Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 07:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Cool map that shows where America's pizza CHAINS are. Wow, for all the posturing here about no one ever eating anything but Mom and Pop pizza in the northeast...well, SOMEONE'S eating chain restaurant pizza up there.

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/assets/4565573/pizza_map.png

And oops, oops - LOOK AT ALL THOSE MCDONALD'S in the NE! I guess zombies are eating there, because certainly no one else is, right?
http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/45655...onalds_map.jpg

OMG, look at the plethora of chain restaurants on this map - but nyahhhh, nyahhhhhh, it can't be right, because it shows all sorts of chain restaurants all over the US...but everyone knows that southerners are the only ones awash with chain restaurants. Everyone else is eating organic food that's locally grown and served by Mom and Pop in their uber eco friendly little restaurant where every entree is under 500 calories.
http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/assets/45697...withKey-01.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 07:57 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,709,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Cool map that shows where America's pizza CHAINS are. Wow, for all the posturing here about no one ever eating anything but Mom and Pop pizza in the northeast...well, SOMEONE'S eating chain restaurant pizza up there.
Compared to population density it is very little though. For example, there are 8 sbarro pizza chains in NYC (1 for every 1 million people)... 4 are near Times square for the tourists, 1 inside JFK airport, and 3 on the outskirts. Similar with other chains... tiny Charleston has the same number of pizza huts as NYC. If we had the same chain/per capita ratio, NYC should have like 80-100 pizza huts inside city limits alone.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:59 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

http://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/assets/4565573/pizza_map.png
As Gantz, said, the chain pizzerias in the NYC are a small fraction of the pizzerias there. Paris has more Pizza Huts than NYC [for the same population]!

Old 08-29-2014, 08:03 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,930 times
You get that chains can thrive just about anywhere right? Where there are people who can't afford $20 pizzas there are chains.

I happen to have grown up with plenty of money and therefore can say I've eaten significantly less chain pizza than someone who gets $5-$10 pizza. There is no reason other than money to choose chain over local. Local is almost always better and you'd be a fool to eat chain crap.

The North East simply has better pizza and is super proud of that!

Old 08-29-2014, 08:08 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Chain restaurants are crappy no matter where you are. However, the effect is MUCH worse in the South, as they are far more prevalent all over the place. Look at Charlotte. Look at Atlanta. The worst I've seen is DFW, which has iHOps all over the damn place. Phoenix is bad too. Basically every sunbelt city suffers from this problem.
I recently relocated to DFW and yes it's pretty bad here. When I've asked people here in person to direct me as a new transplant to some good, local, non-chain restaurants you'd think I'd asked them for instructions on how to perform brain surgery the way they look at me lol.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:11 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,218,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
You get that chains can thrive just about anywhere right? Where there are people who can't afford $20 pizzas there are chains.

I happen to have grown up with plenty of money and therefore can say I've eaten significantly less chain pizza than someone who gets $5-$10 pizza. There is no reason other than money to choose chain over local. Local is almost always better and you'd be a fool to eat chain crap.

Chicago native here. We also have great pizza in Chicago. I think I ate at Pizza Hut twice my entire time living there. No need to eat at PH, Dominoes, Little Ceasar's or Papa' John's when you have such great and so many local pizzerias there.

For the most part, we always ate local pizzas.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
As Gantz, said, the chain pizzerias in the NYC are a small fraction of the pizzerias there. Paris has more Pizza Huts than NYC [for the same population]!
Yeah, and you can ask around people who grew up in NYC, and chances are some of the people never even visited those chains their entire lives.
For example, I am a grown ass man and I have never been to a Walmart or Sbarro in my entire life. And the first time I tried Pizza Hut I was in Chicago...

Old 08-29-2014, 08:12 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,317,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post

There are a couple of pizza places around me that I'd rather eat Pizza Hut or Jets than.

There are a couple of places I'd rather get a Big Mac and fries than as well.

Last time I checked, taste isn't influenced by who owns the restaurant.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:16 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Yeah, and you can ask around people who grew up in NYC, and chances are some of the people never even visited those chains their entire lives.
For example, I am a grown ass man and I have never been to a Walmart or Sbarro in my entire life. And the first time I tried Pizza Hut I was in Chicago...
Well there's no Walmart in NYC, and when I was living in the region not many in the suburbs either. I've had some chain pizza, but most of the time I'd rather local. If I was back there, I'm not sure if I'd ever eat chain pizza.

Quote:
I think of pizza prices more of by the slice rather than a whole pie. Unless you're ordering for a big group to deliver at home or something.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well there's no Walmart in NYC, and when I was living in the region not many in the suburbs either. I've had some chain pizza, but most of the time I'd rather local. If I was back there, I'm not sure if I'd ever eat chain pizza.
The closest I ever got to a Walmart, was a Walmart parking lot in New Milford, Connecticut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.