Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2016, 11:33 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,731,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
How can anyone really appreciate anything, regardless of topography, doing 70 on an interstate? As with nearly everything, it's a lot more interesting out of your car.

Also, I will never understand people making the argument that topography is in any way a significant factor in quality of life. Even when there are mountains and oceans nearby, people are usually too busy working, raising families, going to school or watching Dancing with Vapid, 3rd-Rate Celebrities, to take advantage of them.
You make time otherwise it's on you. I live by natural beauty and don't take it for granted one second. We make time to enjoy natural beauty in our backyard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 11:39 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
How can anyone really appreciate anything, regardless of topography, doing 70 on an interstate? As with nearly everything, it's a lot more interesting out of your car.

Also, I will never understand people making the argument that topography is in any way a significant factor in quality of life. Even when there are mountains and oceans nearby, people are usually too busy working, raising families, going to school or watching Dancing with Vapid, 3rd-Rate Celebrities, to take advantage of them.
This x 1000.

I am sure Big Bend National Park offers great hiking and vistas. I could realistically spend a day or two there and then would likely get bored. The fact that is has pretty mountains doesn't mean I rather live Brewster County, Texas over Minneapolis, Columbus, Chicago, Madison, Cleveland etc.

Old 10-07-2016, 11:54 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times
I just Googled Big Bend, and found that the park is shared with Mexico. I guess if you live on the border, you could probably enjoy the park on a frequent basis. The thing about the Great Lakes, is you can live next to them, in a city that offers what a city offers. To me, that trumps a park on the Mexican border, that I would have to drive to and from. It's beautiful, but, at least to me, doesn't trump Great Lakes living.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:02 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I just Googled Big Bend, and found that the park is shared with Mexico. I guess if you live on the border, you could probably enjoy the park on a frequent basis. The thing about the Great Lakes, is you can live next to them, in a city that offers what a city offers. To me, that trumps a park on the Mexican border, that I would have to drive to and from. It's beautiful, but, at least to me, doesn't trump Great Lakes living.
But that was not the discussion. The discussion was that someone said that all of Texas was boring and flat compared to the Midwest. I was trying to show that it isn't.

Oh, and BWCA is just as far from civilization as Big Bend is...

Old 10-07-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
But that was not the discussion. The discussion was that someone said that all of Texas was boring and flat compared to the Midwest. I was trying to show that it isn't.

Oh, and BWCA is just as far from civilization as Big Bend is...
BWCA holds no interest for me...I was speaking of the Great Lakes...those, I love.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:07 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Just googled the big bend - I must say I had no idea that place existed. Absolutely gorgeous!

There are some stunning shorelines in the upper Midwest on the Great Lakes. Northern MN, UP of Michigan, Door County WI.

The Driftless Region in MN/WI is in some places reminiscent of the smoky mountains.

BWCA in Northern MN is an incredible unspoiled northern forest/lakes area.
Those far northern areas are way, way underappreciated by people not from the immediate area.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Those far northern areas are way, way underappreciated by people not from the immediate area.
You're right. I would always choose the Midwest over many areas. It just seems to be easy for some people to "underappreciate" the Midwest. I know that I totally "underappreciate" some other areas of the country, though, so I guess it goes both ways.

Old 10-07-2016, 12:26 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
You're right. I would always choose the Midwest over many areas. It just seems to be easy for some people to "underappreciate" the Midwest. I know that I totally "underappreciate" some other areas of the country, though, so I guess it goes both ways.
I'm from Tennessee, but have lived in Indiana and Iowa. The lower Midwest isn't exactly a pretty place overall (there are exceptions), but much of the lower South isn't it. IMO, there isn't a lot of beauty from like upstate South Carolina/north GA until you get down to central FL or so.

The upper Midwest has a lot of beauty, but nobody except Chicago tourists and locals know about it.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:06 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,102,272 times
Quote:
Challenge: Name one "natural" thing in the Midwest that stands up to Big Bend. We are talking natural scenery here.
The Black Hills in South Dakota is a fair comparison. Not as large an area but has several nice features and an interesting history.

FWIW:
Highest point in Big Bend - Emory Peak at 7825ft
Highest point in Black Hills - Harneys/Black Elk peak at 7242ft.

Old 10-07-2016, 03:10 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,163,461 times
Quote:
someone said that all of Texas was boring and flat compared to the Midwest. I was trying to show that it isn't.
That's not at all what was said. This is:

Quote:
there is no section of the Midwest the size of Texas which is anywhere near as flat as Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.