Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:09 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sogrimey View Post
Portland kinda meh, I wouldnt say it's booming. The job market is pretty mediocre.
Portland was beginning to surge, but the metro's job growth estimate was reduce from 3000 to 1100 for June and July brought a big fat zero in new jobs. The area unemployment rate is 6.1%, right around the national average.

The PDX probably still has too many part-time jobs, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 10:17 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Portland kinda meh, I wouldnt say it's booming. The job market is pretty mediocre.
Same with Pittsburgh. No jobs to support the trendy image.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:07 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Same with Pittsburgh. No jobs to support the trendy image.

On job market rankings Pittsburgh is routinely in the top 10 - top 20.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:11 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,467,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
No, not booming in the "holy crap they're building highways and subdivisions faster than I ever thought possible" sense of the word. But really, who'd want that or any other form of rampant, untrammeled growth?

Philly's population has been steadily growing, and has the 3rd largest downtown population in the nation (people move there because there's lots to do - culturally, restaurants, etc.). The OP's desire was for a large city that's well-suited for young, single people. Downtown Philly (aka "Center City" and nearby 'hoods - Fishtown, Northern Liberties, Queen Village, to name a few - are ideal for this demographic.
I like Philly but the crime is really high and the people are not that friendly to transplants but the city has amazing history. -RL

Old 08-23-2014, 03:56 PM

605 posts, read 669,565 times
Quote:
DC is too expensive to be livable these days, thats why I mentioned Bmore.
Baltimore's job market is okay nothing great, however that city is sort of becoming a large bedroom community for DC as many people who are priced out of DC migrate to Baltimore for cheaper housing costs and commute to DC for their jobs.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:30 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
On job market rankings Pittsburgh is routinely in the top 10 - top 20.
I guess that is why most go to DC.

Old 08-25-2014, 04:43 PM

32 posts, read 55,080 times
What about Kansas City?

Old 08-25-2014, 09:52 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Portland, Oregon is booming.
6.1% is better than some but I wouldn't call it booming. Here's some stats on what could be considered booming based on unemployment rates but as someone mentioned eaerlier, this can be misleading because in cities like Portland, a good deal of the employment is part time and underemployment. Booming to me is full time and good wages.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Last edited by Minervah; 08-25-2014 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: adding link

Old 08-25-2014, 10:50 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,884,402 times
How is Portland booming? There's really not much high rise construction going on in Portland at all. Compare that to the hundreds of buildings that are being built in cities like Miami, Houston, Austin, Seattle... Portland looks lethargic in comparison. Currently, Portland is building another bridge. Besides that, I don't think there's much going on.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:19 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
How is Portland booming? There's really not much high rise construction going on in Portland at all. Compare that to the hundreds of buildings that are being built in cities like Miami, Houston, Austin, Seattle... Portland looks lethargic in comparison. Currently, Portland is building another bridge. Besides that, I don't think there's much going on.
That's misleading because Portlanders don't care for high-rise construction. They don't get enough sunlight to let skyscrapers block out the sun. Right now, the bulk of the construction is going up in the Lloyd District.

I'd give up on "booming" cities and look at cities with under the radar growth like Kansas City or the Twin Cities. I've already decided to "summer" in the Twin Cities next year.

Hopefully, it will go better than this summer's Portland misadventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.