Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 02:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

What beautiful fall pictures everyone has posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Northeast Ohio falls are beautiful and long. Nothing like going on a bike ride through the Cleveland Metroparks or the Cuyahoga Valley National Park in the fall, followed by some hot apple cider. We also have some of the best apple cider and maple syrup around. I'm getting excited for Fall just thinking about it.
Agreed. Western PA as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I'm not aware of anywhere with a 3-month colored Fall, really.

East Coasters are surely going to prop up New England, and NE is very nice in Fall. A comparable area is the MN/WI/MI region, especially along Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. Where I grew up (Door County WI) there are tons of festivals celebrating the season, and I've never seen a region more beautiful in Fall than northern Door County.
Me, neither. Here in CO, the leaves in the mtns are usually at their peak for about two weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Hi, I don't live in a four seasons area, but I have read how the "color" part of autumn can often be short, and I did also read it will depend on if rain and wind strip the trees of their leaves.

For myself, I'm thinking of a "long fall" as the total "season" between the oppressive heat of summer and the "hibernating long cold SNOWY winter. With or without a long leaf peeping period.
The bold is true. Here in metro Denver, if we get an early snow before the leaves have changed color (e.g. September), the leaves just turn black and fall off. The weather here can be beautiful for months, from Sept. through November, even into December sometimes, with 1-2 snows in there as well, just to give us a foretaste of the season to come. There's an urban legend there is always snow for Halloween. It's almost true. Denver Halloween Snow Statistics Through 2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 02:37 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Upper Minnesota's fall foliage is absolutely stunning, too.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:40 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Nice spots out west, if you poke around. This is from Oak Creek Canyon, Arizona.

http://www.dreamsedona.com/images/au...eek-canyon.jpg

Old 08-12-2014, 04:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What beautiful fall pictures everyone has posted!

Agreed. Western PA as well.

Me, neither. Here in CO, the leaves in the mtns are usually at their peak for about two weeks.

The bold is true. Here in metro Denver, if we get an early snow before the leaves have changed color (e.g. September), the leaves just turn black and fall off. The weather here can be beautiful for months, from Sept. through November, even into December sometimes, with 1-2 snows in there as well, just to give us a foretaste of the season to come. There's an urban legend there is always snow for Halloween. It's almost true. Denver Halloween Snow Statistics Through 2009
I wanted to add, for those who asked about festivals, many towns around here have "Oktoberfests" sometimes even in September, as the weather gets funkier in October, e.g. it's more likely to snow.
Home | Denver Oktoberfest
Breckenridge Oktoberfest | Breckenridge Events
Oktoberfest in Colorado 2014 - Find CO Oktoberfest Dates & Locations
Some even start August 30!

Old 08-13-2014, 09:02 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
A few more pictures of Wisconsin fall, these are all outside Door County (which I posted on the previous page) & from different quadrants of the state...

Great River Road on the Mississippi River, western WI border:

Lodi (north of Madison), Lake Wisconsin in the background:

Bayfield Peninsula, northern WI (Lake Superior in the background):

A more Western-looking scene post-peak color with bluffs & mesas in the Central WI Sands:

Southeast WI, Milwaukee suburbs looking towards the moraines and Holy Hill:

Old 08-13-2014, 09:23 AM

421 posts, read 556,261 times
These photos are jaw dropping. Thanks so much for sharing

*in Houston, dreaming about fall*

Old 08-13-2014, 09:28 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,816 times
As others have stated, New England

Here is my plug for NH tho and a few pics

Just look at the pics in this link

https://www.google.com/search?q=mt+washington+in+the+fall&safe=off&rls=co m.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=N4LrU-GXG4KUyATM6oCYAw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1316&bih=671
Attached Thumbnails
Best fall-nh0076.jpg   Best fall-dsc02608-small-.jpg   Best fall-20121006_113825-large-small-.jpg  

Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
I've never done a New England fall color tour, but I will cross that one off within the next few years. Very beautiful.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:03 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeye View Post
These photos are jaw dropping. Thanks so much for sharing

*in Houston, dreaming about fall*
Maybe you should drive up into Arkansas during November to get a break. It's no Vermont but it's better than Houston.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2014 at 07:34 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
A few more pictures of Wisconsin fall, these are all outside Door County (which I posted on the previous page) & from different quadrants of the state...

Great River Road on the Mississippi River, western WI border:

Lodi (north of Madison), Lake Wisconsin in the background:

Bayfield Peninsula, northern WI (Lake Superior in the background):

A more Western-looking scene post-peak color with bluffs & mesas in the Central WI Sands:

Southeast WI, Milwaukee suburbs looking towards the moraines and Holy Hill:
Gorgeous photos!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.