Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 08:50 PM

412 posts, read 545,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
How is Portland booming? There's really not much high rise construction going on in Portland at all. Compare that to the hundreds of buildings that are being built in cities like Miami, Houston, Austin, Seattle... Portland looks lethargic in comparison. Currently, Portland is building another bridge. Besides that, I don't think there's much going on.
Yeah, I know this is old, but how is high rise construction the only indicator of growth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 10:36 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
its hot as hell tho, some people dont like heat/humidity
That's also true but it's nice and cool in the AC though which is where people spend 99% of their time. I always hear people say yeah Houston is hot and yeah Minneapolis is cold but I always feel like this is pretty irrelevant. Most people the only time they spend outside is walking from the car to the house or the car to the office building. Weather is important if you're actually going to be outside every once in a while.

Old 01-19-2015, 11:15 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,882,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
Yeah, I know this is old, but how is high rise construction the only indicator of growth?
It's not the only indicator, but construction booms reflect a rise in demand of either office or housing. This thread is about "booming" cities, so a rapid rise in construction goes hand-in-hand with a growing market.

Old 01-20-2015, 10:53 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
That's also true but it's nice and cool in the AC though which is where people spend 99% of their time. I always hear people say yeah Houston is hot and yeah Minneapolis is cold but I always feel like this is pretty irrelevant. Most people the only time they spend outside is walking from the car to the house or the car to the office building. Weather is important if you're actually going to be outside every once in a while.
Only the elderly and the infirm are inside 99% of the time, though. Weather is a consideration for everyone else, especially people who really enjoy being outside.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:52 PM

412 posts, read 545,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
It's not the only indicator, but construction booms reflect a rise in demand of either office or housing. This thread is about "booming" cities, so a rapid rise in construction goes hand-in-hand with a growing market.
Yes, but high rise construction specifically is not the only way that cities grow.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Only the elderly and the infirm are inside 99% of the time, though. Weather is a consideration for everyone else, especially people who really enjoy being outside.
Not true. I would say your average person is inside about 99% of the time. They're outside a maximum of a few minutes in a 24 hour period. Do the math. If you're outside 1 hour a day you're outside about 4% of the day. If you're outside 15 minutes a day that goes down to about 1% of the day. I would say most people are outside about 5 minutes per day. The time it takes to walk from the front door to the car, a few seconds. The time it takes to go from the car to the office building is usually 2 minutes or less. So let's say that's 3 minutes total. Now double that to go back home. We're talking about being outside 6 minutes in a 24 hour period. That's 4 tenths of 1 percent so way less than one percent even. I'm talking about your typical business day (Monday through Friday). So my point is it doesn't matter how hot or how cold it is, anybody can handle a few minutes in it. Since we're inside all the time a few minutes is nothing.

People like to exaggerate all the time so they always try to make something out of nothing. Texas's summers aren't that bad and Michigan's winters aren't that bad. I've lived in both places. Unlike most people I don't exaggerate it too much.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:38 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
Yes, but high rise construction specifically is not the only way that cities grow.
Charleston, SC is booming and they can't build high rises....I know it may not be a "major" city, but there are some cities that boom in other ways....

Old 01-21-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Not true. I would say your average person is inside about 99% of the time. They're outside a maximum of a few minutes in a 24 hour period. Do the math. If you're outside 1 hour a day you're outside about 4% of the day. If you're outside 15 minutes a day that goes down to about 1% of the day. I would say most people are outside about 5 minutes per day. The time it takes to walk from the front door to the car, a few seconds. The time it takes to go from the car to the office building is usually 2 minutes or less. So let's say that's 3 minutes total. Now double that to go back home. We're talking about being outside 6 minutes in a 24 hour period. That's 4 tenths of 1 percent so way less than one percent even. I'm talking about your typical business day (Monday through Friday). So my point is it doesn't matter how hot or how cold it is, anybody can handle a few minutes in it. Since we're inside all the time a few minutes is nothing.

People like to exaggerate all the time so they always try to make something out of nothing. Texas's summers aren't that bad and Michigan's winters aren't that bad. I've lived in both places. Unlike most people I don't exaggerate it too much.
Well, even in winter during a work day where I have to be inside for 9 hours and in my car commuting for an hour and a half (which is all the daylight available), I'm still outside over 1% of the time. I go outside during the day at work; I go outside at lunch time when I park and walk to wherever I'm eating; I go and warm up the car before and after work. Last night, it was about 25-30 degrees and the lady and I took a walk over to a record store a few blocks away, and then stopped in to a place a few blocks away from that for dinner. The walk itself was maybe a half hour, but if you add my day up I spent about an hour outside yesterday. If it were 100 degrees or 0 degrees, I never would have gone for a walk and I never would have spent any idle time outside.

This August, I was in Orlando for a week and a half. It was 95 with direct sunlight and nearly unimaginable humidity. I was outside around 10 hours a day, every day. It was awful. As awful as for my brother in law who owns a construction company and has spent many 10 hour days out in 3 degrees and negative wind chills.

On weekends, if it's 20 or below, we usually don't hike anywhere or spend days outside. But if it's above freezing, we head out to our favorite spots and hike all day. During the summer, if it's 90 or above we head north to Lake Superior or the Lake Michigan shoreline; if it's still brutal there, we don't do anything outside.

WEATHER PLAYS A LARGE PART IN OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES, AND IF YOU VALUE OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES, YOU WILL SHOEHORN ALL YOU CAN DURING MILD DAYS DURING A SOUTHERN SUMMER OR NORTHERN WINTER. I'm outdoors a lot, and so are many other people. IT MATTERS. Give it up, what are you even arguing?

Though I'm not surprised that someone named "Frodo" spends 99% of his time indoors watching elves and playing video games...

Old 01-21-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Well, even in winter during a work day where I have to be inside for 9 hours and in my car commuting for an hour and a half (which is all the daylight available), I'm still outside over 1% of the time. I go outside during the day at work; I go outside at lunch time when I park and walk to wherever I'm eating; I go and warm up the car before and after work. Last night, it was about 25-30 degrees and the lady and I took a walk over to a record store a few blocks away, and then stopped in to a place a few blocks away from that for dinner. The walk itself was maybe a half hour, but if you add my day up I spent about an hour outside yesterday. If it were 100 degrees or 0 degrees, I never would have gone for a walk and I never would have spent any idle time outside.

This August, I was in Orlando for a week and a half. It was 95 with direct sunlight and nearly unimaginable humidity. I was outside around 10 hours a day, every day. It was awful. As awful as for my brother in law who owns a construction company and has spent many 10 hour days out in 3 degrees and negative wind chills.

On weekends, if it's 20 or below, we usually don't hike anywhere or spend days outside. But if it's above freezing, we head out to our favorite spots and hike all day. During the summer, if it's 90 or above we head north to Lake Superior or the Lake Michigan shoreline; if it's still brutal there, we don't do anything outside.

WEATHER PLAYS A LARGE PART IN OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES, AND IF YOU VALUE OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES, YOU WILL SHOEHORN ALL YOU CAN DURING MILD DAYS DURING A SOUTHERN SUMMER OR NORTHERN WINTER. I'm outdoors a lot, and so are many other people. IT MATTERS. Give it up, what are you even arguing?

Though I'm not surprised that someone named "Frodo" spends 99% of his time indoors watching elves and playing video games...
What am I arguing? I don't know. You tell me. It sounds like you're arguing too. Most people spend 99% of their time indoors. You're the one to be making fun of Frodo. Cheese Plate, what kind of name is that? You must one of those guys that sits on the couch all the time and eats cheese and drinks beer. Come on, you don't take any walks. Just be honest. You're arguing with me because you like to play devil's advocate.

Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 AM

cheese plate = I live in Wisconsin
Frodo = you are a dork

And no, outside of the elderly, most people do NOT spend 99% of their time indoors. That is less than 15 minutes a day. Close if you are a "gamer" who watches a lot of fantasy epics, perhaps, but not for the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.