Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 06:37 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33 View Post
that's absolutely right. I thought we were discussing larger cities overlooked nationally
Yeah, I was confused by the discussion of smaller obscure cities... In reality, I think Sandusky is more well known than it should be for its size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 07:08 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Yeah, I was confused by the discussion of smaller obscure cities... In reality, I think Sandusky is more well known than it should be for its size.
I was going to say the exact same thing.

Really, Sandusky was only mentioned because Cedar Point was. It's the closest town to the theme park aside from Toledo to the west and Cleveland to the east.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:09 PM

6,075 posts, read 9,100,962 times
Pretty much all of them. Morgantown probably gets the most spotlight with WVU, WVU sports and their good economy. Charleston gets some publicity, but its usually not good. Every other city gets over looked, which is a shame because we have some cool towns and small cities.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:13 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Pretty much all of them. Morgantown probably gets the most spotlight with WVU, WVU sports and their good economy. Charleston gets some publicity, but its usually not good. Every other city gets over looked, which is a shame because we have some cool towns and small cities.
Oddly enough, when I was younger and thought of cities in West Virginia, aside from Charleston, I always thought of Wheeling at the northern peninsula of the state. I can understand Morgantown though.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:43 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Yeah, some of these towns that a few of you guys are mentioning... they're overlooked because they're SMALL towns. It's much more understandable for a, let's say, Independence, Missouri or Truth or Consequences, New Mexico to be a blip on the national radar, IF there's any constant recognition for those places at all.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:07 PM

846 posts, read 1,797,469 times
In South Carolina, any city outside of Charleston and Myrtle Beach. Greenville is a very nice city, with its beautiful parks and its growing tech population.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:07 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,501,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsfan16 View Post
In South Carolina, any city outside of Charleston and Myrtle Beach. Greenville is a very nice city, with its beautiful parks and its growing tech population.
I would say Columbia is definitely the most overlooked. It is the biggest city and capital, but it gets no recognition.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
I would say Columbia is definitely the most overlooked. It is the biggest city and capital, but it gets no recognition.
Yeah it tends to fly under the radar...except during college football season, then it gets a little shine.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:50 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,972,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Ugh... I hate it when people try to call Fort Worth a "suburb of Dallas". That's like calling St. Paul a suburb of Minneapolis, or even Baltimore a suburb of D.C. Fort Worth is it's own hub city, with it's own metro, that shares a few suburbs with Dallas' metro. Sure, it's all considered one big metro now (DFW), but Fort Worth is anything but a "suburb of Dallas".
Minnesota:
St. Paul IS my favorite suburb of Minneapolis. I would agree it's overlooked. The downtown doesn't have much going on, but there are some ok neighborhood bars and nice historic houses.

Other states:

Texas:
I'm plus/minus on Ft. Worth being overlooked. I think many people know it as the smaller city near Dallas. El Paso is a possibility. For a city of it's size, it's pretty isolated, and so far from any other cities in TX. I would also throw out Corpus Christi. It's a bigger city than most people realize, and has access to some decent beaches, but even when I lived in Texas it wasn't a city I thought about much.

Michigan:
Grand Rapids- Decent size metro, not much buzz. I've been there once, it's a kind of quiet town, but you think the population of the area would make it more well known.

California:
I'd agree with San Jose or Sacramento for bigger cities that fly below the radar. The Inland Empire is also overlooked. Long Beach is a bigger city than many realize, and has a decent number of tourist attractions. Bakersfield, Fresno, and Stockton are all bigger cities than most people realize, but they're not exactly places anyone would go on vacation.

Old 08-14-2014, 01:55 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
Texas:
I'm plus/minus on Ft. Worth being overlooked. I think many people know it as the smaller city near Dallas. El Paso is a possibility. For a city of it's size, it's pretty isolated, and so far from any other cities in TX. I would also throw out Corpus Christi. It's a bigger city than most people realize, and has access to some decent beaches, but even when I lived in Texas it wasn't a city I thought about much.
I totally agree about El Paso especially. It's a metro of over 800k, and if you include nearby Las Cruces, NM, whose suburbs come very close to joining with El Paso's, it's more like a million-plus. Throw in Juarez, which is more than twice El Paso's metro population, and you have a consolidated metro of roughly 2.5 million... though with Juarez being in another country, this isn't an accepted figure. Still, considering there's that many people concentrated in one area, you would think it would get a little more attention... aside from the usual news reports about cartel violence. El Paso isn't the most exciting place, but it does have some local charm and some great outdoorsy things to do, with a huge mountain park right in the middle of the city and Big Bend National Park not too far away.

Corpus Christi also gets very overlooked, but it's a pretty small metro when measured up against Texas' numerous larger metros. I've spent some time in CC, and there really isn't much to see or do there, honestly. It does have a nice waterfront skyline though, and there are some nice options for water recreation... but really that's about all there is. I can kind of understand why it isn't at the front of most people's thoughts.

Laredo is another small Texas metro, just barely smaller than CC (though if you include it's Mexican counterpart, Nuevo Laredo, it's bigger than CC)... that also gets very little attention. Also, that is pretty understandable. It's main claim to fame, other than being a gateway to Mexico, is that it's the hottest city in Texas. That's kind of like being the coldest city in Minnesota. Not exactly something that attracts too many people.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 08-14-2014 at 02:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.