Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:20 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times

Advertisements

I enjoy snow removal. I have a good running snow blower and it gets me out of the house in the winter. I actually really enjoy doing it. its something I look forward to. Its less work then mowing the lawn in the summer in my opinion and I only typically do it if its 3-4" or more. so its not like your doing it ALLLL the time. Now if I had to shovel my entire 200 foot driveway by hand with a plastic shovel it would be a completely different story...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:27 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Yeah there's just something enjoyable about it. It makes life a little more interesting, and not in a bad way. Each and every snowstorm is unique in terms of snow depth, composition, drift, ice, etc. Also, sometimes it's a nice way to say hi to your neighbors and people are generally helpful with each other.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:46 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
As others have said, you really need to shovel the snow if there is going to be an extended period of cold weather as it can freeze, ice up, and become next to impossible to remove.

That said, I don't like to shovel unless I absolutely have to and I've got the shovel/don't shovel thing down to a science.

If it's a light dusting of fluffy snow I probably won't shovel if there is a lot of wind in the forecast as it will just get blown away or blown back onto my driveway anyway.

I also don't shovel starting in early March because the sun is quite strong by then and it plus the warmer days we get tends to melt snow on asphalt rather quickly.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:49 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Everyone I know in all different areas of the state uses salt - why am I the only one to mention this?

If your walk ices up, which happens even if you clear it immediately due to freezing/unfreezing, you salt and use your shovel (if it's not too cold) or chopper/chipper to clear it again.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:57 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
If you own or rent a house the answer is "yes" unless you pay someone else to do it. Also most city ordinances make people shovel the sidewalk directly in front of their home.

If you rent an apartment the answer is "probably not". BUT you do need to potentially shovel your car out in order to get out of wherever you're parked especially if you're parked on the street.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:25 AM

48 posts, read 57,226 times
Snow sucks. Don't let anybody kid you. You will deal with it one way or another. There are awesome things about snow if you like to ski or snowmobile or ice fish. Driving in it with a lifted four wheel drive vehicle is fun too if you are an excellent driver. On the flip side, the weather causes a lot of deaths to people who aren't so excellent and are inexperienced. The major problem with snow is that it's all fine and dandy until the unexpected happens and you get 6-8 the night before. It happens to be the day that you want to sleep in a few extra minutes but instead you have to wake up an hour early to get rid of it or else...yes...you will have a problem that is long lasting if you decide to simply drive on it without shoveling. It's good people here are being positive about the snow fall and removal for the most part, but again, don't let them kid you, it's not all milk and cookies. If you aren't used to it, you will find things you don't like about it after the beauty wears off on that first day or two and it all turns to mud and mush.

P.S. Lived in Michigan 28 years and Rochester, NY for 1 year. Now I've been in Hawai'i for six months and have plans to move to the Carolinas because the eastern US simply is the best. I will end up in the Northeast once again some day to finally deal with the cold once again when I actually have the money to afford all of those expensive toys it takes to truly have fun in the snow (skis, snowmobiles, 4X4 vehicles, snowblowers, four wheels with attached snow plows, etc.) Grrrrrrrr.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:19 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
LOL, you only have to do serious snow removal a few of times a year, get over it! I like snow, and not just for snowmobiling and recreation - I just like it.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:53 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
I live in the city, and don't have a driveway, so all I need to do is shovel my sidewalk and steps. It's no big deal. Shoveling is a must though, because you can be found legally liable if someone slips and falls on your icy concrete.

Salting can be just as important as shoveling, particularly when it comes to dealing with ice. Indeed, I'm liable to salt more than shovel, unless the temperature rises right after a snowstorm and the snow gets quite wet.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:22 PM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
I live in central Illinois in an apartment with an open parking lot. Most of the driving ways are shoveled but 6 or 7 times last winter I dug my car out with my shovel so that it could back into the shoveled driveways. Though the snow was a little more extreme than usual. My little Honda was having enough of it!

Old 09-04-2014, 02:44 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
I mean, one of the reasons why obesity is much higher in the South, is because people don't shovel snow. It's good exercise, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.