Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 11:32 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

Well, it's not the upper Midwest or New England, but if those are too far away you might try the mountains of TN/VA/NC. Some pics from our TN forum thread.
//www.city-data.com/forum/32023153-post538.html and
//www.city-data.com/forum/31815858-post528.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 01:48 PM

3,886 posts, read 4,538,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I guess I'm not quite sure what people mean by a "long" fall. If you're talking about how long the "fall weather" lasts, I really enjoy being outdoors from September through November. By November the highs are in the 50s and 40s, but you're generally not seeing regular snowfall yet. If you're talking about the colorful leaves, it starts to turn in the very last days of September. If you get a really windy and rainy bout of weather in mid October (which seems to happen a lot) the trees will be bare from that point on, except in protected areas and urban areas. I would describe the colors themselves as somewhat short-lived.
Hi, I don't live in a four seasons area, but I have read how the "color" part of autumn can often be short, and I did also read it will depend on if rain and wind strip the trees of their leaves.

For myself, I'm thinking of a "long fall" as the total "season" between the oppressive heat of summer and the "hibernating long cold SNOWY winter. With or without a long leaf peeping period.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:21 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi, I don't live in a four seasons area, but I have read how the "color" part of autumn can often be short, and I did also read it will depend on if rain and wind strip the trees of their leaves.

For myself, I'm thinking of a "long fall" as the total "season" between the oppressive heat of summer and the "hibernating long cold SNOWY winter. With or without a long leaf peeping period.
Well, if that is your definition of a long fall, then I think the falls in Michigan are long. Temps are normally very pleasant (in my opinion) from late August until early to mid November, with highs slowly decreasing from the upper 70s to the 50s. We also do have a lot of oak trees in my area that hang on to their leaves into November, which extends the color season just a tad (even though the oaks aren't nearly as spectacular.)

But the truth is that this general weather pattern exists from the Upper Midwest to Maine and everywhere in between. It certainly is not unique to Michigan.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:11 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
The Smoky Mountains are really nice in the fall. Other parts of the Appalachians should be nice too, like WV, eastern KY.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:07 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Some shots from the county I grew up in (Door County, WI)...

Winding canopy roads near the tip of the peninsula:

Ephraim, my hometown and one of the many harbor towns along Lake Michigan/Green Bay:

Cave Point:

Lighthouses:

Bluffs, colors, and endless horizons:

Old 08-11-2014, 10:00 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
I'll give a shout out to Maine. We've been going there every fall for nearly 15 years, so there has to be a reason (aside from all the lobster )

(my pix)

Old 08-11-2014, 02:14 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I'll give a shout out to Maine. We've been going there every fall for nearly 15 years, so there has to be a reason (aside from all the lobster )

(my pix)
Maine is beautiful in the fall! Great pics! It's funny... The very last picture you posted of the Maine coast reminds me a LOT of this pic I took near Marquette, MI along Lake Superior:

Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
^^^ Wow - pretty uncanny, huh? Michigan really looks beautiful in the pix you posted. And the pix cheese plate posted of WI look pretty nice as well. The upper mid-west is throwing down some tough competition in the pix category.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:14 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Maine is beautiful in the fall! Great pics! It's funny... The very last picture you posted of the Maine coast reminds me a LOT of this pic I took near Marquette, MI along Lake Superior:
I thought the same thing - Southern Lake Superior coast in general (MN north shore, WI Apostle Islands, Upper Michigan). That photo is from Sugarloaf near Marquette, MI - a great hike and a great 360 view. Out right on the other side of that island is one of the best Lake Superior beaches. I've gone swimming there a couple times - the shallow harbor seems to allow temperatures to hit unusually comfortable numbers for Lake Superior.

Maine is one of 3 states I still need to hit, and it's one I know I'll like a lot. I love northwoods!

Old 08-12-2014, 08:34 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,974 times
Regardless of where you want to go, here's a good resource for when to go: http://www.foliagenetwork.com/

For fans of the Northeast, this is a summary of the Foliage Network's report for 2010: http://philly.codecraftersinc.com/foliage2010.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.