Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,909,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
Are you freakin' serious?

Northerners YELL. Bold type means we are SHOUTING AT YOU or EMPHASIZING a point. Understand?

Also, much of the south's growth, can be attributed to the fact that they marry younger, and have larger families. Or they don't marry and have a bunch of kids anyway.

Then repent and repeat.

Perhaps you have difficulty in reading comprehension. Why don't you go back and read the post again, and this time put your thinking cap on and try to understand what I said. If you are unable to do so, I will gladly explain it to you if you ask nicely. Geeeezzz.

Just to give you a slight hint, the bold type was done by me for emphasis. Now maybe you can figure it out. OK, I'll help you, the statement the he was the one with the education and work ethnic was a stupid statement.

Last edited by Scotty011; 08-29-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 08-29-2014, 06:13 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,909,881 times
Quote:
Are you freakin' serious?

Northerners YELL. Bold type means we are SHOUTING AT YOU or EMPHASIZING a point. Understand?

Also, much of the south's growth, can be attributed to the fact that they marry younger, and have larger families. Or they don't marry and have a bunch of kids anyway.

Then repent and repeat.

Your ignorance is astounding. I would bet that you are a scholar up north. Notice I have the type in bold again above, and this time it is to show the ignorance of your statement.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:44 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Im sure the south is glad Im gone, too. Heaven forbid someone showed up with an education and strong work ethic. I would'nt want to make "y'all" feel uneasy now, "y'hear"?
Oh, the irony...

Youse guys crack me up.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:55 PM

86 posts, read 94,687 times
It is not the South that is rising but Florida and Texas. Florida holds Orlando, Jacksonville, Tampa and Miami and Texas hold Dallas, Houston, Orlando, San Antonio, Austin and Corpus Christi. There is actually job-creation in Florida and Texas but most of the South is still poor even though there are a few cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Raleigh, Virginia Beach with growing high-tech industries that see some population and economical growth. Small historical coastal cities like Savannah and Charleston is turning into playground for the upper middle class and the tourist industry.

What we can see is that North Eastern cities like Philadelphia, Washington DC (never mind the unproductive government jobs that drives up GDP), Boston, New York and Baltimore does not see an exponential growth anymore. The Midwest is just a mess with the most important metros, which are Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Cleveland, St. Louis, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Columbus, Cincinnati, Milwaukee and Indianapolis. The Midwestern medium sized metros like Omaha, Madison, Des Moines and Wichita is nothing to sing home about. Yes, some of them show economical growth through a rising population but not per-capita growth. The reason why the Midwest is a mess is because the industrial base has moved abroad and US does not manufacture anything anymore. North Eastern United States still runs on the financial service industry, tourism, foreign investments and government jobs. When we look at Upstate New York we noticed that once middle class Albany, Buffalo and Rochester has seen slowing economical increment when they cannot provide technical skills to the Midwestern industrial base.

Northern states is run on debt-driven economies that is heavily built around financial industries and when they died (never mind the bubble-recovery set by the Federal Reserve) in the 2007-crisis – those states who actually create real wealth through honest entrepreneurship and not investment banking and gambling have recovered pretty well from the crisis at least when we look at employment numbers. Low unemployment (2-4 percent) is only found in North Dakota, Nebraska, Utah, South Dakota and Vermont. The rest of USA have medium to high unemployment with Arizona, Alabama, Tennessee, District of Columbia, California, Kentucky, Rhode Island, Nevada, Michigan, Georgia and Mississippi being worst of with 7-8 percent unemployment. Five of the worst eleven states are Southern states which gives us an hint that it is not the Southern Economy that is booming but the Texan and Floridian economy and what I know only a few major cities.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:06 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
Seven southern states (if you count Maryland, which I don't, but apparently plenty of other people do!) have unemployment rates below the national average. Six have unemployment rates above the national average.

If you look at unemployment figures alone, the different regions of the US are all over the place.

Unemployment Rates for States

Old 08-29-2014, 08:09 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,004,302 times
I'm guessing the food and culture has a lot to do with it. And the tea. Yeah, the tea.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-29-2014, 09:17 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,736,746 times
Quote:
Since Millennials as a group are tending to chose city living over Mc Mansion packed suburbs, and the South was where the boomers went 25 years ago to buy a big new house - one that they could not afford in their home states, I think that will slow down.

There is also more of a cultural and political divide than ever before.

My kids and their peers (college bound, college students or graduates who will or are already earning six figures, have zero interest in the suburbs, especially those in the South.
Well then it's a good thing that the south offers more than just the suburbs.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:21 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,565,039 times
Quote:
Since Millennials as a group are tending to chose city living over Mc Mansion packed suburbs, and the South was where the boomers went 25 years ago to buy a big new house - one that they could not afford in their home states, I think that will slow down.

There is also more of a cultural and political divide than ever before.

My kids and their peers (college bound, college students or graduates who will or are already earning six figures, have zero interest in the suburbs, especially those in the South.
A divide that you are doing your part to help expand even further with your broad stereotypes and short-sighted generalizations. Keep up the good work.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:50 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,642,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
A divide that you are doing your part to help expand even further with your broad stereotypes and short-sighted generalizations. Keep up the good work.

Really? He is doing that? In a post about the South "rising up again"?

What's it going to do when it "rises up"?

Ignoring the cultural divide does not make it go away.

One of my already conservative and ultra religious sisters went to a Christian college in the south. Met a man married and never returned. She has a phony accent and political and social beliefs that frighten me.
She thinks Gays should be executed, for example. She also hates the state that she was born in and calls it a "demonic strong hold".

I can't even have a normal conversation with her or any of their friends.

There is something about that is just different from the rest of the country. I don't think that it's for everyone.

I have also noticed a decline in migration to the South, and many people who have returned, disillusioned

I am secure in my region and home state. I don't need it to "rise up".

Old 08-29-2014, 09:57 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,711,403 times
This thread went sour rather quickly. Time to close it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.