Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should we move?
Minneapolis, MN 17 43.59%
Boston, MA 3 7.69%
Tacoma, WA 9 23.08%
Madison, WI 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis still has that isolated location however, everytime i go to Southern Wisconsin i feel like i'm more closer to humanity. but you still have all the beautiful scenery Minnesota has to offer in Wisconsin.

the only negative is the Packer fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 11:42 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
Shouldn't have a problem in any of them. You might possibly feel a little out of place in Madison but I don't think it would ruin the city for you.

Same as above, this shouldn't be an issue in any of these cities.

Tacoma is probably the LEAST prepared for snow removal of the four. There will be more snow than in Baton Rouge, but it's rare enough that they still aren't as efficient dealing with it as they are in Minneapolis/Madison/Boston.

Good for all four.

Minneapolis and Tacoma have huge east Asian populations, and that comes with a load of GREAT cuisine from all around east Asia. Boston is an enormous city, so there again there will be no problem finding what you're interested in. I'm actually going to give this one to Minneapolis since it has the combination of cosmopolitan size and east Asian population (granted Tacoma is adjacent to powerhouse Seattle so it's no slouch).

Obviously Madison is the quietest of the four, but I still don't imagine this will be a big problem in any of them. Boston maybe but like any city, you just have to keep your head when you're walking at night.

Like #5, this one is Minneapolis/Boston > Tacoma > Madison.

Boston is probably out of your price range. You should be in good shape in the rest.

It sounds to me like you're looking for a bigger city than Madison. I love Madison, but it isn't big or particularly diverse. Boston is very expensive - VERY expensive, like approaching San Francisco expensive. Tacoma and Madison are both pretty affordable and Minneapolis is a bit more expensive, but still totally possible for a normal person. Tacoma is ill-equipped to handle snowfall and icy roads.

For you, I would say:
1. Minneapolis
2. Tacoma
3. Madison
4. Boston
I have been to every city except Madison and I would rank them in the same order.

If you can deal with the cold and snow, you will be very happy with Minneapolis, especially as a mixed couple.

If you can deal with the rain and gloom, you will do well in Tacoma.

Whatever you decide, I hope that you two find a place where you will be happy and prosper.

God bless

Old 08-29-2014, 01:11 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,620,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanObservor View Post
Keep in mind that Seattle and Tacoma are pretty warm in the summer. In August, for example 20 out of 29 days so far were above 80 degrees and there were a few days above 90.
True, though all of those cities trend about the same warmth in summer (Tacoma in generally will be slightly lower), and the big difference is that avg. humidity is much, much lower. Relative humidity in Tacoma in August is about 50% - the other three will all fall between 80-85%.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:48 PM

765 posts, read 899,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
How is rent in Tacoma with it being fairly close to Seattle and with Seattle's huge current population growth? Is the rent increasing quickly as people are priced out of Seattle?

Glad to hear that construction is booming, my husband loves doing that type of work so he'll be pleased to hear that
It depends on what neighborhood you are looking at. Downtown is patchy with some residences being very expensive and others I have found some as low as 650 a month. But basically you will get what you pay for and I would not recommend an an apartment for 650 a month. For like a 2 bedroom apartment for 1000 a month I would say the lower part of West End, and U.P. you could probably find something decent. East side and South Tacoma should be avoided. Both are getting better but it is still kind of sketchy. Hilltop is a toss because it has been gentrified and becoming less ghetto by the second and has some really cool projects going on and is a pretty cool neighborhood but it is something you would have to look into because some of it is still less desired, high crime etc. I'm not really sure the amount of space you are looking for but you could probably find something in any neighborhood for 1000 a month but neighborhoods such as Northend, Stadium District, Old Town, Northeast, close to 6th ave, and parts of West end you won't get as much for your money. Those places will however offer you a better quality of life with more to do and are safer areas. But Unfortunately yes, to answer your question people are being priced out of Seattle so that is something to keep in mind. The truth is that the Seattle metro area is becoming more of an expensive place to live. On the flip side, you will most likely be compensated and the pay should equal the rising prices. You don't have to limit yourself to Tacoma though. But keep in mind Pierce County is cheaper than King County, so although you might be able to get a cheaper place in, for example Federal Way, the taxes are much higher. Hope that helped!

Old 08-29-2014, 06:11 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,863,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmcgrath View Post
The number one reason I am moving is due to weather. I have a heart condition where I faint in the heat, so I need somewhere cold.
I've never been to Boston, but I've been to the other 3. Definitely go with Tacoma. Tacoma may get a hot spell, but it'll be shorter & less intense compared to Madison & Minneapolis. Plus Tacoma is underrated! If you like the outdoors (I know you didn't mention this) or natural beauty, then Tacoma is especially hard to beat. Mt Rainier is visible on any clear day. The Sound, Port defiance, gardens, trails, & mountain views are gorgeous.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 AM

172 posts, read 255,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I have been to every city except Madison and I would rank them in the same order.

If you can deal with the cold and snow, you will be very happy with Minneapolis, especially as a mixed couple.

If you can deal with the rain and gloom, you will do well in Tacoma.

Whatever you decide, I hope that you two find a place where you will be happy and prosper.

God bless
Thanks! I'm having a hard time deciding between Minneapolis and Tacoma now. Maybe I'll try applying to jobs in both cities and see what I can get

Old 09-01-2014, 02:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Minneapolis is by no means cheap!
Twin Cities average rent breaks $1,000 barrier for first time [GRAPHICS] | City Pages

Also, the winter there can be really rough. Heck, I live in the Denver metro area in Colorado and many southerners can't handle OUR winter, which is is *WAY* and I mean *WAY, WAY* less harsh than Minnesota's.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States
Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 7°F to 83°F and is rarely below -11°F or above 92°F. . . .The cold season lasts from November 26 to March 4 with an average daily high temperature below 34°F. The coldest day of the year is January 11, with an average low of 7°F and high of 22°F. . .

Old 09-01-2014, 08:34 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Tacoma is pretty ghetto. I'm not fond of it.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Tacoma is pretty ghetto. I'm not fond of it.
Really, why is it ghetto lots of crime or just rundown? Did you live there or in a surrounding area? What would be your suggestion for a better area?

Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Minneapolis is by no means cheap!
Twin Cities average rent breaks $1,000 barrier for first time [GRAPHICS] | City Pages

Also, the winter there can be really rough. Heck, I live in the Denver metro area in Colorado and many southerners can't handle OUR winter, which is is *WAY* and I mean *WAY, WAY* less harsh than Minnesota's.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/30...-United-States
Over the course of a year, the temperature typically varies from 7°F to 83°F and is rarely below -11°F or above 92°F. . . .The cold season lasts from November 26 to March 4 with an average daily high temperature below 34°F. The coldest day of the year is January 11, with an average low of 7°F and high of 22°F. . .
It would be freezing but I'm not sure how much it would bother me. I am slightly used to snow since I grew up in St. Louis, MO until age 8. The most important thing to me is to find somewhere not super humid with summers not getting much above 85. I'd much rather have freezing winters than 100 degree summers. You can add on clothes when it's snowing and build a fire if all else fails, but you can't take off your skin in the heat or have anything to keep you cool if the power goes out down here in Louisiana. Seriously, a few weeks ago we had a heat index of 110 and even in my underwear in front of the a/c I was sweating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.