Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 09:56 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm not seeking validation. I simply want to know if some regions are more presitigious than others. And if so, why?
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 10:07 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Yes...because prestige is all about perception.

What is perception? My perception about something may differ from yours. Then who is right?

Old 08-27-2014, 10:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
So you think there's no perception difference between Massachusetts and Alabama?
Coming down from Ontario, here's what Neil Young has to tell us about his perception of Alabama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QGMz9beIL0

Banjos playing
through the broken glass
Windows down in Alabama.
See the old folks
tied in white ropes

Can't imgaine a song called "Sweet Home Massachusetts".

Old 08-27-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
What is perception? My perception about something may differ from yours. Then who is right?
Stop it - you're making too much sense.

This reminds me of when people say, "Perception is reality." No, it's not. REALITY is reality.

My husband is color blind. To him, browns and greens look alike. His perception is that there is NO DIFFERENCE between light brown and light green. But...there is. Just because he can't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

"If a tree falls in a forest and nobody hears it, did it make any noise?" Yes.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Coming down from Ontario, here's what Neil Young has to tell us about his perception of Alabama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QGMz9beIL0

Banjos playing
through the broken glass
Windows down in Alabama.
See the old folks
tied in white ropes

Can't imgaine a song called "Sweet Home Massachusetts".
Right, and this is what Lynard Skynard had to say about Neil Young:

Quote:
Well, I heard Mr. Young sing about her
Well, I heard ol' Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

Read more: Lynyrd Skynyrd - Sweet Home Alabama Lyrics | MetroLyrics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye5BuYf8q4o

And yeah, you're right - I can't imagine a song called "Sweet Home Massachusetts" either. Or "Sweet Home Ontario."

The funny thing is, around here (east Texas) the minute "Sweet Home Alabama" starts playing, it brings the crowd to it's feet - EVERYONE - black, white, hispanic, you name it. The high school band played that song at a football game a couple of years ago around here, and the entire stadium jumped to it's feet and started dancing - young, old, black, white, Latino, you name it.

What a great song - thanks for referencing it. I do believe it's a bit more popular than any of Neil Young's diatribes against the American South.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:20 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
I know I definitely look to Neil Young when I want an unbiased opinion on something!

Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I know I definitely look to Neil Young when I want an unbiased opinion on something!
Oh, absolutely! Bless his heart.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:27 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
I can't imagine a "sweet home Massachusetts" either.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:31 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I can't imagine a "sweet home Massachusetts" either.
I can, but I don't see it being sung by the old money elitists Mass residents would want us to picture populating the state. Rather I hear the moaning of incoherent drunk redsox fans.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:53 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, absolutely! Bless his heart.
Can't get more southern than "bless his heart". Especially when you're being critical of him at the same time.

Neil Young actually got along well with Lynyrd Skynyrd. He played "Sweet Home Alabama" live after the band member's death in a plane crash. Neil Young's commented on his song deacades later:

I don't like my words when I listen to it. They are accusatory and condescending, not fully thought out, and too easy to misconstrue

Sweet Home Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.