U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:32 AM

357 posts, read 1,348,496 times

Advertisements

Are there still any parts of the USA where some anglo-saxons still hate or distrust people of irish, polish, portugeuse, italian, or Greek descent? or are these ethnicities considered truly "white" everywhere nowadays? i knowthat in Australia, some anglo-saxons consider greeks "black" (!!!!), but then again, Australia doesnt have much of a melting-pot history, nor do they have many actual afro-caribbean people

secondly, were french cajuns in lousiana persecuted at all during 2003 when france angered mainstream america by refusing to support the iraq war?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2007, 06:57 AM

4,180 posts, read 13,693,070 times
i think there is still anti-semitism out there in america. i also think poor whites are made fun of in many places.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:03 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,423,166 times
Ethnocentrism, not racism, would be the accurate term to use.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:34 AM

5,716 posts, read 15,389,491 times
People with southern accents seem to take more than their share of crap.

Old 12-25-2007, 11:44 AM

4,150 posts, read 9,927,200 times
Default Divisions

It is well-known that there are disagreements between light-skinned blacks and their darker bretheren. But, in Chicago, the north side Irish don't get along with the south side Irish!

And, of course, the Irish and the Italians still seem to have major differnces.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:43 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,423,166 times
Because both ethnic groups are Catholic they have intermarried a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post

And, of course, the Irish and the Italians still seem to have major differnces.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by internat View Post
Because both ethnic groups are Catholic they have intermarried a lot.
One of my high school instructors said that when his parents spoke Gaelic at home, he knew there was some scandal, like someone marrying an Italian. My hometown had almost a dozen Catholic grade schools but there was a Polish one, an Italian one, a Slovakian one and two Irish ones. The rest were mixed. So, even if they were all Catholic, there were still differences.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:48 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,818,939 times
I don't think there is really any active "white on white" racism left. I don't think there's anyone who is getting turned down for a loan because they have an Italian name, or anyone who is passed over for a promotion because they're Polish. With that said though, I think a lot of people especially in the Northeast and parts of the upper Midwest are very fixated on ethnicity. It seems like the question "what are you?" comes out of people's mouths more often than elsewhere and people include ethnicity when referencing someone fairly frequently (i.e. "I know this guy who works down at the furniture store who can get you a good deal; name's Stan, Russian guy...."). I don't think any harm is meant by it, but people do tend to wear their ethnicity on their sleeves more in places like New York, Boston, Philadelphia and Chicago.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:50 PM

8,501 posts, read 19,768,796 times
secondly, were french cajuns in lousiana persecuted at all during 2003 when france angered mainstream america by refusing to support the iraq war?

Why on earth would something like that happen?

Old 12-26-2007, 02:41 PM

Default It still happens.

Dullnboring, you may be right about areas of the country where ethnicity is still a big deal. I can remember when some tradesmen in my house belittled some other immigrants as "DP"s. I thought it meant displaced persons but they were calling them dumb Polish folks. It surprised me.

Yes, it is still involved in employment decisions, believe me. I think there is active bias by some white ethnic groups against other ones, whether or not they intermarry. Remember all those "Polish jokes"? That was only 20 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.