Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:23 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Hipsterism aside, most people eat at fast food restaurants. A lot of people just lie about it because this country's culture believes in shaming people into desired behavior.

Nonetheless, in the South, you have more it seems. Zaxby's, Chick Fil-A, Raising Cane's, Hardee's, Fatz, Dairy Queen, Firehouse Subs

In the North you have Tim Horton's and Boston Market.

In the west, you have In and Out Burger, Tastee Freez, Whattaburger.

I'm not saying that you can't have a few of each in other areas, just where the concentration lies.
In the north you forgot a very big one, Dunkin Donuts and in the West you forgot Carl's Jr., Jack in the Box, and several Taco chains.

Anyway, up north there are so many locally run pizza and sub shop and even hole in the wall seafood shacks in many towns and cities that everyday people patronize (not just hipsters) served quickly at a reasonable price that it just isn't necessary to go to some crappy chain like Subway, Papa Johns, Long John Silvers, or Firehouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 06:26 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
In the north you forgot a very big one, Dunkin Donuts. But there are so many locally run pizza and sub shop and even hole in the wall seafood shacks in most towns and cities up north that everyday people patronize (not just hipsters) that it just isn't necessary to go to some crappy chain like Subway, Papa Johns, Long John Silvers, or Firehouse.
I don't think I've ever... EVER had pizza at Papa Johns while living in CT. Chain Pizza there is a mortal sin... pizza at any chain is a sin.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:28 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
I love a good NY style pizza, but sometimes do get a craving for that yummy Detroit style pizza hut!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:34 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
I love a good NY style pizza, but sometimes do get a craving for that yummy Detroit style pizza hut!
I miss my real steak and cheese or chicken parm subs from local joints back in New England. All we have in NM are the crappy sub chains, I can't stand Subway and Firehouse. Lame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I don't think I've ever... EVER had pizza at Papa Johns while living in CT. Chain Pizza there is a mortal sin... pizza at any chain is a sin.
Seriously, why would one even bother? I don't know how a pizza chain would stay in business up there!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:51 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Ahh, yes. "shill". Hipster term for someone that says one good thing about something that is hipster to hate. I think Walmart is convenient. UH OH! SHILL FOR WALMART.

I think we're done here.

God forbid that someone should express a like for thing that doesn't meet the approval of the leftist PC / hipster / granola consuming PC police. Much less a political or religion opinion ...

That said, you've got to ask yourself how honest some of these people dissing on chain restaurants really are. Sure, I typically choose local places over chains AT HOME, in my own city. But when I travel, it's often just not very practical. For one thing, the highways and interstates are dominated by chains, and finding good local places when you're on the road just isn't easy to do.

Also, many people in this thread are ignoring the fact that even a place like McDonald's has some good items on the menus. Think the burgers are crap? Fine. But you'd be hard pressed to find a higher quality salad or wrap for the price, anywhere. Ditto for every chain restaurant out there. They all have their good points, along with the bad.

To just blanketly say "All chains are crap" is highly disingenuous.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:21 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

God forbid that someone should express a like for thing that doesn't meet the approval of the leftist PC / hipster / granola consuming PC police. Much less a political or religion opinion ...

That said, you've got to ask yourself how honest some of these people dissing on chain restaurants really are. Sure, I typically choose local places over chains AT HOME, in my own city. But when I travel, it's often just not very practical. For one thing, the highways and interstates are dominated by chains, and finding good local places when you're on the road just isn't easy to do.

Also, many people in this thread are ignoring the fact that even a place like McDonald's has some good items on the menus. Think the burgers are crap? Fine. But you'd be hard pressed to find a higher quality salad or wrap for the price, anywhere. Ditto for every chain restaurant out there. They all have their good points, along with the bad.

Amen and amen.

I travel a lot. When I'm home in East Texas, I know the local dives and locally owned businesses, and they are my personal choice when eating out. However, when I'm on the road, even with the help of "Urban Spoon" or "Trip Advisor" I still have had inferior dining experiences in locally owned establishments, even though I would, in theory, prefer to support those. So...now when I'm traveling, I'm defaulting to the Cracker Barrel or Applebees or Macaroni Grill. So hate me, I guess. I'm devastated.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Hmm. I usually try to search for independent places while traveling. Even though there's a risk of getting something subpar it makes traveling more interesting.

I noticed on this thread people are mentioning fast food places together with chain restaurants. Don't have as strong of an opinion of fast food places, but when I eat out at a sit down restaurant I'd rather some a bit more interesting than a chain.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:27 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
Quote:
In the north you forgot a very big one, Dunkin Donuts and in the West you forgot Carl's Jr., Jack in the Box, and several Taco chains.
I thought Dunkin was all over. And Carls Jr is just Hardees in other places (same company).

Quote:
I miss my real steak and cheese or chicken parm subs from local joints back in New England. All we have in NM are the crappy sub chains, I can't stand Subway and Firehouse. Lame!
Luckily I still have those around here that can make a good quality sub. Ten minutes from my house is Phillys, who makes a cheesesteak that rivals Pats's (can't touch Geno's, of course). I like them, but I also want variety. If I'm going to have a sub once week for example, I'm not going to eat at the same place every time other wise I'm going to start hating it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post

Love this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Amen and amen.

I travel a lot. When I'm home in East Texas, I know the local dives and locally owned businesses, and they are my personal choice when eating out. However, when I'm on the road, even with the help of "Urban Spoon" or "Trip Advisor" I still have had inferior dining experiences in locally owned establishments, even though I would, in theory, prefer to support those. So...now when I'm traveling, I'm defaulting to the Cracker Barrel or Applebees or Macaroni Grill. So hate me, I guess. I'm devastated.
Definitely. When travelling, it's always a safe bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. I usually try to search for independent places while traveling. Even though there's a risk of getting something subpar it makes traveling more interesting.

I noticed on this thread people are mentioning fast food places together with chain restaurants. Don't have as strong of an opinion of fast food places, but when I eat out at a sit down restaurant I'd rather some a bit more interesting than a chain.
Good point. I alway try and research prior to traveling and those destination spots, I've found to be pretty reliable based on internet reviews. Problem is, sometimes you don't know where you're going to stop on the way.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:51 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
There's a reason why resort areas like Orlando are overwhelmed by national chains: People (particularly families) like the familiar. You know what to expect and you know what you're getting.

I remember many years ago staying at a hotel near Disney World and asking our concierge for recommendations on good local restaurants. Her suggestions: Olive Garden or Outback. Turns out, both are based in the area so it wasn't like she didn't tell the truth.

That same trip, we ended up one day at the Shoney's Big Boy on I-Drive, smack in the heart of Orlando's tourist kitsch and within a stone's throw of the Magic Kingdom's resort properties. The restaurant was full of European and Asian tourist families (I think we were the only English-speaking customers in the whole place.) POINT: Local is all relative. What you consider average or sub-par might be a uniquely American experience to somebody else.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:54 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Chain restaurants are garbage no matter where they are.

Oh come on! Chilli's is good. Edible. Decent.

I see no difference between chains in the North or the South.

Isn't that the point?

Other Chains can be fine. Not fantastic but if you are traveling? It beats fast food with a big stick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.