Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:48 PM

587 posts, read 1,410,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I do strongly agree with your post but mentioning PG County seemed to be an error.

Why did you mention Prince Georges County when only 9% of it's residents live under the poverty line compared to a national average of 15%? Just because an area is predominately black doesn't mean they're apart of a "permanent underclass".

But again, I agree with the rest of your post. Every society definitely does have a balance of wealth and poverty.

Prince George's County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
PG County used to average about 200 murders a year just a few years ago . PG County is around 800K people. That is a very high murder rate for any population of that size. To say that the crime-ridden inner beltway communities in PG bordering NE & SE DC "aren't that bad" would be an ugly lie. The murder rate in inner beltway PG County has always been insanely high. Like a PCP high *wink*. PG County may be the richest black-majority county in America, but overall PG county doesn't even crack the top 25 richest counties in America list. PG County does have much black wealth and it is evident. But I was alluding to the substantial ghettoized black poverty that exists in every major East Coast city in my post and it was obvious.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 08-31-2014 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 09:13 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,896 times
I would say the Midwest is not very prestigious and the East Coast is. It's not political, the East Coast just has much more history (13 Colonies) and NY is pretty much the heart of the US (not in location).

Old 09-01-2014, 09:30 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Agreed. Though I kind of wish this thread had been closed MUCH earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Brilliant post!

Close thread.
It's 9/1 today and the thread is still opened.

Maybe if we turn this thread into a politcal discussion, the mods will close it.

Sooo...who wants to start the political party bashing?

Old 09-01-2014, 09:32 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
It's 9/1 today and the thread is still opened.

Maybe if we turn this thread into a politcal discussion, the mods will close it.

Sooo...who wants to start the political party bashing?

I hate Republicrats!

Old 09-01-2014, 12:16 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,601 times
Warren Buffet lives in Omaha, Nebraska

I'm almost 100% sure he's more prestigious than all of us combined

Old 09-01-2014, 12:29 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,922,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Warren Buffet lives in Omaha, Nebraska

I'm almost 100% sure he's more prestigious than all of us combined
Absolutely!

Old 09-01-2014, 04:31 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,281,186 times
At this point, the posters who continue to trash the premise of this thread are the ones that are keeping it going. I don't agree with the idea of one region being more prestigious than the other, but it doesn't seem like anyone else does either. So I'm not sure how this thread has been going for 9 pages. 5 out of 9 pages of this thread are pretty much sarcasm. If you want it to close, then don't give it life.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:35 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Yes...because prestige is all about perception.
You're an awfully insecure person to worry about such things.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:20 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I wish this thread came with a poll. I'd be willing to bet a hefty amount the ranking from most prestigious to least would be: 1) Northeast, 2) West, 3) Midwest, 4) South.
Thanks.

The reason I asked is that there seems to be a lot of fighting on City-Data to be included in some regions over others. For example, if I said...

"______ reminds me of a small town in New England."

...there would be little resistance or pushback against that statement no matter how ridiculous the comparison seems. However, if I said...

"______ reminds me of a place I went to in Georgia."

...I get a lot of fuss ("_____ has absolutel NOTHING in common with Georgia!"). Not quite sure why that's the case...

Old 09-10-2014, 08:18 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,464,896 times
The Midwest has replaced the South as the new pariah region. Very little in migration and tons of out migration. I'm not so sure the South hasn't went from worst to first in just a couple decades. That's what population growth says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.