Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2021, 01:22 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I prefer Moe's over Chipotle.

I used to really like Qdoba, but they shut most of them down.
Really? The Qdoba near me is still going. I'll take them over Chipotle any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 01:27 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
With the exception of maybe New Orleans & Nashville, the South doesn't have very many "foodie cities." I believe there are more chain restaurants in the South b/c the demand is there more so. Most people in places like New York City, Boston etc are not eating @ chains ... largely b/c there are so so so many good local, awesome spots to eat. New York City probably has some of the best restaurants in the world.

Other reasons, Northerners tend to be fitter overall & incomes are generally higher in the North so we can afford to eat @ more higher end places. Just my observations.

With so many good Italian places for example, why would any New Yorker eat @ somewhere like Olive Garden? It just doesn't make sense.

Something like Chipotle or Moe's probably does a little better than Italian or Asian chains, just b/c NYC especially isn't really known for Mexican food & instead more so, Italian & Asian.

Old 07-22-2021, 01:35 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
With the exception of maybe New Orleans & Nashville, the South doesn't have very many "foodie cities." I believe there are more chain restaurants in the South b/c the demand is there more so. Most people in places like New York City, Boston etc are not eating @ chains ... largely b/c there are so so so many good local, awesome spots to eat. New York City probably has some of the best restaurants in the world.

Other reasons, Northerners tend to be fitter overall & incomes are generally higher in the North so we can afford to eat @ more higher end places. Just my observations.

With so many good Italian places for example, why would any New Yorker eat @ somewhere like Olive Garden? It just doesn't make sense.

Something like Chipotle or Moe's probably does a little better than Italian or Asian chains, just b/c NYC especially isn't really known for Mexican food & instead more so, Italian & Asian.
And you know this how?

Old 07-22-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
And you know this how?
Experience. I travel. I have a blog. By my experience, I haven't found too many "foodie cities" other than New Orleans and Nashville but if you know any, feel free to recommend. I have covered a large part of Southern cities - granted traveling there doesn't equate to living there but I was unimpressed with the food.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Experience. I travel. I have a blog. By my experience, I haven't found too many "foodie cities" other than New Orleans and Nashville but if you know any, feel free to recommend. I have covered a large part of Southern cities - granted traveling there doesn't equate to living there but I was unimpressed with the food.
I suspect you haven't traveled much in the South - at all. If so, you would know better. You've already stated that you don't like the South, so I'm sure you go in with preconceived notions and an anti-Southern bias right off the bat. And by the way, with all of the incredible Italian food, I wonder who is supporting the Olive Gardens in Brooklyn (2 locations), The Bronx and Valley Stream?

Old 07-22-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
I suspect you haven't traveled much in the South - at all. If so, you would know better. You've already stated that you don't like the South, so I'm sure you go in with preconceived notions and an anti-Southern bias right off the bat. And by the way, with all of the incredible Italian food, I wonder who is supporting the Olive Gardens in Brooklyn (2 locations), The Bronx and Valley Stream?
The one in Valley Stream is not a good area. It's somewhat of a poorer area, so I suspect it is lower income people that can't afford to go to more nicer restaurants. IDK about the Brooklyn & Bronx ones but I suspect a similar type thing.

I only didn't like the South until I visited it. After I visited it, I realized I didn't like it that much. NOLA & Nashville were awesome. Could do without both Carolinas & GA, but that's just me. Haven't been to AL or MS yet. I'm entitled to my opinion, am I not? The areas I saw were too conservative for me and too religious. That's not really my scene. The food was ehh and overall I wasn't wowed. Aestethically they were pretty. Again, just not my thing. I am sure some love it and hey, that's great. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
The one in Valley Stream is not a good area. It's somewhat of a poorer area, so I suspect it is lower income people that can't afford to go to more nicer restaurants. IDK about the Brooklyn & Bronx ones but I suspect a similar type thing.

I only didn't like the South until I visited it. After I visited it, I realized I didn't like it that much. NOLA & Nashville were awesome. Could do without both Carolinas & GA, but that's just me. Haven't been to AL or MS yet. I'm entitled to my opinion, am I not? The areas I saw were too conservative for me and too religious. That's not really my scene. The food was ehh and overall I wasn't wowed.
Of course you're entitled to you own opinion. In my opinion, you aren't qualified to make such sweeping generalizations - especially writing off the Carolinas and Georgia, an area with more than 25 million people. Atlanta and Charleston are 2 of the best restaurant cities out there, much more so than Nashville. One of the best restaurants in the Country is in Birmingham, a place I'm sure you wouldn't step foot in. There are jewels all over the South, but you'll never know due to your bias.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Of course you're entitled to you own opinion. In my opinion, you aren't qualified to make such sweeping generalizations - especially writing off the Carolinas and Georgia, an area with more than 25 million people. Atlanta and Charleston are 2 of the best restaurant cities out there, much more so than Nashville. One of the best restaurants in the Country is in Birmingham, a place I'm sure you wouldn't step foot in. There are jewels all over the South, but you'll never know due to your bias.
But thats your opinion. NYC has world-renowned restaurants & known across the world as a “food city”. Im sure B-ham has fine places to eat, but you can’t compare it to NYC when it comes to food. Thats just facts. Another food city is Portland, OR. Some places are “foodier” than others & hey, it’s fine. Every state has something to offer that is appealing to someone.

Carolina & GA are fine. I’m just super liberal & non-religious so I didnt care so much for the vibe. Maybe it’s changed, I was there 5 years ago … there were a lot of religious things & places didnt open on Sundays until after church & there were a lot of Trump flags & confederate stuff. I just wasnt feeling it. If you like it, I’m glad. Thats the beauty of America in that there is some place for everyone & if you dont like a particular place, there are others to choose from

Old 07-22-2021, 02:45 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
You guys might find this interesting: Mapping the density of Chain Restaurants in the US by County

Old 07-22-2021, 02:52 PM

Who in the world compared anything in Birmingham with anything in NYC? I never mentioned New York. And you live on Long Island, that is hardly Manhattan. At any rate, look up the Highland Grill in Birmingham. They've won numerous awards..

I live in Georgia, am also quite liberal and I never see Trump or confederate flags. The last time I saw a Confederate flag was in NH. I'm also not religious, but religion doesn't affect dining out on Sundays either around here. Sounds like you were touring around in some real hick areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.