Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 08:57 AM

120 posts, read 461,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Rosecranz View Post
Houston. That's it.

Oklahoma City has very few suburbs. Like Houston, it's monstrously big. They both dwarf Los Angeles (which itself is enormous and sprawling).

Maybe the massive size of those two cities is the reason why they have very few suburbs. Houston has Pasadena, Tx, and Spring, but that's about it.
LOL HOUSTON!!! is that a joke because I am cracking up, Houston is the exact opposite of what he is looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 10:58 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
LOL, I wasn't looking for myself--but I suppose I was sorta looking on behalf of my buddy SWB.

You see, poor SWB despises suburbs--and yet he lives in Scranton, a worn out rust bucket that has no future as a self-supported urban area and is destined to become (you guessed it) a suburb. He also recently stated his ideal city would have no suburbs... and it looks like we have found him one!

El Paso is calling you, man. It has a diverse culture--and there's no way El Paso will ever become a bedroom community for NYC.

A person who hates suburbs can find your bliss if you live near... Ft. Bliss.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:04 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I think every decent-sized city has suburbs. Although, they may not be the stereotypical cookie-cutter housing developments that many of us associate with modern suburban living. Traditionally, a city has a dense urban core and a relatively less dense ring surrounding the city. That ring constitutes the sub-urban zone of the city. Because there is less density, land is cheaper and it is thus easier for people to buy houses on larger lots than they could afford in the urban core. Nowadays, in many larger cities there exists what is referred to as the exurbs (ex-urban zone). The exurbs have popped up in areas far from the urban core because the sub-urban zone has become so dense and expensive that people are forced out into a further ring zone if they want to buy the size house or amount of land that they formerly could have afforded in the sub-urban zone.
This is a sad and frightening trend with the current oil situation.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:34 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This is a sad and frightening trend with the current oil situation.
Yes, except that as time passes, the suburbs tend to fill in with businesses, universities, museums, and theaters. In time, fewer and fewer suburbanites work downtown or have any reason to go to the urban core.

Right now, an interesting trend is to build "town centers" --large suburban complexes that have shopping malls surrounded by condos, apartments, and office buildings. Theoretically, you can live, work, and play without leaving your car--and without ever leaving the suburbs. I know a few people who live like this at Dulles Town Center--but most people I know still drive a mile or so. I no longer know anyone who drives all the way to DC, though. Even as recently as 5 years ago we had a few neighbors who made that commute, but no longer.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:58 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
[quote=Slauson Rosecranz;2335559] Oklahoma City has very few suburbs. Like Houston, it's monstrously big. [quote]

I agree that OKC is monstrously big - but few suburbs?? Were you being sarcastic? The city is like one big suburb, with lots of distinct neighborhoods scattered throughout.

The actual downtown area, with the Bricktown entertainment district, is quite small.

Old 12-29-2007, 02:38 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Rosecranz View Post
Houston. That's it.

Oklahoma City has very few suburbs. Like Houston, it's monstrously big. They both dwarf Los Angeles (which itself is enormous and sprawling).

Maybe the massive size of those two cities is the reason why they have very few suburbs. Houston has Pasadena, Tx, and Spring, but that's about it.
Being a Houstonian, I can tell you we have a ton of suburbs. Some may be in the great Houston city limits but are so far out - are suburbs. We have a lot though - Pasadena, Deer Park, Sante Fe, League City, Kemah, Seabrook, Friendswood, Pearland, Humble, Kingwood, Woodlands, Katy, Sugarland, Richmond, La Porte, Galena Park, Rosenburg, Fulshear, and it goes on.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:04 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Being a Houstonian, I can tell you we have a ton of suburbs. Some may be in the great Houston city limits but are so far out - are suburbs. We have a lot though - Pasadena, Deer Park, Sante Fe, League City, Kemah, Seabrook, Friendswood, Pearland, Humble, Kingwood, Woodlands, Katy, Sugarland, Richmond, La Porte, Galena Park, Rosenburg, Fulshear, and it goes on.
No, no, dear. Kingwood is a district within the City of Houston.

An info board is not the appropriate place to speak relatively. If it's in the city, it can't be a suburb.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Yes, except that as time passes, the suburbs tend to fill in with businesses, universities, museums, and theaters. In time, fewer and fewer suburbanites work downtown or have any reason to go to the urban core.

Right now, an interesting trend is to build "town centers" --large suburban complexes that have shopping malls surrounded by condos, apartments, and office buildings. Theoretically, you can live, work, and play without leaving your car--and without ever leaving the suburbs. I know a few people who live like this at Dulles Town Center--but most people I know still drive a mile or so. I no longer know anyone who drives all the way to DC, though. Even as recently as 5 years ago we had a few neighbors who made that commute, but no longer.
I tried to give you a rep point but I have to spread some around first. So I will publicly give you one. The above has happened to a large degree in Denver, too. The only problem is that if one loses one's job, one may have to take a new job that requires a commute.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:04 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,995,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie
Right now, an interesting trend is to build "town centers" --large suburban complexes that have shopping malls surrounded by condos, apartments, and office buildings. Theoretically, you can live, work, and play without leaving your car--and without ever leaving the suburbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
The only problem is that if one loses one's job, one may have to take a new job that requires a commute.
What would be nice is if they then connected all the "town centers" with well-planned mass transit.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:17 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaf623 View Post
Alexandria has Pineville (which many consider a "sister city" rather than a suburb), as well as Tioga, Ball, and Woodworth. Suburban type unincorporated areas are growing rapidly along the Highway 28 Corridor to the west of Alexandria and the east of Pineville. The Alexandria metro area as a whole has about 130,000 people.
Pineville might as well be part of Alexandria. You are correct. My definition of "suburbs" is a tangled web of housing developments where the curb is six feet from the front door and the houses are on top of one another. Though they do exist, there aren't that many surrounding the city compared to cities of comparable size, thank God for that I say. In my opinion, sprawl is a cities worst enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.