Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 02:52 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,442,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Of course it felt slow. Minneapolis (not sure if you went there) is only the 47th largest US city.
Really?

47th?

Is it really?

Or are you one of the few people here who still thinks city limit population means anything? Because if so I have news for you.

Indianapolis and Jacksonville are bigger than San Francisco.

Minneapolis alone is bigger than Cleveland, New Orleans, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, and Cincinnati.

Minneapolis and St. Paul combined (which they should be as it is one continuous highly urbanized area that operates as a single city) create the 18th-largest city by city limit population in the US.

And to top it all off OP didn't even say they went to Minneapolis. They listed a bunch of small towns and small cities, of course it felt slow.

This thread is a disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 02:56 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,863,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshua View Post
I do not have a clue of how life is in the rest of the American states. All I know is MN, I felt it slow. I went to Hutchinson, Buffalo, St. Cloud, Wilmar, Minnetonka,,,,, Minnetonka sounded a little bit nice with the cruise. Next year I will be visiting America again, I wish I had friends in DC to take me to places (I would pay for myself and for them). Ages of around 25 - 40 if women. Men should only 33 - 35.
Were you expecting it to be fast paced if you just visited some rural towns and a suburb? That doesn't represent Minnesota at all, nor the rest of America. Did you go into Minneapolis or St. Paul? Not all of Minnesota looks or feels like Wilmar. Those places are supposed to be slow paced, it isn't a bad thing, some people like it that way. Obviously you don't, which is fine, so if you were visiting Minnesota you should have gone into the Twin Cities, rather than staying out in the country. But don't judge the entire state off of a few cities.

Did this sound aggressive? It wasn't meant to be, but this thread is sounding as though the OP's experiences in Hutchinson and Buffalo mean Minneapolis is boring and slow, when he didn't actually go there, or close. I just don't want anybody to have a narrow-minded view of the state based on one person's rather... misinformed experiences.

Old 08-16-2014, 03:45 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Minnetonka, MN (city that the op visited) is probably a good experience of how most Americans live.
Sorry, but I don't think MN is a good indication of how most Americans live.
Not to mention, they talk real funny up there, especially with their O's "ooooo"
And what is up, with that weather

Old 08-16-2014, 05:17 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Chicago is an old city with a lot of old neighborhoods. I'm sure the same is true of every old, well established city in the world once you get off the beaten path.

Most tourists are going to visit the downtown area, with all the museums, the lakefront, Grant Park, Willis Tower, Buckingham Fountain, Michigan Avenue, theaters, Millennium Park, Second City, the clubs on Rush Street and shopping and restaurants downtown. The heart of the city along the lakefront is beautiful with a breathtaking skyline, especially at night. It's an international city that is well worth a visit.
Breathtaking skyline?

Seriously?

Have you SEEN it? One can barely FIND the skyline through the haze much of the time. And no, a lot of tall buildings turning an area into endless gloom with no real sky visible is NOT beautiful. Sorry, I'm not impressed. I've seen a lot of very impressively beautiful scenery, from Alaska to Arizona to Hawaii to Colorado, and not one time has it ever been a city.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,968,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Chicago is an old city with a lot of old neighborhoods. I'm sure the same is true of every old, well established city in the world once you get off the beaten path.
Everything I mentioned IS "the beaten path".

Everyone in the office I work in hates going anywhere east of the line that intersects Elk Grove Village and Monee.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:59 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeshua View Post
I do not have a clue of how life is in the rest of the American states. All I know is MN, I felt it slow. I went to Hutchinson, Buffalo, St. Cloud, Wilmar, Minnetonka,,,,, Minnetonka sounded a little bit nice with the cruise. Next year I will be visiting America again, I wish I had friends in DC to take me to places (I would pay for myself and for them). Ages of around 25 - 40 if women. Men should only 33 - 35.

Lets just say we Minnesotans don't particularly care for that MTV/Kardashian lifestyle you seem to want to experience. Also, you seemed to stay in the boonies your whole trip. While Minnetonka may be in the MSP metro, it is definitely on the outskirts.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:53 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
Lets just say we Minnesotans don't particularly care for that MTV/Kardashian lifestyle you seem to want to experience.
Isn't that Minnesoootians

That LA lifestyle is like the creep - I mean, it gives me the Creeps

The Creep-The Lonley Island Ft. Niki Minaj [Lyrics] - YouTube

Old 08-16-2014, 08:43 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Midwest: (probably the most least desirable) And if that was THE TRIP you based America on, I'd
probably never come back Only kidding, guys - its got some beautiful places and some awesome food

BUT

Want to get the different flavors of America and it's history, hit places in the South like

Savannah, GA - Daytona Beach, FL - Biloxi, MS - New Orleans, LA - Nashville & Memphis, TN
Smokey Mountains, NC/TN

Northeast: Anywhere in Maine - Vermont - Pennsylvania Dutch Country

Southwest: Albuquerque - Santa Fe - Gallup - Las Cruces NM
Austin - San Antonio - El Paso TX

West/Northwest: Of course San Francisco, but leave ASAP Has lost it's charm over the years IMO
Southern CA, enter at your own risk
Head up to Lake Tahoe - Napa Valley small towns
Seattle and surrounding areas. Small pockets of Oregon.

NW states like Montana, Wyoming & the Dakotas take a lot of time
and driving but worth it for the pure nature of it.

America is a beautiful country. Well worth visiting time and again
To see all that I hope he has a big fat wallet...

Anyways ...I think San Francisco would be just what he's lookin' for....

Old 08-17-2014, 05:36 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
You should have actually ventured into Minneapolis or have gove to Chicago if you wanted a more interesting experience.

Old 08-17-2014, 06:16 AM

66 posts, read 67,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
You should have actually ventured into Minneapolis or have gove to Chicago if you wanted a more interesting experience.
I mean, I stayed in Minneapolis-St Paul. I lived in Plymouth and then moved to Bloomington (1 minute) to Mall of America.

I just needed fun and it was so hard to find. I'm writing this with an idea of trying to make friends before I come back. Would love to visit Minneapolis again, I love the people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.