Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Ontario more "northeastern" or "midwestern"?
Northeastern 11 34.38%
Midwestern 21 65.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:12 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times

Advertisements

Most of it actually feels midwestern.

Quebec, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia feel pretty Northeastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 09:19 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Most of it actually feels midwestern..
Ontario is Midwestern in a Michigan sort of way. Manitoba is Midwestern in the prairie/great plains sort of way.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:39 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Default Is the province of Ontario more "northeastern" or "midwestern"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Obviously, it's Canada and that's a stricter border than the Mason-Dixon Line but...why not? What US region does it seem to have more in common with or is more aligned with?
The answer is its both. And of course neither because its Canada.

My impression is that Toronto and areas further east to the Thousand Islands and the St Lawrence Valley, plus the Ottawa area is more oriented toward the Northeast. Actually I read this on the Canadian form somewhere. I would also add the Niagara region which of course is right next to the Niagara Frontier of New York.

However, from Hamilton and down southwest to Windsor is more oriented toward the Midwest (again I read this on the Canadian forum). Windsor of course is a no brainer be right next to Detroit but I also would say that the large amount of farmlands in southernwestern Ontario also looks more like the Midwest.

Southwestern Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Its economy is heavily tied in with that of the midwestern United States, in particular the border state of Michigan. Auto manufacturing and parts, agriculture and hi-tech industries are key components of the region’s economy. The region also provides important transportation routes for commercial trucking, railway and tanker shipping from Detroit-Windsor and Port Huron, Michigan-Sarnia linking Canada with major markets in the eastern and midwestern United States.

Finally, the great bulk of the province which is highly wooded and filled with lakes. If you are comparing this part of Ontario to the three forested and "laked" states of Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota - yes I would Ontario looks like the Midwest. But if we are comparing Ontario to the majority of the Midwest states; Kansas, Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska etc., then I would say that Ontario looks like the Northeast.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:46 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Ontario is Midwestern in a Michigan sort of way. Manitoba is Midwestern in the prairie/great plains sort of way.
This description is pretty good.

And Michigan (or Wisconsin or Minnesota) itself looks like the highly wooded Northeast in some areas. At least when sitting at a lake deep in a Michigan forest, you might think you are in Maine. Harder to get that feeling in Nebraska lol.

Mother Nature sometimes does not divide regions conveniently.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:09 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
If I had to compare them to different regions of the the United States, Ontario felt more Midwestern to me, and Quebec felt more Northeastern.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:26 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,868,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Obviously, it's Canada and that's a stricter border than the Mason-Dixon Line but...why not? What US region does it seem to have more in common with or is more aligned with?
I would say Midwestern. Not like Kansas Midwestern, but more like Michigan or Ohio Midwestern.

Manitoba or Saskatchewan would be like Kansas Midwestern.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:39 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Most of the province of Ontario is northern wilderness. It's huge in area being almost the same size as Alaska.
Ontario at 1.67 million sq. Km and Alaska at 1.71 million sq. Km. Once you get more than 100 miles from the US border it's a different world altogether.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:35 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Most of the province of Ontario is northern wilderness. It's huge in area being almost the same size as Alaska.
Ontario at 1.67 million sq. Km and Alaska at 1.71 million sq. Km. Once you get more than 100 miles from the US border it's a different world altogether.
Right, and if going by that, the region in the US most analogous is the MN/WI/MI northwoods (which are part of the Canadian Shield).

I vote "Upper Midwest," but a good bulk of the population is definitely in a NE transition zone, at the very least.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:10 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Right, and if going by that, the region in the US most analogous is the MN/WI/MI northwoods (which are part of the Canadian Shield).

I vote "Upper Midwest," but a good bulk of the population is definitely in a NE transition zone, at the very least.
You are correct as far as the "near north" in Ontario goes. I've travelled a lot through all of those states and it is very much like the On. near north. The "Far north" is something completely different though. There is nothing in the lower 48 that is anything like it. As far as the people and culture go the closest thing would be Alaska.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
The answer is its both. And of course neither because its Canada.
Best answer so far!

Quote:
My impression is that Toronto and areas further east to the Thousand Islands and the St Lawrence Valley, plus the Ottawa area is more oriented toward the Northeast. Actually I read this on the Canadian form somewhere. I would also add the Niagara region which of course is right next to the Niagara Frontier of New York.

However, from Hamilton and down southwest to Windsor is more oriented toward the Midwest (again I read this on the Canadian forum). Windsor of course is a no brainer be right next to Detroit but I also would say that the large amount of farmlands in southernwestern Ontario also looks more like the Midwest.
I'd say Hamilton is "northeastern" in a Buffalo/Pittsburgh kind of way. It isn't usually viewed as SW Ontario. SW Ontario basically starts around Kitchener.

Quote:
Finally, the great bulk of the province which is highly wooded and filled with lakes. If you are comparing this part of Ontario to the three forested and "laked" states of Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota - yes I would Ontario looks like the Midwest. But if we are comparing Ontario to the majority of the Midwest states; Kansas, Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska etc., then I would say that Ontario looks like the Northeast.
Yup, Northern Ontario certainly has similarities to Michigan's UP and Minnesota's Iron Range. Lakes, woods and resource extraction that attracted an array of European ethnic groups (Finns are a group found on both sides of the border, for example).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.