Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 05:36 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,486 times

Advertisements

Check out the Sh** Hipsters Say video by joeyknowspeople on youtube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 09:44 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,810,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Nope. Inner-loop Houston and North Oak Cliff in Dallas are infested with neo-hipsters. The Washington corridor in Houston has been overtaken by these people. If you're talking about suburbs, then sure... but the same goes in suburban Austin, Portland, Seattle, SF, or any other notorious neo-hipster hot spot.

Don't know about Atlanta (since you mentioned "the entire South"), but from what I've heard it has it's share as well. I know Nashville is teeming with them, and I would imagine New Orleans has more than a few. And then there's Athens, GA, Chapel Hill, NC, maybe Knoxville, TN?

No, the South is not immune.
Of course hipsters will be everywhere but I'm assuming with less of them. Looking like a hipster is a trend so nearly every young person is going to follow it... What I was trying to point out is places that may have less of an influence of them because they don't have the "hipster" culture associated with them by stereotypes.

My hometown (Phoenix) has them. But the point is that the hipsters aren't defining how life goes on there. The cities I did list as hipster-filled, the hipsters have been defining it to a degree, for good or for worse. The hipsters in Phoenix typically live in a couple neighborhoods themselves, but they are not changing the culture of the city, or rarely even the neighborhoods they're in.

I'll say that I haven't been to most of the South. Only New Orleans, and I saw no hipsters there the few times I've been there. I assumed Texas would be on more of a similar path as Arizona because of the fact Arizona and Texas have a bit in common, so tell me, do you think the hipsters are changing the culture and lifestyle of Houston and Dallas?

Old 08-10-2014, 10:02 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
No, the residents and visitors in NoDa were actual hippies back then. The area became popular, revitalized, and the hipsters moved in.
That's why I want to work out this definition thing. My sense is that when you think hipster you're thinking about the type of person who can afford a quarter-million dollar condo and to shop at trendy, posh stores, yet still pretending to be "alternative." Smoking disgusts them and they drink whisky cocktails. I.E., Wicker Park, Chicago; Uptown, Minneapolis; Williamsburg, Brooklyn; Allston, Boston; Capitol Hill, Seattle; or Logan Circle, DC.

When I think hipster, I think of a twenty-year-old, suburban-raised, white kid living off food stamps and without a car in a burnt-out ghetto neighborhood in Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, or Philly dreaming of someday establishing himself as an artist or trying to get her garage band off the ground. S/he rolls his own cigarettes and drinks malt liquor. I don't think the hipsters of your imagination would have anything to do with hipsters of your imagination, and vice versa.

Though they both are responsible for drastically changing long-established neighborhoods. But they live in different areas.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 08-10-2014 at 10:12 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 10:38 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
so tell me, do you think the hipsters are changing the culture and lifestyle of Houston and Dallas?
Not "changing" it, just a part of it. Just like in any other big city. When I was growing up in Houston in the 70's and 80's, there were plenty of artists, musicians, college students, and intellectuals in some of the inner city neighborhoods. The difference is that back then, those neighborhoods were a LOT more affordable, and weren't at all these trendy zip codes where young professionals wanted to live. Back then, the kind of people who would fit the "neo-hipster" mindset of today were either fleeing to the suburbs, or moving elsewhere. They looked down on "freaky" inner city people. The actual "hip" crowd were social misfits who didn't fit into the 9-to-5 world. More like the types Dawn Davenport described in the post above this one. Hippies, punks, performance artists, hustlers, poets, and the like concentrated mainly in one neighborhood in Houston back then - the Montrose. Those were different times. Today the Montrose is still considered the "hip" part of town, but it's just a different kind of hip. A more homogenized, clean, safe, predictable, gentrified, priveleged version.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 08-10-2014 at 11:01 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 08:43 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think hipster is now a term for any white person under 40 who isn't obese or wearing sweats half the time.
Exactly. You can look up literally every word in the English language and get a passable definition between a couple words and a sentence or two. I love watching people scramble to "define" hipster with multi-paragraph essays and pictures with venn diagrams. "Hipster" is someone projecting their own insecurities onto people younger than them who are part of a different cultural scene the projector is unfamiliar with. Until someone can actually define what this word actually means in a dictionary format that actually holds water in 2014, these threads are and will continue to be 100% bogus.

The actual answer to the OP would then be, "what cities skew the oldest in the United States?" I'm sure that's easy enough to look up.

--From a guy in his 40s who has never had a beard, colored his hair or worn a wacky hat.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:05 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I'll say that I haven't been to most of the South. Only New Orleans, and I saw no hipsters there the few times I've been there.
Really? I saw lots of hipsters in New Orleans when I visited.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:22 AM

716 posts, read 1,237,231 times
There's not many hipsters in most of florida...never seen one in Fort Myers or jacksonville

Old 08-11-2014, 09:32 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
There's not many hipsters in most of florida...never seen one in Fort Myers or jacksonville
You're right. For some reason, they seem to tend to prefer either mid-sized college towns or large cities in areas with a four season climate. I wonder why? Guess maybe those baggy wool hats and skinny jeans are too hot to wear in Florida, even for a hardcore hipster.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:07 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,071 times
It's going to get a little worse before it gets better as the Baby Boom Echo of 1989-1993 rolls its way through college and grad school and into a trendy neighborhood near you.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:34 AM

5,294 posts, read 10,205,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Really? I saw lots of hipsters in New Orleans when I visited.
I lived there for a year. Many hipsters indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.