Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Southernmost northeastern state
New Jersey 29 22.66%
Pennsylvania 14 10.94%
Delaware 7 5.47%
Maryland 49 38.28%
West Virginia 11 8.59%
Virginia 18 14.06%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 12:47 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Makes sense to put Philly, Baltimore and DC in their own region, imo. Boston and NYC belong together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 12:59 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeinScotts View Post
I live here. Marylanders are Yankees. Of course they dont say "Im a Yankee" nobody says that, even when I lived in MA. As a born in raised southerner who has lived in NC, SC, LA and MD, MA, and NY, there isnt anything Southern about MD. Northerners love to say "The eastern shore of MD/DE is southern though!". No, it isn't. At absolute most there are some corner towns of 800 people in southern Maryland that are in between north and south. 95% of MD is northern, about the same as PA or NJ. Like I said, the culture in MD is mostly the same thing as in upstate NY with the biggest difference being no Bay or ocean in upstate NY. Is upstate NY southern? NO. There may be some MDers who listen to country music and really want badly to be southern, but THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM SOUTHERN!

- I cant find my grits anywhere here

- I am the only white guy who loves Fried Chicken and the blacks dont know how to make real southern fried chicken only the northern imitation

- no whites know what a real biscuit is

- when I ask for gravy they have no clue what I am talking about!

- Sweet tea? In the words of many Marylanders, fuhggetabout it!

- Nobody cares about church. Church is a tradition in the south. Put on your sunday dress, go out for lunch. Meet the neighbors and congregation and make a day out of it. MDers dont care about church, tons of them are atheists and agnostic.

- Country ham. Marylanders still dont know what this is.

- Line dancing? Foreign to MD.

- Boiled Peanuts, they have no idea what I am talking about.

- Fried green tomatoes? No idea what I am talking about.

- Ultra liberal. No place exists like this in the south. I am talking about even "conservative" MD towns are liberal by southern standards. Md is easily top 5 most liberal states in the USA.

There are even more Confederate flags in PA than in MD. No one has a southern accent - that video Eddieskool posted sounds in between a New Yorker and a Virginian...and that is the most incredibly extreme accent from a MArylander I have ever heard. Most Marylanders sound exactly like people in Philadelphia. They say "I'm goin to the woooder" and "Natty Bow hon! and OHHHshun for Ocean. Zero MDers have a drawl. How many Jimmy Dean or Earls do you know in MD? Zero, its not southern. MD is just like New Jersey, NY, etc. I dont care how many wannabes there are.

MD is a classic Yankee state!
Where the heck are you in Maryland? That could play into your experience.

Try looking for the country ham in the fall & winter. I lived in South Jersey for decades & that's when it shows up. I worked in Owings Mills for a few years. Same goes for there. Buy the whole ham. Cook it. Freeze it in portions . Problem solved. Grits are in the cereal aisle just like in NC. You can find fried green tomatoes or make your own. Don't tell me that you can't find fried chicken. It's everywhere.

Have you been to South Jersey? Try going to the weekly rodeo in Woodstown. They have the Cowtown rodeo & flea market. You're in the MidAtlantic. If you think that people don't know what gravy is, & that they don't know what country ham is, etc then those people have you bamboozled. Try asking if there's country dancing that isn't square dancing. See what that gets you.

As to church, there's plenty of them there but people tend to consider religion as personal. Y'know, between them & God. There's a concept for you.

The boiled peanuts comment makes me think that you're from SC.

Take a deep breath, calm down, listen to the people talk. It's not that far off from the accent that you hear from natives in & around Charlotte. Apparently you haven't heard them say Eagles or you would have mentioned that.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:09 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,052,961 times
Quote:
I am Carolina born/raised and have lived in MA (6+ yrs), upstate NY (3 yrs), LA (3 yrs) and now MD (19 yrs) in addition to NC/SC.

Nobody in the south considers MD anything but the northeast. Definitely not southern. Nobody I have met in MD considers themselves southern, except for some kooks. And no havent been living in the DC suburbs of Rockville but in Edgewood/Towson. MD is a classic "Yankee" state and there isnt anything southern in its culture. They speak northern, vote northern, act northern, dress northern, so how can it be southern? The same goes for Delaware. I guess Philadelphia is southern too then? I have even heard people from up north say half of NJ is southern. These people obviously have no idea what southern is but can you blame them? Northerners have such a disdain towards the south that they never visit us except for maybe NOVA so maybe that is why some of them think places like Vineland, NJ are southern.
These are such subjective terms. What does "speaking Northern" mean? Did you see the link I posted of the guy from Maryland? He speaks 100% Southern and the accent from Maryland is Southern. Did you see the guy BajanYankee posted? Did you hear Felicia Pearson talk? SOUTHERN. True Maryland accents have little in common with Northeast accents.

Vote Northern? WTF does that mean? Black people in the South tend to vote Democrat whether they are in Mississippi, Texas, or Maryland. Southern cities like Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, and Atlanta all lean Democrat just like Baltimore and DC. The rural areas of Maryland lean Republican just like rural areas of the South. Also, since when do votes cancel out Southern culture? And by the way, there are Southerners who consider Maryland the South. Just because you haven't met them doesn't mean they don't exist.

Also, what is dressing Northern? One of my good friends is from the South and he dresses like me. What do you think Southerners all wear coveralls without undershirts, chew on tobacco, and wear straw hats while saying "yessum" and spitting everywhere they go? You seem very ignorant and don't seem to travel much outside of your little bubble.

If people Maryland these days speak General American it no more makes Maryland northern than it makes a native Manhattan person Midwestern because the NY accent is fading from Manhattan.

I am from the "North" and don't have disdain for the South. I love Maryland. I love the Southern aspect of it. I love how you say "they" have no idea what Southern is while you post dribble about what you *think* Southern is.

Quote:
If you want to see the difference between Yankee and Southron culture and lifestyle drive from any town in MD down to Danville or Blacksburg VA. MD up to Maine could be a whole different country and it more or less is culturally speaking. MD and upstate NY are mostly the same thing in culture, not even close to the Carolinas or Louisiana.
There is not one uniform Southern culture, my friend. As there is no uniform Midwestern culture. People from Chicago are nothing like people from Sioux Falls, SD. We still consider each other Midwestern. Of course there are a few ignorant people in Chicago that will call people from Iowa "Southern-like". I was on a date with a girl and we were up in rural Michigan and she said it reminded her of the South.

Besides, Upstate NY linguistically is closer to the Midwest than it is to the Northeast. People in Rochester are said to speak with "Chicago" accents. So is MD the Midwest now? *facepalm*

What about MD culture is "Northern" as you say?

Old 09-22-2014, 01:19 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Makes sense to put Philly, Baltimore and DC in their own region, imo. Boston and NYC belong together.
because of proximity or other

is Philly more like NYC or Baltimore? not size but other aspects

Old 09-22-2014, 01:22 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
because of proximity or other

is Philly more like NYC or Baltimore? not size but other aspects
Culturally, historically and demographically. Philly is also a little closer to Baltimore. Philly, Baltimore, DC and Richmond would all make up the southern portion of the Mid Atlantic. These places have all been more historically southern-leaning, but have changed after an infusion of transplants from NYC.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I live here. Marylanders are Yankees. Of course they dont say "Im a Yankee" nobody says that, even when I lived in MA. As a born in raised southerner who has lived in NC, SC, LA and MD, MA, and NY, there isnt anything Southern about MD. Northerners love to say "The eastern shore of MD/DE is southern though!". No, it isn't. At absolute most there are some corner towns of 800 people in southern Maryland that are in between north and south. 95% of MD is northern, about the same as PA or NJ. Like I said, the culture in MD is mostly the same thing as in upstate NY with the biggest difference being no Bay or ocean in upstate NY. Is upstate NY southern? NO. There may be some MDers who listen to country music and really want badly to be southern, but THAT DOES NOT MAKE THEM SOUTHERN!
Uh, subjective thoughts don't change geography, pal. If one day Mexicans wanted to be considered part of the US it won't mean Mexico isn't part of the US.

And as far as my comment about you not knowing Southern culture (despite the fact you were born in the South), I stand by it. You seem to love stereotypes.

Quote:
- I cant find my grits anywhere here

- I am the only white guy who loves Fried Chicken and the blacks dont know how to make real southern fried chicken only the northern imitation

- no whites know what a real biscuit is

- when I ask for gravy they have no clue what I am talking about!

- Sweet tea? In the words of many Marylanders, fuhggetabout it!
You really suck at looking for things. I know of many MD people that can access that stuff locally.
Quote:
- Nobody cares about church. Church is a tradition in the south. Put on your sunday dress, go out for lunch. Meet the neighbors and congregation and make a day out of it. MDers dont care about church, tons of them are atheists and agnostic.
MD's history does differ from the Bible belt in that it was predominantly Catholic. That's just a question of theology and not Southern-ness. I guess in your mind a Southerner is a Baptist or some Protestant variation.

Quote:
- Country ham. Marylanders still dont know what this is.

- Line dancing? Foreign to MD.

- Boiled Peanuts, they have no idea what I am talking about.

- Fried green tomatoes? No idea what I am talking about.
Man, here in Chicago there are born and raised people that don't know that hot dogs and ketchup don't go together, that Chicago style pizza exists in 3 variations, that the stuff they call "techno" music really originated here as HOUSE music (not in Europe), that the best Mexican food is not found downtown, that a true Chicago accent doesn't say "brudder" for brother or "youse guise" for "you guys". People's lack of being cultured no more makes a region less what it is than a Polish person being born in the states makes them not have Polish ancestry. Geography isn't changed by people's lack of knowledge of culture. You are comparing things that don't have to do with each other.

I get into arguments with my friends here all the time because they don't know the Chicago culture at all. Does that mean I stop considering them fellow Chicagoans?

Quote:
- Ultra liberal. No place exists like this in the south. I am talking about even "conservative" MD towns are liberal by southern standards. Md is easily top 5 most liberal states in the USA.
Subjective. My other post to you explained why this is irrelevant. MD is home to conservatives, and rural MD counties (or cannys) vote Republican.

Quote:
There are even more Confederate flags in PA than in MD. No one has a southern accent - that video Eddieskool posted sounds in between a New Yorker and a Virginian...and that is the most incredibly extreme accent from a MArylander I have ever heard. Most Marylanders sound exactly like people in Philadelphia.
New Yorker?????

NEW FVCKING YORKER? I hope you don't mean NY city. Did you see the ass bag skit I posted? That's what TRUE New Yorkers sound like. The guy I posted is not even close. And Virginians are Southern so it proves he sounds Southern. Google Felicia Pearson and she speaks Southern, too. The guy I posted sounds like a cross between Uncle Si and Willie Robertson from Duck Dynasty.

Explain to me what is NY about his accent. Please do. If anything he could like MAYBE an Upstate NYer with a Southern tawng.

Philadelphia lies on a transition zone. Historically Philly and Balmer spoke the same, with Balmer being the more Southern of the two. But even Philly people have a bit of the same sound you can find in the South, like "wooder".

Quote:
They say "I'm goin to the woooder" and "Natty Bow hon! and OHHHshun for Ocean. Zero MDers have a drawl.
These two sentences contradict. "Wooder" and "ohhhshun" are Southern. They are basically diluted Scottish/West England pronunciations (like the whole South) unlike New York City English which is more of a diluted Dutch.

Quote:
How many Jimmy Dean or Earls do you know in MD? Zero, its not southern. MD is just like New Jersey, NY, etc. I dont care how many wannabes there are.
I don't know ANY Jimmy Dean or Earls from the South! You seem like you are not Southern but someone who has this idea of Southern as just "country" or rural living, forgetting that Southern metropolis has a mind of its own. Southerners from the big cities don't act like the rural counterparts in the country. In the Midwest, it's the same. Rural folk have their own culture and seem "Southern" to people who don't know what the South is when in reality they are "country". With the way you think, if you went to Greenville, Michigan or Rapid City, South Dakota, you would think you were in the South even though NOBODY from those parts considers themselves Southern. Ever.

Quote:
MD is a classic Southern state!
Fixed it.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:34 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
^ Interesting comments from a guy who posted in MD forum that he doesnt live in MD but is planning a move to Baltimore. Sorry, but the guy who is from the Carolinas and has lived in MA, NY,MD, and Louisiana seems to know what hes talking about. If you think by moving to Bmore you will be.in southern city Eddie you will sorely dissapointed.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Culturally, historically and demographically. Philly is also a little closer to Baltimore. Philly, Baltimore, DC and Richmond would all make up the southern portion of the Mid Atlantic. These places have all been more historically southern-leaning, but have changed after an infusion of transplants from NYC.
Give this man a medal.

Balmer's proximity to Philly doesn't make Balmer Northern. Philly in fact is closer to Balmer than it is to NYC and Boston.

Here is a GREAT explanation of the Philly accent:

The Overlooked Philadelphia Accent | Dialect Blog

Yes, the Philly accent does share pronunciation with Southern accents. I got this from hearing Beanie Sigel talk to Jay-Z, hearing Beanie's lingering Northeastern pronunciation but with some Southern infused in. Jay-Z on the other hand is 100% Northeastern in his way of talking.

The fact that Balmer's accent is more Southern than Philly's leaves Philly to be kind of a halfway, and Balmer to be the full-on Southern accent of the two Mid-Atlantic variations. If someone thinks Philly is 100% Northeastern, from whence comes "wooder"? People in NYC pronounce it "wawtah".

Old 09-22-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
^ Interesting comments from a guy who posted in MD forum that he doesnt live in MD but is planning a move to Baltimore. Sorry, but the guy who is from the Carolinas and has lived in MA, NY,MD, and Louisiana seems to know what hes talking about. If you think by moving to Bmore you will be.in southern city Eddie you will sorely dissapointed.
Except that for a guy from the South he sure seems to have this idea of the South as something he got from TV. I don't hide the fact I am a Northerner. I also posted in this thread that MD people I've met seem more Midwestern than anything else, with barely traceable culture of any specific region, be it Northeast or the South.

We're talking geography, pal. That is the thread title. Of course if people want to go into linguistics, I'll address that, too. The guy knows what he is talking about when he says that a guy with an extreme Maryland accent sounds like a New Yorker. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Oh yeah I'll be moving to a classic Northeastern city. You know, because qualities like blue collar roots, Eastern European people, seafood, Democrat voting, and presence of high income are held by the Northeast in a classic monopoly. No other region has these things.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:43 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,863,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Except that for a guy from the South he sure seems to have this idea of the South as something he got from TV. I don't hide the fact I am a Northerner. I also posted in this thread that MD people I've met seem more Midwestern than anything else, with barely traceable culture of any specific region, be it Northeast or the South.

We're talking geography, pal. That is the thread title. Of course if people want to go into linguistic, I'll address that, too.
Just saying the guy who is from the south and has lived 20+ yrs in MD and the northeast has a better idea of what he is talking about.

Youve never even lived in MD and in the Baltimore forum you ask all kinds of noob questions about MD that anyone knows something about MD would know. Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.