Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 05:14 AM

235 posts, read 331,491 times

Advertisements

I think I fit in best in progressive regions of the southeast. I like that it's friendly and laid back yet progressive at the same time. After that, I'd say the northwest or Midwest. When i lived in portland I didn't really feel like I fit in since I'm not a hipster and more preppy/fratty but I never felt ostracized for that so was comfortable living there. I think I'd also enjoy the Midwest because I have a lot of friends from there who are beyond friendly.

One city that I love but definitely felt I wouldn't fit in is San Diego. I love the city but found that it had a substantial bro/Ed Hardy culture to it. In addition to that, I don't think id fit in in New York
City, Miami, Vegas, Orlando, or smaller conservative southern cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:13 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
Where I fit in:

West Coast and SoCal
Southeast
Northeast (Ex-downtown of major cities)
Mountain West

Where I don't fit in:
San Francisco
Midwest
The Democratic National Convention

Old 09-05-2014, 11:37 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Come to think of it....yeah, I tend to fit in better in blue states, and not so much in red states. Funny.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 AM

3,121 posts, read 3,095,938 times
I'd probably fit in best in front of a bunch of huge television screens at a sports book in las vegas.

I used to think that I'd fit in with Portland, but I'm even too weird for them.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:36 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,026,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Are there certain regions, cities or any places within the U.S. that you feel like you simply fit in naturally and best? Likewise, are there certain places where you feel like you just don't fit in at all?

I had a friend who was born and raised in Indianapolis and he moved to central CT for work, after college. After about 7 years, he moved back to Indianapolis and told me that he "felt like he never fit in, in CT." This is just an example.

For me, I would say that I feel comfortable with almost anywhere in the BosWash Corridor, Florida (other than the panhandle), and certain places out West, such as Albuquerque, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Maybe parts of CA. But that's it. Everywhere else would require some substantial adjustment.

You?
I never felt I fit in when I visited California or Las Vegas. I am of ample size and shape, I like to dress very casually and not wear makeup or any superfluous jewelry and I would never get cosmetic surgery. I always felt like a troll (Harry Potter type, not forum type) next to these size 0 women of indeterminate age who were made up like Kabuki dancers and decked out like Christmas trees. (Interestingly, I had a close friend who moved from Minnesota to Las Vegas and then to San Diego, and after a couple of years she was literally unrecognizable to me, both in appearance and personality.)

I feel very at home in rural Wisconsin, where people tend to dress for comfort rather than for making an impression. I also felt I fit in when I visited Alaska and the Florida Panhandle.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:48 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I used to feel I really fit in the PNW when I moved there several decades ago. It was such an easy place in which to live. But things change as all things do.

When I recently re-relocated to the Midwest where I am originally from, I felt a lot more at home. I like the much more easy laid back friendly attitude of the the people I meet all the time in my new city. I really feel I am home again.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:10 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,519,622 times
Excluding all places where I've lived, I'd say that I felt like I was able to fit in the most (by far) in Spokane, WA. It's laid-back in attitude, not as materialist as the big West Coast cities, a little more open minded and accepting of change than people in smaller cities in the Upper Midwest, a little more outgoing than those in smaller Rust Belt cities, not as religious as the South, and it's a little trashy, like me. I also felt like I was able to fit in well in Salt Lake City, Billings, Denver, Milwaukee, Ottawa, Winnipeg, and Buffalo.

I'd say that I fit in the least in Oklahoma City, Boston, San Diego, Indianapolis, New York City, Philadelphia, and anywhere in the South (even the bigger, liberal cities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.