Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 02:12 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,085,590 times

Advertisements

Do people who get up and move on the basis of affordability really do wonders for the economy of the cities they're moving into?

It seems to me that once they settle into their new and cheaper digs, they're still going to find other reasons to be tight with their dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 PM

26,994 posts, read 43,578,504 times
Depends upon the reason for seeking affordability. Some are frugal because that's their personality, others become that way through necessity. I would say the latter is much more common in terms of those who choose to move, and would in fact probably do their own fair share of supporting the local economy.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,888,296 times
I think it only really helps if the person first has a nice amount of cash saved up, THEN purchases a home and locks in a low monthly mortgage payment. So, for instance, me, I have saved up a significant amount of cash here in CT, because the jobs pay high. But then, I can move to a cheaper place and instantly purchase a home for cheap. So it wouldn't matter if I got paid a lot or not.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:45 PM

613 posts, read 1,052,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Do people who get up and move on the basis of affordability really do wonders for the economy of the cities they're moving into?

It seems to me that once they settle into their new and cheaper digs, they're still going to find other reasons to be tight with their dollars.
I grew up in Boston. I was a cop so I considered myself middle class about 60k a year. I could not afford a home which is what I wanted and most of my income went towards rent. I had the option to live at my parents house but I was 27 and single thats a red flag to most women plus I wanted to be on my own. So I moved to Dallas took a 20k paycut. I bought my own house which was cheaper than renting in Boston month to month. Its not about being cheap but how you spend your money. In Boston I was making someone else money paying rent in Dallas my money is going to me in the future when I sell. So I feel like I'm working towards something rather than running in place. I'm 32 now and could not be happier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.