Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 08:53 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,260,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Whittle, chop fire wood, sew new clothes, boil water for a bath, put new horseshoes on the horses, sharpen knives and tools, read the Bible, play a harmonica, have a square dance in the bar and invite the neighbors from down the road over, can vegetables, etc.
But this is just part of the fun!

We also:

Darn socks by firelight
Make soap out of lye in the backyard
Slaughter a pig and blow up the bladder for kids to play with
Build a barn in a day with the neighbors' help
Pluck a chicken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 09:18 AM

5,496 posts, read 9,437,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
But this is just part of the fun!

We also:

Darn socks by firelight
Make soap out of lye in the backyard
Slaughter a pig and blow up the bladder for kids to play with
Build a barn in a day with the neighbors' help
Pluck a chicken
Don't forget churning butter!

(And, because this has taken on an Amish flavor, and I'm reminded of the movie Witness, another pass-time might be making a hand-carved toy for the children to have fun with.)

Old 12-14-2015, 09:35 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,346,473 times
I loved living in the country from ages 5 to 11. I lived on a dead end gravel road where my grandparents, an aunt, and an uncle lived too. I had a 70 acre playground. Any good weather day I spent walking in the woods and catching and releasing crawdads in the creek. Every now and then all of my little cousins would ride in the back of an old pickup truck to a bigger creek that we'd play in while the adult fixed barbeque.

As an adult I could not live some where that remote, it wasn't just the country, it was an area over an hour from good jobs. I enjoy trying different restaurants too much and everything down there is fast food.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:38 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Don't forget churning butter!

(And, because this has taken on an Amish flavor, and I'm reminded of the movie Witness, another pass-time might be making a hand-carved toy for the children to have fun with.)
I make my kids dolls out of clothespins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.