Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next state to leave the South?
Virginia 37 48.05%
North Carolina 6 7.79%
Georgia 4 5.19%
Florida 20 25.97%
Texas 15 19.48%
Kentucky 2 2.60%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 10:38 AM

31,887 posts, read 34,396,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sigh. Maryland is and always was a border state. It has southern and northern and midatlantic influences - always has and always will.
That's not what a "border" state means. Border states were slave states that didn't secede from the Union during the Civil War.

Quote:
In the context of the American Civil War, the border states were slave states that had not declared a secession from the Union.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_...ican_Civil_War)

After the Civil War, Maryland was clearly a part of the South (as was Kentucky, another border state).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:40 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,423,366 times
Quote:
Ain't it dee troof?

I am just not going to argue about whether Texas, Maryland, or Florida are culturally southern states. IT IS AN EXERCISE IN FUTILITY and a ridiculous thing to argue about anyway. Neither position can be proven one way or the other - EXCEPT that at least Texas and Florida are indeed GEOGRAPHICALLY in the southern part of the US. Maryland is not. And that's a fact, Jack.
Kathryn knows here geography and has great posts. I like this lady!!!!!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 AM

67,666 posts, read 60,237,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That's not what a "border" state means. Border states were slave states that didn't secede from the Union during the Civil War.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_...ican_Civil_War)

After the Civil War, Maryland was clearly a part of the South (as was Kentucky, another border state).
You're choosing a very narrow definition of "border state." I am not using that term on in relation to the Civil War only.
Quote:
bor·der state
noun
any of the slave states that bordered the northern free states during the US Civil War.
a US state that borders Canada or Mexico.
a small country that borders a larger, more powerful country or that lies between two larger countries.
https://www.google.com/search?q=defi...sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Quote:
border state noun

Full Definition of BORDER STATE

sometimes capitalized B&S
a : a state (such as Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Kentucky, or Missouri) bordering on an antislavery state and favoring slavery before the Civil War
b : a state (such as Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, Missouri, Oklahoma, or Tennessee) just north of the Solid South and traditionally voting Democratic
c : a state (such as Montana or North Dakota) bordering on Canada
: a small country (such as Poland) bordering on a larger more powerful country; especially : such a country lying between two larger more powerful countries : buffer state
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...border%20state

Quote:
border state
Syllabification: bor·der state
NOUN

1Any of the slave states that bordered the northern free states during the US Civil War. See also Border States.
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
1.1A US state that borders Canada or Mexico.
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...h/border-state

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 08-27-2014 at 10:55 AM..

Old 08-27-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Kathryn knows here geography and has great posts. I like this lady!!!!!

LOL back atcha!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Sorry...I didn't see that part in there where it says "border states were not southern states."

Kentucky was a border state. Few would argue it's not a part of the South. The same is true of Maryland, only it has become "un-southern" in recent decades.

Quote:
Baltimore once was clearly a Southern city - with all of the pride of the South and all its prejudices.
Is Baltimore A Southern City | Are we Northern? Southern? Yes. - Baltimore Sun

Quote:
As a slave state, Maryland was a sister of the South. Baltimore was the South's second largest port city, after New Orleans.
Stonewall Jackson at Harpers Ferry

Quote:
The Baltimore of the 40s and 50s was a city of gentility, slow living and racial segregation. No one had heard of Martin Luther King..or civil rights...or integration. As in other Southern cities of the time, there were many things Black people in Baltimore couldn't do.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ll+the+fun+pdf

Old 08-27-2014, 10:59 AM

1,524 posts, read 2,848,408 times
Go easy Kathryn, it sounds like BajanYankee is getting frustrated.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Go easy Kathryn, it sounds like BajanYankee is getting frustrated.
Hey! Whatever happened to that source I asked you for?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:29 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,351,100 times
none of them. the southern accent is still thick in most parts of those states.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Quote:
Sorry...I didn't see that part in there where it says "border states were not southern states."
Yeah, me either, because not only do the definitions not say that - I didn't say it either. Great observational skills though!

What I SAID was that from MY perspective - as someone from the "Deep South," Maryland never has "felt southern" to me. It feels MidAtlantic to me. I'm sure it feels and has felt quite "southern" though, to some people. That's common with states that border other regions or countries (aka "border states"). For an example of how this sort of debate can never be proven one way or the other, just mosey on over to the Texas forum and peruse the PLETHORA of threads debating whether or not Texas is a southern state!

I also said that geographically speaking, Maryland doesn't fall within the geographically southern states of the US. Do you agree or disagree?

Old 08-27-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Yeah, me either, because not only do the definitions not say that - I didn't say it either. Great observational skills though!
So we're agreed. Maryland was a southern state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.