Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:30 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,901,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
For the second time I said

I never said there weren't any Baptist churches around. Philly has loads of them as well. Unlike most southern locales though, you will always come across a large Catholic church in every neighborhood here. I noticed the same in New Orleans. Never saw that in Atlanta, Charlotte or Raleigh (where my first cousin lives). Other places like Atlanta have a much higher population of Baptists than New Orleans.

Instead of Baptist it might be more accurate to use the term "evangelical". 36% of Fulton County religious adherents are in evangelical denominations. Orleans Parish has 19%. 41% of Harris County, TX is evangelical. 39% Mecklenberg County is evangelical. The list goes on. Louisiana is different, at least the French part. I'm entitled to my opinion. Considering I've been going to the South for years for work, I should know the difference of how it feels to me.

I'm curious why you are so convinced that New Orleans Catholics are different than Catholics everywhere else. Different how? I was born and raised Catholic. Were you raised Catholic?
The Gulf Coast Catholic culture of prominent in Louisiana actually extends westward to Houston and Harris County. Houston and Harris County are also part of the same German Texan belt that is prominent in Central Texas. And don't forget about the significant hispanic influence Houston(and many other Texas cities), have in comparison to much of the rest of the South, seen even through the depths of history. So yes, Louisiana can be considered distinct from much of the South, due to Catholic presence caused by the French influence. But Houston, Harris County, and Texas as a whole also have a significant Catholic presence, and are quite different from much of the South too, due to the heavy hispanic influence not seen in much of the South outside of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 01:45 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Most of Harris county is still evangelical but it's declining because of what the above poster just said. I wouldn't doubt if it's below 30% in 15 years.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:01 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,096,512 times
It is not really "looked down upon," instead, people are incredulous and wonder... "How can a pony walk around without any legs," or something similar. I find that they really don't understand and are befuddled that one of their friends, someone they like(d), can be soooo wrong - and doomed to hell.

Then along with the pity comes the well meaning and incessant attempts to "fix you" by explaining where their faith comes from and how your lack of faith is just a passing thing and that it will be corrected sooner or later. As a true friend you sit though it -- sometimes for up to an hour at a time, wondering how long until the friendship ends. You try to maintain what the relationship was and you do it because you know that your friend means well and are trying to look out for you. It's kinda like having friends who are racists -- but don't really know they are.

In the end, they are less of a friend, not because you have changed anything about yourself. But because they no longer know how to deal with you AS a friend. Instead they see you as that broken pony.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:07 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,023,765 times
For the most part yes, especially in the Bible Belt.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:18 PM

7,704 posts, read 12,543,156 times
Just be kind and respectful and you'll fit in fine anywhere. And don't listen to atheist that try to discourage you otherwise. They usually are the ones with combative personalities that never had friends or got along anywhere because of their attitudes.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:29 PM

15,952 posts, read 20,911,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
It is not really "looked down upon," instead, people are incredulous and wonder... "How can a pony walk around without any legs," or something similar. I find that they really don't understand and are befuddled that one of their friends, someone they like(d), can be soooo wrong - and doomed to hell.

Then along with the pity comes the well meaning and incessant attempts to "fix you" by explaining where their faith comes from and how your lack of faith is just a passing thing and that it will be corrected sooner or later. As a true friend you sit though it -- sometimes for up to an hour at a time, wondering how long until the friendship ends. You try to maintain what the relationship was and you do it because you know that your friend means well and are trying to look out for you. It's kinda like having friends who are racists -- but don't really know they are.

In the end, they are less of a friend, not because you have changed anything about yourself. But because they no longer know how to deal with you AS a friend. Instead they see you as that broken pony.
Why would you even consider someone like that a friend??? My friend and I have lively and sometimes heated discussions about our differences in beliefs and we kid each other about which of is wrong, but I've never had my friend try to 'fix' my possible eternal damnation. True friends should respect such boundaries.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:38 PM

581 posts, read 961,871 times
I'm an Athiest and lived in Central PA for some time. Not the south, but i'm sure anyone else who's lived there can agree it has a strong religious presence. I found that I got along fine as long as I kept my lack of faith to myself. They're well-meaning people for the most part.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:06 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,291,289 times
In my area, no one cares. In fact, it's nice because there is less traffic on Sunday mornings, easier to get a seat for brunch, and easier to get parking for the beach and other attractions while everyone else is at church!

The lesson though is if you're not a loudmouth, no one ever cares about anything that you are.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:43 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,218,081 times
"Satan" - not "Satin."
"Israel" - not "Isreal."
"Atheist" - not "Athiest."

My three pet spelling peeves when people start writing about religion.

Old 09-07-2014, 12:02 AM

13,709 posts, read 21,781,021 times
Everytime I see this thread, I think it says "Is Atlanta looked down upon in the South." Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.