Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 22.66%
Pennsylvania 14 10.94%
Delaware 7 5.47%
Maryland 49 38.28%
West Virginia 11 8.59%
Virginia 18 14.06%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 11:01 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol you know what's funny, it's like the OP finally fooled you all into pretty much determining where the ending point of the "Northeast" or least the cooridor ends, based on your back and forth arguing. No where did the OP insinuate that Maryland should be considered here, yet this entire thread has been turned into another Maryland vs south/NE thread. You people can be so naive without even knowing sometimes, meanwhile let the poll do the talking. By the looks of it you guys have answered your own questions. lol
What? Ok it is late and I just got home and I am totally confused about you are saying here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 07:35 AM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Do Pusha T and J Cole sound like southen artists they are from VA and NC, J Cole has a little twag though
The Clipse are orginially from New York City and that influence is apparent in their sound.

Quote:
“I remember calling up my cousin, Snapper, who lived in the Bronx and just talking about things like the new record by Big Daddy Kane or Kool G Rap and going over and over the lyrics. I guess those days are definitely instilled in the way that me and my brother rap today.”

Other childhood New York memories for Pusha include shopping for Starter jackets on 125th Street in Harlem and hitting up Rambo’s pizza for a slice. The duo continue to come back to New York City multiple times per year.
Read More: Clipse’s Childhood NYC Visits Influenced Rap Career | Clipse’s Childhood NYC Visits Influenced Rap Career

Just because an artist or individual is influenced by the NYC sound doesn't mean that sound is the prevailing sound in the region they hail from. For example, Charlamagne tha God is from Moncks Corner, South Carolina. Does anybody really think that most black guys in Moncks Corner, SC are like Charlamagne or Sheek Louch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJe3m-X4QyQ

Old 09-05-2014, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Timbaland, who's from HR, can't be mistaken for anything other than southern.
Timbaland sounds a little southern, but his sound absolutely defies any type of regional categorization. He's from the South but not of it. It's the same way Will.i.am is from the West but not of it. He's not a "West Coast artist" simply because he's from Cali. His sound is too versatile to pin down. Same goes for Missy, Pharrell and N.E.R.D.

Timbo and Pharrell are musical geniuses. They can basically do anything from Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake to Ray-J to Gloria Estefan. You can't put them into a "regional box" like you can with Dr. Dre. Even when Dre produces for non-WC artists (50 Cent, Eminem, etc.), the West Coast sound always finds a way of creeping into his production.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:50 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Before we know it, the entire East Coast will be the Northeast. I'm flattered that everybody wants to be us, but sorry, no room.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:50 AM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Most of us are very happy being in the south and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:53 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm flattered that everybody wants to be us, but sorry, no room.
It has nothing to do with what anybody wants a state to be, but what it actually is.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:56 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Clipse are orginially from New York City and that influence is apparent in their sound.

Read More: Clipse’s Childhood NYC Visits Influenced Rap Career | Clipse’s Childhood NYC Visits Influenced Rap Career
Pusha was raised in the Beach, he is a Beach boy. Pusha mom from Norfolk and his dad from Tennessee...they was just born in the Bronx. Early Hip Hop came from NY so of course EVERYBODY was influenced by that. Im from downtown but I used to go up to Philly and record Street Beat/Lady B 85/87 in the summer and bring tapes back as a youngin. That was our NY but yet and still Im from Virginia. The apparent influence you hear is the era of rap they come from. Pusha style is Virginia especially fashion wise. We just have a greater depth to what we relate to and can do which is why you don't really hear NY cats rappin to beats like "Mercy" and "Move that Dope" but WE DO. Virginia always had people who respected the art of lyricism and beat making while NY stuck its head up its azz.

Nottz Raw

DMP (when I was in MD stic tried to tell me DC radio was sayin these cats was from DC but they from round my way...DC wasnt even rappin yet)

Mic Legacy

Vic Spliff my main man...underground Hip Hop since forever. VA cats always SPIT! Pusha know about them PTown cats.

Im sure you know this dude

The original Skateboard. He a 757Beach Boy all day...get his style from around the way and the rest of the world took a bite...including NY...its not no one way street... Yall just keep forgettin we from the East Coast too and NY don't run everything...the sooner NY get that in they head the sooner Bobby Shmurda will learn how to actually SPIT over beats like "Hot Ninja." All good things USED to go into the city... That saying is not necessarily the truth nowadays.
VA came into they own long ago...and it really start to be felt moreso when AI went to Philly...sorry if folks didn't get the memo. Pusha just a product of an era when VA was comin into its own and respects the art.

just like these cats did...

RIP to Mic Lord-Boodah Brotha...regardless of where you think he from...them dudes rep that Newport News s#!t hard...so its all love...no one way street.

Quote:
Timbaland sounds a little southern, but his sound absolutely defies any type of regional categorization. He's from the South but not of it. It's the same way Will.i.am is from the West but not of it. He's not a "West Coast artist" simply because he's from Cali. His sound is too versatile to pin down. Same goes for Missy, Pharrell and N.E.R.D.

Timbo and Pharrell are musical geniuses. They can basically do anything from Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake to Ray-J to Gloria Estefan. You can't put them into a "regional box" like you can with Dr. Dre. Even when Dre produces for non-WC artists (50 Cent, Eminem, etc.), the West Coast sound always finds a way of creeping into his production.
"Hes from the south but not of it" ...he's from VIRGINIA we do what WE do. Alot of this sounds like the 80s/90s when certain folks used to say Michael Jordan, Oprah, Bill Cosby, Eddie Murphy etc. weren't "Black" because thay had some great talent. SMH. All you hear from Tim/Missy/Pharrell is reflective of their surroundings. That IS Virginia. It DEFIES regional categorization. Its the South because the colonial media from Boston/NY said so in theyre print media. Jamestown was not founded as "southern" it was founded for Virginia...CENTER of the Universe for the New World. That's why I laugh at "historical" titles and some folks stereotypes, artistically we defy those. Reality is we do what WE do. We not to be pigeonhold, we are who WE are...not New York or Georgia. Did they say Teddy Riley didn't have a New York sound? No...they just said he had a NEW sound and its "called" New Jack Swing...but they never said it wasn't ONE of New Yorks sounds cause hes too talented and defies regional blah blah blah...they might of said they didn't know what "genre" it belonged to but they stamped it as NY on the strength of him. Same with Timb/Nottz/Neptunes/Bink etc. The mosaic and collage of sounds are VA to me...outside the box. One side of VA.

As far as THIS era this is what the young cats in to...

Yawn....Norfolk second dude from RVA804 though...simple raps...classic HH beat circa90s

Tone, Breeze and them....youngins out Portsmouth...the sonics is there and the flows are mixed.

Breeze Barker.... even over these type beats the youngins still know to put effort in LYRICS and FLOWS...we not no dumb #$#$^=)...this VA though.

Manor Slim....the youngins ain forgot the art to flowin, this VA, 7Cities and all that.

you got to be versatile...we know all about that....

BMORE gets it

Young Moose and Slick OTM/GGL

Slick/Skeeno/Young Moose

Slick and Skeeno

LoDo

All these folks represent an area that does not belong to the ATL region or NY region of music...but uses elements from music in general and calibrates styles to it...unlike NY and ATL who go one way or the other.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 09-05-2014 at 12:17 PM..

Old 09-05-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
The apparent influence you hear is the era of rap they come from.
How are you going to argue with the words that came directly out of the man's mouth?

Quote:
I guess those days are definitely instilled in the way that me and my brother rap today.
Pusha T Presents: A Clipse Guide to New York City | Village Voice

That's pretty unambiguous.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It has nothing to do with what anybody wants a state to be, but what it actually is.
South Atlantic?

https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data.../us_regdiv.pdf

What I don't get is that the Census Bureau created the "Northeast" region. It's essentially their construct. They also devised other regions such as the Coastal Plain, Piedmont, Prairie Region, Great Basin, Coast Lowlands, Great Plains Region, Columbian Mesas, etc. Yet when it comes to the Census, the organization that created the "Northeast" category in the first place, it's somehow dismissed as having very little relevance today. Nobody even bothers to ask why the Census created the regions the way it did.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:55 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,971,621 times
Quote:
South Atlantic?

https://www.census.gov/geo/maps-data.../us_regdiv.pdf

What I don't get is that the Census Bureau created the "Northeast" region. It's essentially their construct. They also devised other regions such as the Coastal Plain, Piedmont, Prairie Region, Great Basin, Coast Lowlands, Great Plains Region, Columbian Mesas, etc. Yet when it comes to the Census, the organization that created the "Northeast" category in the first place, it's somehow dismissed as having very little relevance today. Nobody even bothers to ask why the Census created the regions the way it did.
I personally think that people who vehemently insist that DC or Maryland are northeastern are nuts. MD is the wealthiest state, and DC is the wealthiest metro, yet they are dying to be associated with another group of individuals. Like on episode of Fresh Prince when Carlton went to the hood on a date by Will to prove he was "down." Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.