Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 02:20 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,574,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post

IMO, a dominate city is a city that entire region looks up to in some way. The Midwest looks to Chicago. The NE looks to New York. The West Coast looks to San Francisco and Los Angeles. But the entire south does not look to Atlanta. Especially Texas.
I feel the same way. The south (including Texas) has yet to establish its leader, but y'all already know that mpope409 knows who it's going to be...

I assure you that Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami will not be "neck and neck" for long. Somebody will come out as the king of this **** we call the SOUTH lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post

But in no way am I saying Dallas and Houston aren't important. I just think that by being so close, they compete against each other more, whereas Atlanta doesn't really have another similar sized city in its region.
The only point you're proving is that Atlanta has two major major towns to compete. Because even in their inner state rivalry, both Dallas and Houston are further along in the game than Atlanta is. That's just a fact.

Old 12-26-2007, 10:39 PM

369 posts, read 1,639,017 times
The reason that it is hard to pick a dominant city in the south is because none of them really badly outshine the others as far as population, commerce, etc. They all kind of work as a unit.
My ranking:
1. Houston.
2. Miami.
3. Dallas.
4. Atlanta.
5. New Orleans
6. Memphis
7. Nashville
8. Charlotte
9. San Antonio
10. Oklahoma City

Old 12-27-2007, 08:03 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva05 View Post
I almost agree wtih you Sothwest. I'm from Houston and have lived in Atlanta for the last 12 years. The South really has to be divided into Southwest and Southeast. All of my friends from tri-state and New England tell me that they never have considered Texas the south . . . even people in Georgia tell me that. It's just too far of a reference point for them. They argue with me that Houston is just not "southern." Vs my friends from Cali and AZ consider Texas the South.
I don't know about New England but yes, there is a great deal of truth in that the further one goes deep and east into the other states of the former Confederacy, the less likely is Texas to be regarded as one of the immediate family. As I wrote on another thread concerning the topic of sorts, a "first cousin" might be more like it.

But yes, folks from out west (including New Mexico and Arizona) see Texas as the South. My lady friend for instance is from Colorado and is emphatic that Texas is not "western" as she defines the West. And I definitely agree. Texas is Texas, but essentially Southern. Historically and culturally it has much more in common with, say, Alabama and Tennessee, that with Colorado, Kansas or Arizona.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:10 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
"Southwest" and "the western south" are not the same thing. The portion of Texas that Dallas sits in has virtually nothing to do with the southwestern U.S.

You say southwest, and I'm thinking New Mexico, Arizona, West Texas, etc.
Absolutely right. And even a goodly portion of west Texas (that is to say, all but the trans-pecos area ala' El Paso) has strong enough Southern inluences to differentiate it quite a bit from New Mexico and Arizona. The term "Southwest" can be extremely confusing and misleading as it often lumps all the states together without making very relevant distinctions in terms of history and culture. Texas (or most of it at least) is the western South, while AZ and NM are the southern West.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
I think in the end it'll be Miami and Houston! It'll sorta be like a LA/SF thing.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 AM

60 posts, read 68,582 times
I think it's based on sphere of influence. I would say Atlanta dominates the Southeast, Dallas dominates the southern plains. Houston really only dominates the gulf states. It's the fourth largest city in the country, but most outside of the region forget about Houston. And Miami's sphere of influence is more Cuba and the Caribbean than anywhere in the U.S. Other areas:

Boston dominates New England
New York dominates the NE
Chicago dominates the midwest
Seattle dominates the NW
LA dominates the SW
Denver dominates the mountain region

Old 12-27-2007, 10:25 AM

1,763 posts, read 5,997,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
I think it's based on sphere of influence. I would say Atlanta dominates the Southeast, Dallas dominates the southern plains. Houston really only dominates the gulf states. It's the fourth largest city in the country, but most outside of the region forget about Houston. And Miami's sphere of influence is more Cuba and the Caribbean than anywhere in the U.S. Other areas:

Boston dominates New England
New York dominates the NE
Chicago dominates the midwest
Seattle dominates the NW
LA dominates the SW
Denver dominates the mountain region
o.k., I think we have a winner here. I completely agree with this post.

I also think mpope409's distinction between the southwest and the western south [Bebops' "southern plains"] is right on the money.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebop View Post
It's the fourth largest city in the country, but most outside of the region forget about Houston.
I wouldn't say most. Houston as a brand name city is seeming to catch on very quickly worldwide.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:20 AM

60 posts, read 68,582 times
i'm not saying Houston is insignificant. I'm just saying if you ask most Americans what's the 4th largest city in the country, most probably wouldn't think Houston. Although I might add Houston's sphere of influence probably includes a little bit of Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.