Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 09:25 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMars View Post
Atlanta has influence over North Florida, Alabama, part of Tennessee, and GEORGIA.
As well as SC, western NC, and parts of MS.

Quote:
I recently moved to Midtown ATL and it intrigues me how delusion CD Atlantans are in comparison to everyday Atlantans. No one here would say "Atlanta has a greater influence over the South". Thats just silly. Atlanta has great influence over the Southeast.
I really wouldn't use comparisons with everyday Atlantans here, especially since 1) many Atlantans are transplants from outside the South and are unfamiliar with the South are a region and 2) CD folks are urban nerds and into this sort of thing, whereas everyday folks really aren't and don't really give too much though to these sorts of topics. That doesn't mean what's said here has no basis in reality.

Quote:
No one in New Orleans is influenced by Atlanta...quite the opposite actually. No one in Houston or Dallas or Austin is influenced by Atlanta. Not even Hot Springs or Little Rock Arkansas is influenced by Atlanta.
"No one"? Not even people who have moved from Atlanta to those cities? LOL But I'm not sure what you mean by "quite the opposite actually;" if Atlanta doesn't influence NOLA, how does NOLA influence Atlanta?

Quote:
These Atlanta posters on CD are in NO WAY representative of the mindset of typical Atlanta residents.
Yeah, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I find this argument an insanely silly one. You can find my arguments around this forum.
Atlanta is no more southern than Houston. Period.
So you don't think that extra-regional influences can dilute the native culture of a city? You still think DC is a Southern city culturally too?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:32 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I find this argument an insanely silly one. You can find my arguments around this forum.
Atlanta is no more southern than Houston. Period.
Nope, Atlanta is way, and I mean WAY(With the capital W) more southern than Houston. Atlanta appeals to the Dixie, "Gone with the Wind" types of Mississippi, and Alabama, and the Appalachian types of the Piedmont. Houston is more of a "rough and tough western" city that has a huge Tex-Mex culture, although the geography might lead one to believe otherwise.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:40 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As well as SC, western NC, and parts of MS.

"No one"? Not even people who have moved from Atlanta to those cities? LOL But I'm not sure what you mean by "quite the opposite actually;" if Atlanta doesn't influence NOLA, how does NOLA influence Atlanta?
Hmm...that's an iffy subject as it mostly has to do with the AA community. Black inner-city people in Atlanta, from my visits, get a good deal of their style and slang from New Orleans. Even sometimes replicating the accent slightly.

From my experience in both cities, New Orleans has more influence on the AA community in Atlanta than vice versa.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:50 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yn0hTnA View Post
Nope, Atlanta is way, and I mean WAY(With the capital W) more southern than Houston. Atlanta appeals to the Dixie, "Gone with the Wind" types of Mississippi, and Alabama, and the Appalachian types of the Piedmont. Houston is more of a "rough and tough western" city that has a huge Tex-Mex culture, although the geography might lead one to believe otherwise.
As said earlier, it is "western/frontier South" as opposed to eastern South...but that doesn't make it any less "Southern"... unless one believes that the South is defined by the images conjured up by the Hollywood creation of "moonlight and magnolias".

I see your general point, but I hope you see that of others who believe the South is more a state of mind and historic and culture region (including religion, speech, linguistics, etc), than just exists in Gone With the Wind, rather than a region generally defined by the Old Confederate and parts of the border states which share more in common with one another than with the states of the Northeast, Midwest, and Far West.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Hmm...that's an iffy subject as it mostly has to do with the AA community. Black inner-city people in Atlanta, from my visits, get a good deal of their style and slang from New Orleans. Even sometimes replicating the accent slightly.

From my experience in both cities, New Orleans has more influence on the AA community in Atlanta than vice versa.
Noooooooooooo no no no no no!!! Not in the least!!! I'm not saying there's anything bad about the style and slang of Black folks in NOLA, but Atlanta has LONG had its own style and slang and such especially since Atlanta has a long-established hip hop/R&B scene.

That whole Cash Money/No Limit style in NOLA is completely different than Dungeon Crew and the rest of the ATL hip hop scene. They are two distinct scenes and I don't find that one necessarily influences the other in any significant way, at least historically.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,596,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidtownMars View Post
These Atlanta posters on CD are in NO WAY representative of the mindset of typical Atlanta residents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
2) CD folks are urban nerds and into this sort of thing, whereas everyday folks really aren't and don't really give too much though to these sorts of topics.
I have noticed this as well, as I am relatively new to C-D. And it's not just the Atlanta people. I've seen more people (from all over the place) stating their opinion as "fact" here than I have on any other internet forum I've participated in. Don't get me wrong, there is also some solid info in these forums as well, but I sure have stepped on some delusional toes, without intending to, more times than I can count since I first started up on C-D.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:56 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,922,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
As said earlier, it is "western/frontier South" as opposed to eastern South...but that doesn't make it any less "Southern"... unless one believes that the South is defined by the images conjured up by the Hollywood creation of "moonlight and magnolias".

I see your general point, but I hope you see that of others who believe the South is more a state of mind and historic and culture region (including religion, speech, linguistics, etc), than just exists in Gone With the Wind, rather than a region generally defined by the Old Confederate and parts of the border states which share more in common with one another than with the states of the Northeast, Midwest, and Far West.
Yep, It makes sense. Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, etc are Southwestern.

Texas and Oklahoma are South Central (equivalent to western south for those in the two states who want to consider themselves southern).

Louisianna, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida(North), Georgia, the Carolinas, etc are Southeast (Akin to "What people think of when they think of the south.")

If you just lump Texas with the rest of the southern states, then the borders would look awkward due to the Texas Panhandle. So to cover that up, Texas and Oklahoma combine to make a region.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:25 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:

As someone who has lived in South Louisiana, I can assure you that culturally, to me, they are almost polar opposites, boarderline night/day quite honestly.

The most palpable difference is the general "come as you are" vibe that permeates New Orleans. They typically could care less where you live, what you drive etc... hell many of my friends there don't even have cars (and it ain't by choice either!) That's honestly one of the principal reasons I fell in love with the place--it's just whatever, and nobody seems to care either way.

Atlanta's general vibe, on the other hand, is about as far from that as one could imagine. People here seem noticeably more concerned with what you're bringing to the table, no doubt about it. It's undeniably more materialistic here, even to the point of "fake it till you make it" if need be. Atlanta is a far, FAR more image concious place than New Orleans, so I just don't see this "influence on the AA community" here outside of Atlanta bounce.

We don't "catch the wall" or "make groceries" here either lol

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 11-26-2013 at 11:39 PM..

Old 11-26-2013, 11:40 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,401,567 times
Quote:

As someone who has lived in South Louisiana, I can assure you that culturally, to me, they are like polar opposites, boarderline night/day quite honestly.

The most palpable difference is the general "come as you are" vibe that permeates New Orleans. They typically could care less where you live, what you drive etc... hell many of my friends there don't even have cars (and it ain't by choice either!) That's honestly one of the principal reasons I fell in love with the place--it's just whatever, and nobody seems to care either way.

Atlanta's general vibe, on the other hand, is about as far from that as one could imagine. People here seem noticeably more concerned with what you're bringing to the table, no doubt about it. It's undeniably more materialistic here, even to the point of "fake it till you make it" if need be. Atlanta is a far, FAR more image concious place than New Orleans, so I just don't see this "influence on the AA community" here outside of Atlanta bounce.

And "no indeed", we don't "catch the wall" or "make groceries" here either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.