Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 11:47 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,965,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
My guess is OP wouldn't meet many women on a trail or in the back country. I mean, if OP thought Minnetonka was slow sending him to the country is going to be even worse.
I never suggested he drive the adventure routes.

I suggested he visit both big and small towns and some of our most amazing natural areas.

If you want to know how America lives, then that's how you do it.

If he'd asked "I want to know the nightlife in American big cities", then that's an entirely different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 11:52 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,256,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
I never suggested he drive the adventure routes.

I suggested he visit both big and small towns and some of our most amazing natural areas.

If you want to know how America lives, then that's how you do it.

If he'd asked "I want to know the nightlife in American big cities", then that's an entirely different story.
He wants to go out. Feel free to give your advice. I think he will meet some girls to hang out with in 1 or 2 days in the cities I mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshua View Post
Going out, mingling with nice girls. No weed, no drug. Really handsome life style. Coming back next year. Will first be n DC

Old 08-16-2014, 11:55 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,863,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
All of the major eastern cities have those towers, including New York.
There are better looking water towers, but not in Chicago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_tower

Old 08-16-2014, 11:59 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,014,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshua View Post
I do not have a clue of how life is in the rest of the American states. All I know is MN, I felt it slow.
Midwest: (probably the most least desirable) And if that was THE TRIP you based America on, I'd
probably never come back Only kidding, guys - its got some beautiful places and some awesome food

BUT

Want to get the different flavors of America and it's history, hit places in the South like

Savannah, GA - Daytona Beach, FL - Biloxi, MS - New Orleans, LA - Nashville & Memphis, TN
Smokey Mountains, NC/TN

Northeast: Anywhere in Maine - Vermont - Pennsylvania Dutch Country

Southwest: Albuquerque - Santa Fe - Gallup - Las Cruces NM
Austin - San Antonio - El Paso TX

West/Northwest: Of course San Francisco, but leave ASAP Has lost it's charm over the years IMO
Southern CA, enter at your own risk
Head up to Lake Tahoe - Napa Valley small towns
Seattle and surrounding areas. Small pockets of Oregon.

NW states like Montana, Wyoming & the Dakotas take a lot of time
and driving but worth it for the pure nature of it.

America is a beautiful country. Well worth visiting time and again

Old 08-16-2014, 12:21 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,866,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Uhhhh... That's pretty open ended.

I find that description fits this: Oregon Back Country Discovery

Having been to a lot of Chicago, I'd say my description fits it amazingly well. You cannot imagine how incredibly depressing most of the town is. Try Maywood, Cicero, West Woodlawn. Drive the length of Diversy... Drive from Stevenson to Kennedy on Cicero, and tell me you don't feel utterly hopeless and in despair by the time you've finished.

It is gutwrenchingly awful.
Chicago is an old city with a lot of old neighborhoods. I'm sure the same is true of every old, well established city in the world once you get off the beaten path.

Most tourists are going to visit the downtown area, with all the museums, the lakefront, Grant Park, Willis Tower, Buckingham Fountain, Michigan Avenue, theaters, Millennium Park, Second City, the clubs on Rush Street and shopping and restaurants downtown. The heart of the city along the lakefront is beautiful with a breathtaking skyline, especially at night. It's an international city that is well worth a visit.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I live outside Detroit and I don't visit Chicago because I don't want to get shot.
You're scared to visit Chicago because you're afraid of getting shot?

Geez...what a chicken.

Chicago is one of the coolest cities in America.

What are you so scared of?

Old 08-16-2014, 01:19 PM

66 posts, read 67,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Midwest: (probably the most least desirable) And if that was THE TRIP you based America on, I'd
probably never come back Only kidding, guys - its got some beautiful places and some awesome food

BUT

Want to get the different flavors of America and it's history, hit places in the South like

Savannah, GA - Daytona Beach, FL - Biloxi, MS - New Orleans, LA - Nashville & Memphis, TN
Smokey Mountains, NC/TN

Northeast: Anywhere in Maine - Vermont - Pennsylvania Dutch Country

Southwest: Albuquerque - Santa Fe - Gallup - Las Cruces NM
Austin - San Antonio - El Paso TX

West/Northwest: Of course San Francisco, but leave ASAP Has lost it's charm over the years IMO
Southern CA, enter at your own risk
Head up to Lake Tahoe - Napa Valley small towns
Seattle and surrounding areas. Small pockets of Oregon.

NW states like Montana, Wyoming & the Dakotas take a lot of time
and driving but worth it for the pure nature of it.

America is a beautiful country. Well worth visiting time and again
Sounds great.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:24 PM

66 posts, read 67,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperthetic View Post
the people in chicago are like rats in a race.

A whole city of grabbers.
:d

Old 08-16-2014, 02:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I live outside Detroit and I don't visit Chicago because I don't want to get shot.
Op if you are as paranoid as this guy, stay away from Chicago and most major cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Because the cities are vibrant and where most people live. OP is free to clarify what he wants, but given his post there is no reason to direct him somewhere that shuts down at 8 or 10PM.
Most people live in the Suburbs. Minnetonka, MN (city that the op visited) is probably a good experience of how most Americans live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're scared to visit Chicago because you're afraid of getting shot?

Geez...what a chicken.

Chicago is one of the coolest cities in America.

What are you so scared of?
Crime rates are down and at record lows and everyone's so paranoid lol.

Old 08-16-2014, 02:40 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,396,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post

Crime rates are down and at record lows and everyone's so paranoid lol.
Especially someone who lives, of all places, outside of DETROIT! Talk about your irony!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.