Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 22.66%
Pennsylvania 14 10.94%
Delaware 7 5.47%
Maryland 49 38.28%
West Virginia 11 8.59%
Virginia 18 14.06%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 02:51 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I am going to have to read over some things pertaining to the area's history...no doubt the Baltimore area seems like the Delaware Valley with some Chesapeake Bay culture thrown in. Whereas DC just comes off different than Baltimore. I'm going to check into it so that I can give a thorough reply but my premise is that it's more similar to Philadelphia (even though there are plenty of differences in things like the accent and Baltimore's lack of amenities compared to Philadelphia).
What amenities does Philly have that Baltimore doesn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Well it's kind of a Personal test, and NYC or Philly city may not match the requirements but the Suburbs do (due to lack of urban heat Island).
As for Southern NJ it's impossible to culturally sepreate it from NNJ/Philadelphia so it sticks to the Northeast
I would also say it's not necessary every year, just most years there is a snowpack (DC/MD haven't had one since 2009/2010 winter I believe)
The weather in NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC are pretty similar. Also, there are parts of Maryland that see much more snow than anywhere in NJ.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:21 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
The weather in NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and DC are pretty similar. Also, there are parts of Maryland that see much more snow than anywhere in NJ.
1) the areas of MD that get more snow than NJ are way up in the mountains. Using the mountains as a metric NH is uninhabitable due to super high winds.
2) NYC gets about 70% more snow than DC, that is Signifigant as well as 5F cooler which allows snow to stick around longer.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
1) the areas of MD that get more snow than NJ are way up in the mountains. Using the mountains as a metric NH is uninhabitable due to super high winds.
2) NYC gets about 70% more snow than DC, that is Signifigant as well as 5F cooler which allows snow to stick around longer.
5 degrees isn't as significant as the amount of snow the two cities receive. However, I'd assume that DC is no more a stranger to snow than other cities to its northeast. Nor'Easters cripple the whole Bos-Wash corridor usually. Furthermore, it also depends on what part of the DC metro area that snow totals are being taken. For example, Baltimore's snow totals are taken about 5 miles south of the city at BWI. The snow totals in the city and to its north and west are usually several inches more.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:54 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Good job of displaying Northeastern sarcasm at it's finest lol. You are originally from Philly and you know that isn't true.
There's also Baltimore Freeway ("Freezer!") and a long history of hip hop that Philly lacks. Philly doesn't have the attitude for someone like Beanie Sigel, the Charles Street Bully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swlUtEkXZ0

Old 08-29-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
There's also Baltimore Freeway ("Freezer!") and a long history of hip hop that Philly lacks. Philly doesn't have the attitude for someone like Beanie Sigel, the Charles Street Bully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1swlUtEkXZ0
You can keep Beans, we have more than enough idiots running around here in and out of jail.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:15 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
You can keep Beans, we have more than enough idiots running around here in and out of jail.
Seriously, though, why didn't Baltimore and DC have anybody on Ruffhouse, Interscope/Ruff Ryders, Def Jam, Rocafella, etc?

Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,752 times
Whith this logic you're calling VA a Northern state Rocafella had a VA singer, D Block/Ruff Ryders had an NC group, and do you remember Wu-Syndicate they were from VA but was with Wu-Tang

Old 08-29-2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Seriously, though, why didn't Baltimore and DC have anybody on Ruffhouse, Interscope/Ruff Ryders, Def Jam, Rocafella, etc?
They probably didn't like the artist presented to them. They had southern artist, however, so it's not like they were bias. Scarface, Ludacris, Yung Won, fien were all signed Defjam or RR. Baltimore seemed to have excelled more with R&B. King Los was signed to Bad Boy until a few months ago, but you know how that usually goes. Los is one the best lyricist out, and I would put money on him being the best at freestyling off the head.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,057,343 times
I wonder how Beanie Sigel would pronounce Maryland. Probably not Murlind, I don't believe. That said, I think his accent is a good example of a transitional Northeast accent. He and Jay-Z pronounce a lot of words similarly but Beanie's is a bit more Mid-Atlantic rather than the traditional Northeastern associated with Jay and the other NYC acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.