Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 02:54 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times

Advertisements

Where I currently live: the Pacific Northwest. The entire region, not just the cities. People up here just tend to be more friendly, less judgemental of other regions, not as extreme in their political views (except for a few areas in Seattle and Portland, but even that gets exaggerrated), and overall more "live and let live" than in other regions I've lived in in the past.

Even though I didn't grow up in this region, I have felt welcome and "at home" up here from day one. And as a bonus, it's naturally gorgeous here. I've been moving around all my life, and this is the first time I've ever considered just staying permanently and putting down roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I fit in best in two regions (which overlap each other to some extent) - the Mid Atlantic and the South. I have LEARNED to fit in very nicely (and to appreciate) Texas very much but Texas has been an acquired taste for me - sort of like sashimi or merlot. I was taken aback at first but now I love it.

I fit in best where people are friendly and laid back - where they talk with other people in the check out line. One thing that really resonates with me about Texas (as I've gotten older and wiser and more tolerant of others, and yet more put out with government) is that independent sort of spirit coupled with a strong work ethic. When I was younger and more idealistic (and more strident in my beliefs before time and experience mellowed me) I wouldn't have fit in as well here, but now it fits me like a glove.

I like the faster pace of the Mid Atlantic region, coupled with the GREAT beaches and culture closely tied to the coast. Those are two things I miss about that region in particular but I know I can always go visit!

I like many things about other regions but I don't feel that pull or that affinity to them like I do to the south and mid Atlantic regions.
Texas was my favorite state I ever lived in. My dad was in the military so I lived in San Antonio for many years. I love Texas because Texans make you feel right at home even if you are a transplant. Texans are very outgoing, sociable and welcoming to newcomers. I hated the heat and humidity thou. I always have a place in my heart for Texas even thou I doubt I will ever live there again because I hate their weather. Have a blessed day

Old 09-04-2014, 03:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Texas was my favorite state I ever lived in. My dad was in the military so I lived in San Antonio for many years. I love Texas because Texans make you feel right at home even if you are a transplant. Texans are very outgoing, sociable and welcoming to newcomers. I hated the heat and humidity thou. I always have a place in my heart for Texas even thou I doubt I will ever live there again because I hate their weather. Have a blessed day
Yep, the weather can be rough - but I'm Deep South gal so I'm used to the heat and long summers. We live in northeast Texas so it's not quite as hot as central or south Texas. More humid though. But like I said, I'm so used to it it just doesn't bother me.

In fact, I'm very comfortable outside until it gets over about 95 degrees and/or over 60 percent humidity. Under that - I'm good to go.

And you're so right about Texans in general - a very hospitable, welcoming lot. Even though I'm not a native, they consider me as Texan as they are now. And I really appreciate that.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:31 PM

There are tons of things I love about the Mid Atlantic region - four seasons, close proximity to mountains and ocean, great seafood, lots of history, beautiful countryside, close to major metro areas - I'd move to Yorktown, VA at the drop of a hat if my family was close by, and if my husband would do it...two strikes going against it right there though...

Old 09-04-2014, 03:35 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,469,326 times
Quote:
Yep, the weather can be rough - but I'm Deep South gal so I'm used to the heat and long summers. We live in northeast Texas so it's not quite as hot as central or south Texas. More humid though. But like I said, I'm so used to it it just doesn't bother me.

In fact, I'm very comfortable outside until it gets over about 95 degrees and/or over 60 percent humidity. Under that - I'm good to go.

And you're so right about Texans in general - a very hospitable, welcoming lot. Even though I'm not a native, they consider me as Texan as they are now. And I really appreciate that.
I live in Kentucky now because I go to graduate school here and the people are pretty friendly but Nashville and TN remind me of Texas a bit. My girlfriend is from Nashville so I like it in the Music City and I go to Nashville quite often. I still miss Texas thou. I always had great experience in the Lone Star State. I especially love Austin for its socially liberal and open people but also Texas is very pro military at the same time so I respect them for that. I come from a military family and Texans are very welcoming of military families. I miss Texas sometimes thou.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:36 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
There are tons of things I love about the Mid Atlantic region - four seasons, close proximity to mountains and ocean, great seafood, lots of history, beautiful countryside, close to major metro areas - I'd move to Yorktown, VA at the drop of a hat if my family was close by, and if my husband would do it...two strikes going against it right there though...
I have always enjoyed my visits to Hampton Roads. Colonial Williamsburg and Virginia Beach are nice.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have always enjoyed my visits to Hampton Roads. Colonial Williamsburg and Virginia Beach are nice.
Oh, they sure are. I love it there. I was lucky enough to live there for several years (and then later in Maryland) and then my daughter and her husband got stationed there for five years, so I've really been lucky when it comes to spending time in that beautiful region.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:08 PM

596 posts, read 820,812 times
California, like an old glove.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:47 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Quote:
Yes, that's our vacation plan for next year for our tenth anniversary. I can hardly wait!

I find that places where my ancestors came from pull at me, probably because I am very into history. Some of my earliest ancestors settled in Salem, MA and were actually on both sides of the Salem witch trials. Then they moved south into PA and the Yorktown and Williamsburg area of VA and stayed there for a long time. In the mid 1700s a branch of them moved to SC and then another branch (my branch ) moved from there to Arkansas and Texas in the early 1800s. Actually they were run out of town, which I think is pretty funny - and didn't stop running till they got to Arkansas, which was definitely the west in those days.

So my ancestors fought (on both sides) in the Revolutionary War, both sides in the Civil War (but predominately the Confederacy), and in the Texas Revolution as well. YEEEHAW!

But back to your question - yes, we'll be doing the New England thing about this time next year. We're very excited! When it gets closer to that date, I'll be picking the brains of CDers for ideas and suggestions!
Born and raised in New England and really miss the fall, but hate the winters. I noticed your header indicated you were from "The Great State of Texas." I have friends from Houston who always refer to it that way. Gave me a chuckle. As for me, I have always felt at home in NC. Tried Austin, but it didn't resonate with my family. I also liked Nashville and the west coast.

Old 09-05-2014, 03:31 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Fit in:
Blue States

50/50:
Purple States

Not fit in:
Red States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.