Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 05:07 AM

20 posts, read 29,283 times

Advertisements

Which cities aren't very social, as in the locals keep themselves to themselves? I am very introverted and I am sick of living in the south where folks are friendly but also very extraverted, which isn't my type at all. I want to be where you can go through the day politely without strangers asking about your personal life.

Cities that aren't into clubbing too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 05:27 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Hands down the Orlando area. Despite being in "the South" it has very little in common with most of the region. People are not extroverted or liable to elicit any conversations with strangers, and definitely not friendly in general. Any random conversation with a cashier at a store for example, beyond the transaction and a fake "thanks for shopping" is met with a look of having three heads. It's not a "clubbing" town either unless you're 23 years old.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:31 PM

555 posts, read 803,196 times
The PNW, definitely. No social scene; people who aren't friendly; depressing weather that keeps you inside most of the year---Portland or Seattle would fit the bill, although I don't think 'politeness' is a strong feature here it occasionally happens.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:13 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,461,212 times
In my experience, PNW people are generally polite; they just aren't friendly. There's a difference.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:44 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk4440 View Post
The PNW, definitely. No social scene; people who aren't friendly; depressing weather that keeps you inside most of the year---Portland or Seattle would fit the bill, although I don't think 'politeness' is a strong feature here it occasionally happens.
actually the weather in Seattle and Portland doesn't stop most people. It's always warm or cool enough (rarely cold or hot) to stay outside and rarely pours. It's not like Phoenix, Houston (brutal summers) or Chicago (brutally cold winters and springs, hot and rainy summers).

Old 09-10-2014, 03:24 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
In my experience, PNW people are generally polite; they just aren't friendly. There's a difference.
I agree. Blatant rudeness is quite uncommon here, and people are very courteous and say sorry a lot. Yet if you say "good morning" to a stranger chances are they will just look at you funny like you violated their space. I think the Pacific Northwest is a lot like Canada in that respect.

Old 09-10-2014, 04:21 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,390,324 times
The Boston-Washington DC area.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:15 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,768 times
People in Phoenix are generally aloof and distant. There's lots of isolation there--people go from their air-conditioned house to their garaged car with dark tinted windows to work and vice versa. Naturally, on a routine like that where you never even *see* them, social interactions among neighbors are very limited. Very limited pedestrian activity in Phoenix, and people don't hang outside of their homes on their front lawns or in their driveways because it's either too hot or too chilly for most of the year. Don't expect your co-workers to befriend you, either. Arizona's a very transient state--people are constantly moving in and out, so I think that's where a lot of the distance and mistrust comes from. Rarely do people great you with a "good morning," and if you make a joke or small talk with a cashier in a checkout line, be prepared to receive a blank stare in return. It's a great place for loners and introverts, for sure.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:17 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
People in Phoenix are generally aloof and distant. There's lots of isolation there--people go from their air-conditioned house to their garaged car with dark tinted windows to work and vice versa. Naturally, on a routine like that where you never even *see* them, social interactions among neighbors are very limited. Very limited pedestrian activity in Phoenix, and people don't hang outside of their homes on their front lawns or in their driveways because it's either too hot or too chilly for most of the year. Don't expect your co-workers to befriend you, either. Arizona's a very transient state--people are constantly moving in and out, so I think that's where a lot of the distance and mistrust comes from. Rarely do people great you with a "good morning," and if you make a joke or small talk with a cashier in a checkout line, be prepared to receive a blank stare in return. It's a great place for loners and introverts, for sure.
How can anyone take you seriously when you are constantly posting your bias like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Don't want anyone else to make the same mistake I did, dude. :hamd:
No place is entirely negative, yet your posts (post after post) sadly sound as though you have quite the axe to grind. Perhaps it didn't work out for you quite the way you hoped it would; however, others have made it work for them.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:21 PM

542 posts, read 1,683,464 times
1) Salt Lake City
2) Seattle
3) Portland
4) NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.