Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 9,046 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I am currently residing in Colorado. I am originally from Alabama, and moved to Colorado back in 2005. Having attended college and working here for a few years since graduating I am ready for a new “adventure”.

I am considering a number of places on the east coast as I am sure it would be a good fit for me. Below are my stats for helping me find a city to best meet my needs.

I am 24 yo
Full-time working professional
African American
Working in the Marketing field (digital is my forte)
I am an openly gay male
Wanting to pursue masters sometime soon (but not for another 2-3 years)
Can afford about 500 - 750 a month
Not a huge partier, but like to go out on weekends for drinks and socializing
Wanting to get away from all this snow, so somewhere where the amount of snow fall is low
Place where it rains frequently, I love the rain
Love cultural activities (museums, parks, shows etc.)
Want to be close as possible to water/beaches, if that in tells a weekend away, that's fine too
Wanting to be able to live near NYC for weekend trips

Over the past few months I have been job searching and saving for this move. I only have about 3,000 so far so moving without a job is totally not my plan and would probably not be a safe decision. From my experience over the past 2 months of job hunting, it seems that most employers are not interested in someone who doesn’t already live in the area. So any advice in this area would be appreciated.

Places I'm considering:
Virginia
DC
Maryland
Philadelphia
Boston

Thank you all immensely for your help since i am not exactly sure what to do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2014, 01:09 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,484,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburge View Post
Hi everyone!

I am currently residing in Colorado. I am originally from Alabama, and moved to Colorado back in 2005. Having attended college and working here for a few years since graduating I am ready for a new “adventure”.

I am considering a number of places on the east coast as I am sure it would be a good fit for me. Below are my stats for helping me find a city to best meet my needs.

I am 24 yo
Full-time working professional
African American
Working in the Marketing field (digital is my forte)
I am an openly gay male
Wanting to pursue masters sometime soon (but not for another 2-3 years)
Not a huge partier, but like to go out on weekends for drinks and socializing
Wanting to get away from all this snow, so somewhere where the amount of snow fall is low
Place where it rains frequently, I love the rain
Love cultural activities (museums, parks, shows etc.)
Want to be close as possible to water/beaches, if that in tells a weekend away, that's fine too
Wanting to be able to live near NYC for weekend trips

Over the past few months I have been job searching and saving for this move. I only have about 3,000 so far so moving without a job is totally not my plan and would probably not be a safe decision. From my experience over the past 2 months of job hunting, it seems that most employers are not interested in someone who doesn’t already live in the area. So any advice in this area would be appreciated.

Places I'm considering:
Virginia
DC
Maryland
Philadelphia
Boston

Thank you all immensely for your help since i am not exactly sure what to do!
How is Atlanta not on your list?

Old 08-24-2014, 06:52 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,045,587 times
I would place DC first on your list as long as you're aware with your budget you'll be in a roommate situation. Otherwise as mentioned Atlanta would be the strong runner-up in my opinion.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 AM

308 posts, read 507,157 times
So you have a mad low budget, don't want snow, yet you wanna be close to NYC.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:23 AM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

If the OP wants to be close to NYC with that budget, he may have to look into an area like Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton in PA. I'm not sure of neighborhoods to look into specifically, but perhaps looking into neighborhoods near Lehigh University in Bethlehem, as college areas in cities tend to have a more open minded vibe. There's LaFayette College in Easton and the neighborhoods near it may work too. That's just a guess though. It appears that Easton's College Hill area and Bethlehem's southern end of Downtown and Northside may work. http://eastonchna.drupalgardens.com
College Hill Residential Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.downtownbethlehemassociation.com

NYC is about an hour and a half and Philly is about an hour away.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-24-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 08-25-2014, 05:25 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
So you have a mad low budget, don't want snow, yet you wanna be close to NYC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

If the OP wants to be close to NYC with that budget, he may have to look into an area like Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton in PA.
Many actually afford living in larger cities on smaller budgets by having roommates. I think the OP is aware he's not going to live alone in a one bedroom on Park Avenue on that budget.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:39 AM

6,819 posts, read 6,070,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburge View Post

Places I'm considering:
Boston
Eh....

Old 08-25-2014, 06:47 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,800,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I would place DC first on your list as long as you're aware with your budget you'll be in a roommate situation. Otherwise as mentioned Atlanta would be the strong runner-up in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Every gay black man isn't interested in Atlanta. The OP said he's interested in the East Coast, wants proximity to NYC, and access to the water. That clearly eliminates Atlanta.

Jburge, though it is about 6 hours from New York, I would recommend the Hampton Roads area of Virginia as I would imagine it to be the most affordable coastal location in the region and there are plenty of black professionals/military in the area. Otherwise with that budget you will most likely need one or several room mates to get by in those cities.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:59 AM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Might as well mention Richmond too.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:00 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,898,108 times

Wow. That may get you somewhere in Southern Virginia.

Your budget rules out:
DC
Maryland - except for Cumberland and west.
Philadelphia
Boston

Unless you are willing to commute hours to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.