Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 08:20 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,528,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
There are a couple of pizza places around me that I'd rather eat Pizza Hut
Good lord, do they make it with American cheese slices, ketchup and crackers? I can't believe a local spot worse than Pizza Hut could possibly survive.

You people realize that chains are popular for many reasons, none of which are that "they are good," right? Cheap, fast, convenient, tons of marketing/positioning $$$, children's toys/playlands, pumped full of corn syrup/salt/grease for max addictiveness, many people are more concerned with NOT getting a single disappointing meal than eating consistently mediocre ones, etc etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Good lord, do they make it with American cheese slices, ketchup and crackers? I can't believe a local spot worse than Pizza Hut could possibly survive.

You people realize that chains are popular for many reasons, none of which are that "they are good," right? Cheap, fast, convenient, tons of marketing/positioning $$$, children's toys/playlands, pumped full of corn syrup/salt/grease for max addictiveness, many people are more concerned with NOT getting a single disappointing meal than eating consistently mediocre ones, etc etc etc.
I like the local places, sure, depending on the sauce and how it's cooked.

But I also think Pizza Hut is delicious. I slurp up Sbarro pasta and meatballs. I scarf down a Big Mac. It tastes good. There a problem?

Old 08-29-2014, 08:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
The closest I ever got to a Walmart, was a Walmart parking lot in New Milford, Connecticut.
I don't go that frequently, but for certain practical stuff (simple home items) around here it's really either Target or Walmart or maybe another big box chain.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post

Yeah... and when it's 1 in the morning and everyone's too drunk to look for some place local which will almost certainly be closed anyway.

Yep, I can say I've been in that position. Order crappy Dominos or Pizza Hut. It's not like we are sober enough to tell that it doesn't taste like crap :-)

Old 08-29-2014, 08:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
But I also think Pizza Hut is delicious. I slurp up Sbarro pasta and meatballs. I scarf down a Big Mac. It tastes good. There a problem?
The last time I had one of those pizzas from the combination "Pizza Hut / Taco Bell" type places it was terrible. Fast food works sometimes, I like going to Wendy's and Chiptole's frequently and I'm not going to criticize an occasional McDonald's or Domino's* customer, what I dislike is what it's the main part of the food scene rather than just one of many.

*unless you're on Long Island

Old 08-29-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
There are a couple of pizza places around me that I'd rather eat Pizza Hut or Jets than.

There are a couple of places I'd rather get a Big Mac and fries than as well.

Last time I checked, taste isn't influenced by who owns the restaurant.
That's really a shame and I don't know how those local joints would last. I've never had local pizza in South Carolina so I'm not sure how good it is to be honest. If a local joint can't make pizza taste better than all of the chains... then they need to try something different lol

Old 08-29-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Yeah... and when it's 1 in the morning and everyone's too drunk to look for some place local which will almost certainly be closed anyway.
Really? One of the local pizza places in my area back home stayed open till around 3 am. I remember wandering around in a residential neighborhood in Brooklyn one weekend night, and finding a pizza place open after Midnight.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:34 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
That's really a shame and I don't know how those local joints would last. I've never had local pizza in South Carolina so I'm not sure how good it is to be honest. If a local joint can't make pizza taste better than all of the chains... then they need to try something different lol
No, I don't mean to say that there aren't absolutely delicious pizza places here. We have a few that were featured in Esquire. There are delicious ones, don't get me wrong. But Pizza Hut is also delicious, to me. I can have room on my palette for all of the above.

We have great burger places, too. Poe's, Sesame, Charleston Burger Company, Triangle. Yet still, sometimes I just want a delicious Big Mac.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Really? One of the local pizza places in my area back home stayed open till around 3 am. I remember wandering around in a residential neighborhood in Brooklyn one weekend night, and finding a pizza place open after Midnight.
Ah, yeah... I grew up in Naugatuck Valley in CT. Very suburban and very quiet. Many things would close at 21:00 or 22:00

Old 08-29-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Ah, yeah... I grew up in Naugatuck Valley in CT. Very suburban and very quiet. Many things would close at 21:00 or 22:00
Yea, stuff seems to close earlier up here and in New England in general (except maybe the big city areas) compared to down on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.