Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times

Advertisements

LA also gets swiped at quite a bit, although it's got some homers that are pretty good at stepping up. That and every mid sized city that has a metro area less than 1.5 mill gets beat up too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 08:50 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Good for you.

This is a typical sideways snipe that's used so frequently by people on this site. Not just for Houston, but for any place they have preconceived notions about. Why is it so necessary to add gratuitous snark to your comments? Especially when it's about a place you've never even been to? Does it satisfy some insecure inner need to have a false sense of regional superiority? I'll never understand this mentality.
It's not a swipe so knock it off. I don't have any real interest in going, but I'm knocking it either. Don't make assumptions.

I'm one of the biggest defenders of the so-called" flyover " states that exists on City-Data. I love places like Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, etc. Regardless of how it seemed, it wasn't a gratuitous swipe at Houston. People have limited time/budgets that won't allow them to visit every city of every state of every country. I'm sure that Houston would be interesting for me, having never been there, but I don't have a huge interest in going.

Period.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:52 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
It's not a swipe so knock it off. I don't have any real interest in going, but I'm knocking it either. Don't make assumptions.
If that wasn't a swipe, then you came off in a way you didn't intend because it definitely had that tone when I read it.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:53 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,053,159 times
I've only been to Chicago for an airplane connection, so I guess that would be my answer. After that, Indianapolis.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:58 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I don't see how I'm simply "making assumptions", when you clearly had to add... "And honestly, I'll probably never go, either.". That says plenty. And it wouldn't make a difference if you were talking about Houston, or any other city. I'm not sticking up for Houston. I left there for a reason a long time ago.

I just don't understand why anybody would not want to visit some place they've never been. Maybe it's not a priority, but "never"? Nah, that speaks volumes, and it is snark. I don't need to assume when it's right there to see, in plain English. I know the difference. Whatever. If that's your opinion, fine. I just know that I would personally love to travel anywhere I've never been. Especially a big city. I have learned so much in the past by doing so.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 08-13-2014 at 09:07 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 09:01 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Houston- I'm sure I would have a great time if I ever ended up there for whatever reason, but I would never choose it as a destination.
That's how I feel about. Every other city I've been to in Texas (D/FW, SA, Austin, El Paso) I've found amazing food and it's easy to strike up conversation there since Texas is very extroverted, so I know the potential to have a good time in Houston is there. It's just not on the bucket list. There are too many other cities I haven't been to yet that I would much rather see.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:02 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
One reason Houston is the least visited big city is probably it's location. Few would drive through it on a road trip. I have been to nearby cities such as San Antonio and Corpus Christi but never Houston. I changed planes there once and i liked what i saw from the air. I almost got a job there in 1995 and was excited about moving there but it fell through at the last second.

Add me to the list of never having visited Houston.
And I agree it is because of location. I enjoy long road trips and will go a ways out of my way to visit an
interesting city that I have not been to. But Houston has never been any where near a road trip.

Same for the Twin Cities, not on the way anywhere else. I keep envisioning a road trip thru the Black Hills, to Minnesota and around the upper Great Lakes, but it has not happened.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:03 PM

978 posts, read 1,088,346 times
I've only been to the bay area for large cities

Old 08-13-2014, 09:05 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
New York.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:09 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
I don't see how I'm simply "making assumptions", when you clearly had to add... "And I'll probably never go there either". That says plenty. And it wouldn't make a difference if you were talking about Houston, or any other city. I'm not sticking up for Houston. I left there for a reason a long time ago.

I just don't understand why anybody would not want to visit some place they've never been. Maybe it's not a priority, but "never"? Nah, that speaks volumes, and it is snark. I don't need to assume when it's right there to see, in plain English. I know the difference. Whatever. If that's your opinion, fine. I just know that I would personally love to travel anywhere I've never been. Especially a big city. I have learned so much in the past by doing so.
I live in the Northeast, so I hear about the superiority complex, and it does exist, although not as much as you might think. I'm often definding the interior US, but you just assumed that I wouldn't be the type to do that..

I have visited Texas several times, on my own dime, out of curiosity. a number of years ago. After experiencing Dallas/Ft Worth and Austin, I felt that that was enough. Would I like to visit Houston? Sure, but I'm not dying to go. The odds of me visiting Houston, for any reason, are pretty low, again due to other interests in the US, Europe, and maybe the Far East. I can't go everywhere I might have some small interest in seeing..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.