Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2011, 12:32 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,634,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Meh. If I had known this, I wouldn't have been so defensive. And it was un-called-for to say you pulled that out of your ass. You prabobly do know what you're talking about and are basing what you're saying off of knowledge and experiences that I don't have.
I accept.
Quote:
You're a senior member with two stars and I don't think I've seen you post on the Chicago forums before..?
I haven't really spent much time in Chgo forums, because though I was born and raised in Chgo, I now live in NJ and have spent most of my time in Phila.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with it. It was just going back to the original subject of white privilege and the mistaken assumption that whites (or at least urban/suburban whites) have a mostly middle-class/upper-class background.
I'll say this: I don't think whites are all rich oligarchs, but I do say that the struggles many have had in Chicago and other American cities or regions don't begin to compare with what black people have dealt with and still deal with. That's just a fact of American life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:13 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,250 times
Santa Clarita, California

Old 05-08-2011, 09:19 PM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Santa Clarita, California
What kinds of crimes occur in Santa Clarita?

Old 05-09-2011, 12:42 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,544,700 times
Possibly it's a joke. The town is listed as racially mixed and relatively low crime.

Probably I have nothing new to say on this. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania looks to be one of the whiter cities to be consistently high in murder rate. Although it's listed as 65% white, which is still a bit below the US average, the American Community Survey says the metropolitan area of the city is like 88.9% white.

//www.city-data.com/city/Pittsb...nsylvania.html
//www.city-data.com/top2/c417.html
United States by Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Area; and for Puerto Rico - GCT0201. Percent of the Total Population Who Are White Alone<BR>Universe: Total population

Decatur, Illinois also has a high murder rate in most years and is listed as 73.7% white. The American Community survey says its metro is 81.9% white.

//www.city-data.com/city/Decatur-Illinois.html
United States by Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Area; and for Puerto Rico - GCT0201. Percent of the Total Population Who Are White Alone<BR>Universe: Total population

Old 05-09-2011, 07:03 AM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Possibly it's a joke. The town is listed as racially mixed and relatively low crime.

Probably I have nothing new to say on this. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania looks to be one of the whiter cities to be consistently high in murder rate. Although it's listed as 65% white, which is still a bit below the US average, the American Community Survey says the metropolitan area of the city is like 88.9% white.

//www.city-data.com/city/Pittsb...nsylvania.html
//www.city-data.com/top2/c417.html

Decatur, Illinois also has a high murder rate in most years and is listed as 73.7% white. The American Community survey says its metro is 81.9% white.

//www.city-data.com/city/Decatur-Illinois.html
Speaking of Pittsburgh, I have decided to check out other cities with similar or lower percentage of Whites that have lower murder rates:
//www.city-data.com/city/Jersey...ew-Jersey.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Toledo-Ohio.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Hampton-Virginia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Chesapeake-Virginia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Virgin...-Virginia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Alexandria-Virginia.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Tyler-Texas.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Missouri-City-Texas.html

Old 07-14-2011, 02:16 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Yeah Hampden has nice parts, but people that aren't street smart or people that have kids probably shouldn't live in that neighborhood. The crime rates in Hampden are ridiculously high compared to most places in the United States. Numbers don't lie, Bill. You are six times more likely to be murdered in Hampden than a town with an average murder rate and you think its a nice place?! That is a real statistic and there is no way around it. There are tons of people who grew up in Hampden and Pigtown and still live there who are more than willing to admit that those neighborhoods aren't safe places. The majority of people from Hampden on this website don't sugarcoat it as a nice place. I'm not exactly from sheltered safe White suburbia either. I grew up in what was very much the ghetto in San Francisco. Where I lived had the highest homicide rate and armed robbery rate in the whole city in the early 90's. Back then, the neighborhood was predominantly Black. To this day, Whites are a minority in that neighborhood. But the crime rates in my old neighborhood in San Francisco in 2011 can't hold a candle to overwhelmingly White Hampden. Let's compare:

San Francisco Ingleside Heights Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics

Baltimore Hampden Demographics - Neighborhood Demographics

Yes, the crime rates in my old neighborhood are above the national average. You are about twice as likely to be murdered in my old neighborhood than in a town with an average crime rate and you are twice as likely to be robbed and four times as likely to get your car stolen. However, both Hampden and Pigtown's crime rates in every single category are much greater than my old neighborhood. In fact, according to the total crime risk index, Hampden is more than twice as dangerous as Ingleside Heights in Lakeview San Francisco. My old neighborhood was much worse when I was growing up though and is much more gentrified today.

Minnie Ward -- helped clean up Ocean View area - SFGate
I work in Hampden and drive through Pigtown everyday for work and Hampden seems like suburbia compared to Pigtown. Brooklyn Park by the 895 tunnel is another heavy white slum. I saw some dudes coming towards me as I was pulling up to a gas station and locked the door. I rarely do that in the worst black neighborhoods but when those white dudes in hoodies were coming my way, it was thump.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Fact Zone:

The Chicago Crime Scenes Project: 138 Years of Murder in Chicago

No more than 15 per 100k people in the '20s.
Topped out at twice that in the '90s.

United States cities by crime rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You guys aren't going to find a high white population percentage with a crime rate anywhere near that of a high black population percentage. Take from it what you may, but I dare somebody to find stats from the Wikipedia-FBI crime link I posted.

Why? I don't know, and I won't go into it. I'm not into hurting feelings or offending people, which discussing race often/almost always does.
It doesn't exist even in the white slums of Baltimore, Boston and Detroit. None of them come anywhere near the level of Black carnage seen across the country on a nightly basis.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Oh. I thought you were saying something opposite to that. Like Gary is mostly black and crime-ridden, Toronto is mostly non-black (but not mostly white) and not too bad on crime therefore, etc.

There's a tendency on C-D, even among people who are liberal on social issues, to equate blacks with criminals. And I think it's black, and Hispanics to an extent, not simply "non-whites" in general that get equated so. If one found a majority Asian-American city high in crime I think some here might be as or more surprised than the examples of largely/mostly white cities high in crime. I'm not even sure American Indians get equated to crime quite so much as blacks on this, or in fairness other, forums.

Anyway yeah some of the high crime "black cities" have a fairly large white population, some of whom likely have bad neighborhoods too. Baltimore was mentioned earlier. Flint looks to be around 42% white. Saginaw, Michigan is slightly more white than black, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone believes or insists it's crime is just blacks. Rochester, New York is similar in being slightly more white than black.

//www.city-data.com/city/Flint-Michigan.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Saginaw-Michigan.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Rochester-New-York.html

To get back more to the spirit of the question how big a majority of white is needed to fit as a "white dominated community"? One poster said 85% or more, but there really aren't that many cities that are 85% or more white. Even Billings, Montana is just 86% white and Portland is 73.5% white. So it seems like anything over 70% white might be "white dominated" by urban standards.

//www.city-data.com/city/Billings-Montana.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Portland-Oregon.html

If we can go down to 70% Salt Lake City, Utah looks to have a surprisingly high rate of property crime.

//www.city-data.com/city/Salt-Lake-City-Utah.html

Fort Smith, Arkansas nearly makes the 70% mark and looks to be fairly high in violence.

//www.city-data.com/city/Fort-Smith-Arkansas.html
I can vouch for Rochester where as the poverty level is race nuetral Blacks commit the vast majority of violent crime. Nice touch on the Ghana stats though. Crime isn't race based but cultural and unfortunately poor Black Americans are immersed in a negative, regressive culture.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,910,715 times
Palmdale and Lancaster, CA. The desert ghettos. Fontana, CA as well.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:45 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,951,603 times
Capitol Hill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.