Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 22.66%
Pennsylvania 14 10.94%
Delaware 7 5.47%
Maryland 49 38.28%
West Virginia 11 8.59%
Virginia 18 14.06%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:26 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If you listen to Wale
pre-Attention Deficit, his beat construction was most certainly "southern."

Fat Trel and
Comp also have characteristically southern beat production.

Both New York and Philly are characteristically "East Coast." Way more sampling. More high hat and long snare. More kick as opposed to 808. Content-wise, much more craven.

There aren't too many "southern style artists" coming out nowadays since that style is fading away and being replaced by a more general sound that's southern influenced (i.e., Big Sean, Young Money, Tyga, etc.). Club DJs can forever be thankful to the South for addicting people to heavy 808 beats, which means they no longer have to worry about scratching, mixing or otherwise possessing any real skills DJs had in the 90s.

That said, the Philly/NYC sound doesn't fit Baltimore or DC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-k_w7G-1U
Producers in most cities have adopted 808 beats except maybe LA and the Bay Area. also, that particular song from the East Coast could have possibly been a part of their demise. Wale and Fat Trel use the same southern influenced beats found the other East Coast artist (Meek Mill, French Montana) use. The southern style of rap is still dominant in hip-hop. Today, save for a few artist, the beats do all of the work for artist while they just spit garbage. Jada, is a very talented rapper (one of the best ever IMO), but he's not putting up the same numbers that he and the rest of the East Coast did pre 2003 because of his NYC style. Baltimore and DC shouldn't want to sound like NYC or Philly, they should adopt their own styles of rap. Beanie couldn't be mistaken for a NYC artist, Jay-Z couldn't be mistaken for a Philly artist, DC artists can't be mistaken for a Baltimore artist and vice versa. Baltimore rappers shouldn't have to sound like Big KRIT just because they're both southern. Also, I think that people agree that southern artist are more relatable than NYC, at least from what I've been told. Plus, their doesn't seem to be much innovation coming from up that way anymore. It just seems to be nostalgia, and copying the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 04:02 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Wale and Fat Trel use the same southern influenced beats found the other East Coast artist (Meek Mill, French Montana) use.
Fat Trel goes beyond being southern influenced. It's southern from the cadence to the rhyme scheme to the rapid high hat. Even as far back as 2001, before southern hip hop became as influential as it is today, you heard much of that influence in a local rapper named Blizz (who sucked and obviously didn't make it, but was DC's greatest hope at that time). DC and Baltimore's musical and fashion tastes as well as their general temperament largely ran counter to NYC/Philly/Boston, which is why Black people in the latter consider them more southern.

Quote:
Today, save for a few artist, the beats do all of the work for artist while they just spit garbage. Jada, is a very talented rapper (one of the best ever IMO), but he's not putting up the same numbers that he and the rest of the East Coast did pre 2003 because of his NYC style.
Guys like Jada, Cass and Beans stay in that East Coast lane. It doesn't do well commercially, but that's the music they want to make, and cats in Philly and NYC still want to hear that type of music (in addition to everything else).

Quote:
Beanie couldn't be mistaken for a NYC artist, Jay-Z couldn't be mistaken for a Philly artist, DC artists can't be mistaken for a Baltimore artist and vice versa.
They are both recognized as "Up North" artists because the production is (was) the same. Boston (Gangstarr, Benzino, Untouchables, etc.), NYC and Philly hip hop all sounds very similar because the producers overlap. And they all have that "attitude" in common anyway.

Memphis Bleek and Beanie Sigel - My Hood To Your Hood - YouTube

Old 09-02-2014, 04:27 PM

Boston had more of a NYC Sound than Philly. We may not be hearing the same thing. Again, I can't speak on DC because I don't really know what their style of rap is outside of Wale. The attitude (bravdo) tha you could be referring to is common amongst a certain demographic in all cities across the country, so that attitude is sorta what makes hip hop what it is. To my ears, Baltimore sounds East Coast. Beats really depend on the region from the person in which it was acquired, so they don't make the rappers themselves sound anymore or less southern; the rappers themselves tilt the scale as far as sound and style. Also, they have to go by what their label tells them. Most rappers today have that southern influenced music except for Cali.

Bossman, to me, sounds East coast, but he's from Baltimore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NcPyQVPD5k

Last edited by KodeBlue; 09-02-2014 at 04:54 PM..

Old 09-02-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Boston had more of a NYC Sound than Philly. We may not be hearing the same thing.
Clearly not.

Quote:
The attitude (bravdo) tha you could be referring to is common amongst a certain demographic in all cities across the country, so that attitude is sorta what makes hip hop what it is.
"Attitude" means, to me, a certain type of abrasiveness. That can be heard in the actual production of the track itself as well as the lyrical delivery.

Quote:
To my ears, Baltimore sounds East Coast.
To the right person's ears, Garth Brooks could sound like Biggie Smalls. That doesn't make it so.

Quote:
Bossman, to me, sounds East coast, but he's from Baltimore.

Bossman - Off Da Record - YouTube
That's not a typical East Coast sound. If anything, that would pass for something coming out of the Bay Area. New York is definitely not listening to that. We'll pump some Beanie Sigel and Cass though.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:46 PM

Philly rap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXlhoaGoNlA

Old 09-02-2014, 06:12 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,187,112 times
Quote:
If you listen to Wale
pre-Attention Deficit, his beat construction was most certainly "southern."

Fat Trel and
Comp also have characteristically southern beat production.

Both New York and Philly are characteristically "East Coast." Way more sampling. More high hat and long snare. More kick as opposed to 808. Content-wise, much more craven.

There aren't too many "southern style artists" coming out nowadays since that style is fading away and being replaced by a more general sound that's southern influenced (i.e., Big Sean, Young Money, Tyga, etc.). Club DJs can forever be thankful to the South for addicting people to heavy 808 beats, which means they no longer have to worry about scratching, mixing or otherwise possessing any real skills DJs had in the 90s.

That said, the Philly/NYC sound doesn't fit Baltimore or DC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-k_w7G-1U
Exactly. That Philly/NYC northeastern or "east coast" rap" sound applies to the females too. Eve, Ms Jade, (Philly) Lil Kim, Foxy Brown (NYC) all have that sound and they all sound similar.

Eve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N9P...e_gdata_player

Ms Jade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUPO...e_gdata_player

Foxy Brown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4wB...e_gdata_player

Lil Kim

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIPu...e_gdata_player

Old 09-02-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Exactly. That Philly/NYC northeastern or "east coast" rap" sound applies to the females too. Eve, Ms Jade, (Philly) Lil Kim, Foxy Brown (NYC) all have that sound and they all sound similar.
Well, KodeBlue will just say they all sound like people from Baltimore, so there's no point in even posting anymore.

In case you haven't heard, Baltimore is the new Philly. We've been ____ ridden and swaggerjacked to death. It's only a matter of time before they start wearing Dickie's coveralls and claiming that Rita's Italian Ice was invented in Towson.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Clearly not.

"Attitude" means, to me, a certain type of abrasiveness. That can be heard in the actual production of the track itself as well as the lyrical delivery.

To the right person's ears, Garth Brooks could sound like Biggie Smalls. That doesn't make it so.

That's not a typical East Coast sound. If anything, that would pass for something coming out of the Bay Area. New York is definitely not listening to that. We'll pump some Beanie Sigel and Cass though.
I think Philly rap is more abrasive than NYC, especially battle rap. Also, to reiterate what I said earlier, people aren't really checking for that NYC/northeastern sound anymore. The south has been dominant for 11 years now, and even 50 cent, the biggest artist out if NYC in the past 10 years, isn't selling. If you want to say Philly and NYC are the same, OK. If you don't think Bossman sounds like an east coast rapper, that's cool too. Garth Brooks sounding like Biggie, lets be rational here. If I was a Philly rapper, I would want to distinguish myself from anything that sounds like NYC, but then again, I'm 90 miles in the other direction in the Dirty South, so I don't know what that "northeastern" mindset is up there. I know that Baltimore rappers don't sound like your more "traditional" southern rappers. NYC/Philly can hold on to that traditional sound all they want to, but they won't be rapping to pay the bills; they'll just be rapping for the love of the game since they won't sell many records.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Well, KodeBlue will just say they all sound like people from Baltimore, so there's no point in even posting anymore.

In case you haven't heard, Baltimore is the new Philly. We've been ____ ridden and swaggerjacked to death. It's only a matter of time before they start wearing Dickie's coveralls and claiming that Rita's Italian Ice was invented in Towson.
None of those female rappers sound like anything that I've heard from Baltimore. They don't sound southern, that's probably why they don't sell. Nicki signed to a southern label and she's eating hardy down here in the south. ...Meek is too. Dickies is a LA thing, so I don't think Baltimore will claim that. Dirt Bikes, that's a Baltimore thing, I don't think anybody from the "quintessential northeast" would want to claim that. You know us country folks got a lot of open dirt roads here in Bmore.

By the way, Bajan aren't you from Philly?

Old 09-04-2014, 12:54 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times
So...I am trying to now figure out if KodeBlue thinks Baltimore is in the South or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.