited St Louis 4 times, been to Chicago 4 or 5 times, and visited Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati. If Denver counts as inland - yea - been there too. Detroit - yea. Tulsa - check. Milwaukee - yea. Albuquerque - 4 or 5 times. Phoenix 4 times. The other big Texas cities - check. Need I go on? All of these places I liked or I wouldn't have visited. So quit lying: I DID NOT SAY THE MID-WEST IS CHEAP HOUSING AND NOTHING ELSE! We just don't want to live there any more and it's worth it to us to pay more for our housing so that we can live elsewhere. Period.

I'll simply stand by my actual words in this thread and leave it at that. If you want to continue to misinterpret them, intentionally or otherwise, you're on your own.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
^^^ I really never portrayed "the Midwest as only offering "a cheap house" and nothing else..." I've possibly spent more time there than you - who knows? First of all, I've been to all 50 states. In addition to living 26 years in Houston, I lived 18 or so months in KCMO, have visited St Louis 4 times, been to Chicago 4 or 5 times, and visited Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati. If Denver counts as inland - yea - been there too. Detroit - yea. Tulsa - check. Milwaukee - yea. Albuquerque - 4 or 5 times. Phoenix 4 times. The other big Texas cities - check. Need I go on? All of these places I liked or I wouldn't have visited.
I have experience with all 50 as well, I have lived in 23. This isn't a pissing contest.

Quote:
So quit lying: I DID NOT SAY THE MID-WEST IS CHEAP HOUSING AND NOTHING ELSE!
And I am getting worked up? I never said that you said that, I said it comes across as what you implied.

Quote:
We just don't want to live there any more and it's worth it to us to pay more for our housing so that we can live elsewhere. Period.
That isn't what you said at first. You scoffed at the article saying that "a better life" is more than "a cheap house" as if that was the only thing you get when you move inland.

Quote:
I'll simply stand by my actual words in this thread and leave it at that. If you want to continue to misinterpret them, intentionally or otherwise, you're on your own.
Ok, stop replying to me then?

I will continue to call out super silly comparisons like Center City Philly to Cheyenne, WY....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.