Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 07:10 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times

Advertisements

I see so many repetitive arguments here on C-D about which region has the best climate. The South has the nicer winters and springs, but the North has the nicer summers and falls, as far as being temperate and enjoyable, so it seems like a bit of a draw.

This makes me wonder if the snowbirds haven't found the best compromise, since by spending summers in the North and winters in the South they seemingly get the best of both worlds. However, in order to be a snowbird you have to:

1.) Be able to afford two seasonal homes, either by owning or renting. A lot of people couldn't do that.

2.) Be willing to essentially divide your live in half by leaving your family, friends, daily activitities, church, etc. for several months and either developing some of the same where you spend the other half of your time or put everything on hold until you can go back home. It would be hard to be involved in much if you had to leave and miss out on several months' worth of activities.

3.) Either be able to afford not to work at a steady job or find that rare job where you could do your job from either place. I read a lot of posts here on C-D where people say that they work from home and can live anywhere, but it seems that most people are tied down by their jobs.

So if you had the means to do it, would you consider spending your life split between two climates so that you could avoid the temperature extremes of both, or would you find this to be too disruptive and limiting? Personally, my husband and I are still both employed full-time regionally, so it isn't an option for us right now, but I don't know if I would do it even if we could. It might be nice to try it for a couple of years. Living in lower Michigan, the only months that I would really find the need to do this would be January, February, and possibly early March, so for two and a half months, since I would never want to be gone for Christmas and I love late spring here. I don't know if it would even be worth it.

What do you think?

Last edited by canudigit; 08-16-2014 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 09:21 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
COL and a weak economy make being a snowbird or even wanting to pick up and go almost impossible. The days when people could freely move back and forth are gone. Even the camping/rv sites are either closing down, getting rid of long term camping, or charging incredibly high fees.

Last edited by JMT; 08-18-2014 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Let's leave politics out of this, please.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:31 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
If I could own a condo in the south + live / work in the north... I totally would!

Old 08-16-2014, 11:04 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,891,374 times
It would be fun but I'm poor. In some of the Western states you can be an in-state snowbird; desert in the winter, high country in the summer. There's RV people like that in AZ.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:07 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
I would be a snowbird for two months of the year - January and February. I would have no desire to move outside of WI for more than those two months.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:36 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
No. When would I get any skiing done?

Old 08-16-2014, 02:52 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,648 times
Yes.

I would live in Michigan from April 1 - September 30 and in Michigan from October 1 - March 31.

Michigan has beautiful springs and summers. However, the bitter cold and gray in winter is something I could live without.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:47 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
Yes.

I would live in Michigan from April 1 - September 30 and in Michigan from October 1 - March 31.

Michigan has beautiful springs and summers. However, the bitter cold and gray in winter is something I could live without.
I couldn't leave Michigan for October through December. October here is just incredibly beautiful and enjoyable, and the holidays fall in November and December. I wouldn't want to be away from our extended families for the holidays, plus, I prefer a cold Thanksgiving and Christmas. Snow on Christmas is just the icing on the cake.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:34 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
Nope, that's the whole reason I chose to stay up north was for the climate.

Old 08-18-2014, 05:50 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I couldn't leave Michigan for October through December. October here is just incredibly beautiful and enjoyable, and the holidays fall in November and December. I wouldn't want to be away from our extended families for the holidays, plus, I prefer a cold Thanksgiving and Christmas. Snow on Christmas is just the icing on the cake.

Personally, I want to be out of MI when Jan/Feb hits. I love the snow on Christmas, but after that, I'm done with it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.