Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 22.66%
Pennsylvania 14 10.94%
Delaware 7 5.47%
Maryland 49 38.28%
West Virginia 11 8.59%
Virginia 18 14.06%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times

Advertisements

^ Ok. I guess delaware is not quite dixie but still a little country lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 09:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Looking at the list, didn't West Virginia already "secede" from the South? I mean, it became a state when Virginia seceded - it broke away and joined the Union as it's own separate state.

Old 08-30-2014, 10:39 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Looking at the list, didn't West Virginia already "secede" from the South? I mean, it became a state when Virginia seceded - it broke away and joined the Union as it's own separate state.
No, it did not. There was almost no vote for statehood in 75% of West Virginia. If Virginia hadn't pulled the 20 or so regiments of West Virginia's Confederate soldiers from West Virginia and used them to defend Richmond rather than West Virginia then the state would still be intact. It was divided in the same way countries were divided in Europe after WWI.

Staunton Spectator, Jan. 14, 1862, Augusta County

West Virginians at Gettysburg, Youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWxqIUdbfo

Old 08-30-2014, 10:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
No, it did not. There was almost no vote for statehood in 75% of West Virginia. If Virginia hadn't pulled the 20 or so regiments of West Virginia's Confederate soldiers from West Virginia and used them to defend Richmond rather than West Virginia then the state would still be intact. It was divided in the same way countries were divided in Europe after WWI.

Staunton Spectator, Jan. 14, 1862, Augusta County

West Virginians at Gettysburg, Youtube video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNWxqIUdbfo
My bad. I thought that when WV broke away from VA and was admitted into the Union in 1863, that meant it had "seceded" from the South.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:18 PM

622 posts, read 948,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
It's a heavily north influenced state indeed. The answer is NJ however.
New Jersey reaches as far south as Washington DC. If you still think Delaware is not a northeastern state, then New Jersey should give away its southern counties to Delaware. Otherwise, Delaware will always be a northeastern state.

Last edited by muppethammer26; 08-30-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 02:57 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
New Jersey reaches as far south as Washington DC. If you still think Delaware is not a northeastern state, then New Jersey should give away its southern counties to Delaware. Otherwise, Delaware will always be a northeastern state.
There you go with that logic again, didn't we already talk about this? What was the reason Virginia is not a northeastern state again?

Old 08-30-2014, 05:18 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My bad. I thought that when WV broke away from VA and was admitted into the Union in 1863, that meant it had "seceded" from the South.
Most people believe that. Here's a short video that explains much of what happened in WV. It's best to watch it in "full screen", as there is a lot of scrolling text, the "pause" button is useful too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AusEJhzHXN8

Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
They probably didn't like the artist presented to them. They had southern artist, however, so it's not like they were bias. Scarface, Ludacris, Yung Won, fien were all signed Defjam or RR. Baltimore seemed to have excelled more with R&B. King Los was signed to Bad Boy until a few months ago, but you know how that usually goes. Los is one the best lyricist out, and I would put money on him being the best at freestyling off the head.
I really meant why DC and Baltimore never had anyone big in the rap game, period. Unless, of course, you want to call Tim Trees a "big" time rapper.

I also meant why Baltimore never produced an "Up North" sound a la Cassidy, Jadakiss, DMX, Styles P, etc.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:20 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,953,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I really meant why DC and Baltimore never had anyone big in the rap game, period. Unless, of course, you want to call Tim Trees a "big" time rapper.

I also meant why Baltimore never produced an "Up North" sound a la Cassidy, Jadakiss, DMX, Styles P, etc.
I'm not from DC, so I really can't speak on them. However, I'll say that Wale doesn't have a "southern" sound. Also, Philly and NYC don't have the same sound. Tim Trees was a local artist, I'm not sure how big he became outside of Baltimore. The biggest rapper from Baltimore would be King Los, he's also not a southern style southern artist. Other than that, I really don't know why Baltimore never had a superstar rapper like other southern cities.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:49 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
I'm not from DC, so I really can't speak on them. However, I'll say that Wale doesn't have a "southern" sound.
If you listen to Wale pre-Attention Deficit, his beat construction was most certainly "southern."
Fat Trel and Comp also have characteristically southern beat production.

Quote:
Also, Philly and NYC don't have the same sound.
Both New York and Philly are characteristically "East Coast." Way more sampling. More high hat and long snare. More kick as opposed to 808. Content-wise, much more craven.

Quote:
Tim Trees was a local artist, I'm not sure how big he became outside of Baltimore. The biggest rapper from Baltimore would be King Los, he's also not a southern style southern artist. Other than that, I really don't know why Baltimore never had a superstar rapper like other southern cities.
There aren't too many "southern style artists" coming out nowadays since that style is fading away and being replaced by a more general sound that's southern influenced (i.e., Big Sean, Young Money, Tyga, etc.). Club DJs can forever be thankful to the South for addicting people to heavy 808 beats, which means they no longer have to worry about scratching, mixing or otherwise possessing any real skills DJs had in the 90s.

That said, the Philly/NYC sound doesn't fit Baltimore or DC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-k_w7G-1U
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.