Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 11:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Personnaly, I think Wisconsin is by far more German than Pennsylvania. Not only in percentage (42.9 % vs 27.1 %) but culturally WI is more known for having a German culture. When I think about PA, Amish and Pennsylvania Dutch comes to my mind but not necessarily Germany because they came earlier and create a identify that you only find in the New World. PA just have more people of German ancestry.
There are parts of rural southeastern PA, even excluding the Pennsylvania Dutch types, that are German and have lived in Pennsylvania since the 18th century. Many spoke German for centuries, and were the original colonial settlers more so than the British. The same areas got 19th century German immigrants, which fit into the existing German community. The same was probably true for Philadelphia, but the earlier German population probably assimilated faster and their numbers were overwhelmed by later waves of immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:37 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Why would it be surprising that he is Catholic? There are more Catholic Germans than Protestants.
Around 1/3 of German immigrants to the U.S. were Catholic. Today, Catholics make up 26% of people reporting German ancestry.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
Putting on blueblood airs is a proud tradition for wannabes from many non-WASP backgrounds.
However, at traditionally for the Northeast, it's a politically stupid thing to do. It's more popular to play up your ethnic roots rather than emphasize "my ancestors have been here since the Mayflower".

That means judging candidates by their loyalties - to their neighborhood and ethnic group - and by their level of attentiveness to average constituents. Forgetting where one came from is the cardinal sin. That’s why Representative Michael Capuano never misses a chance to tout his working-class roots and home in Somerville. It’s why even the upwardly mobile businessman-turned-politician Stephen Pagliuca felt obliged to recall how an employer once told him, “I didn’t know they had Italians at Harvard Business School.”

Curley’s People - The Boston Globe

Most extreme was a Boston politician, James Curly, in the early and mid 20th century who went out of his way to emphasize he wasn't a blueblood. He called WASPs in a speech "a strange and stupid race" and “The day of the Puritan has passed; the Anglo-Saxon is a joke; a new and better America is here.”

Old 09-16-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I know Wisconsin has a significant Catholic population but he just comes off as very waspy to me.
Yet you still hear Paul Ryan talk about his Irish Catholic roots. The Vice Presidential debate between him and Joe Biden featured the two candidates trying to out-Irish the other.

Joe Biden On Malarkey | 2012 Vice Presidential Debate | Ora TV - YouTube

Biden actually talks about his Irish Catholic background a lot.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:49 AM

It looks like Joe Biden was inducted into the Irish Hall of Fame.

Quote:
Born in the heavily Irish Pennsylvania town of Scranton, Vice President Joe Biden has been an elected public official for over 40 years. His reason for entering into politics? What he calls the “Irish ethic of loyalty” that comes from a family history of public service. “In my family, politics wasn’t a dirty word, it was about righting things that were wrong,” Biden says. It is no surprise that one of his political icons is Wolfe Tone, who Biden described in a past interview as Senator with Irish America as “the embodiment of some of the things that I think are the noblest of all.
Vice President Joe Biden | Irish America

Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Because Catholics only make up about 20% of the US population-and most white catholics are in The Northeastern part of the US with only small pockets elsewhere like New Orleans.

I know Wisconsin has a significant Catholic population but he just comes off as very waspy to me.
Wisconsin is heavily Catholic, I would guess much more so than that 20% figure. Plus he's Irish and German. I agree that Ryan comes off as a jack ass though.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It looks like Joe Biden was inducted into the Irish Hall of Fame.

Vice President Joe Biden | Irish America
Yep, Biden stopped by the Commodore Barry Club (or The Irish Center) in Mt. Airy where my dad manages during the campaign trail a few years ago.

Interesting that Ryan appears to be for Immigration reform-or at least Irish immigration reform.

http://irishlobbyusa.org/page/2/

Old 09-16-2014, 12:03 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Wisconsin is heavily Catholic, I would guess much more so than that 20% figure. Plus he's Irish and German. I agree that Ryan comes off as a jack ass though.
Yeah, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are both 29% Catholic.

Rhode Island is the highest at 63% and Alabama the lowest at 6%.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:19 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
However, at traditionally for the Northeast, it's a politically stupid thing to do. It's more popular to play up your ethnic roots rather than emphasize "my ancestors have been here since the Mayflower".

That means judging candidates by their loyalties - to their neighborhood and ethnic group - and by their level of attentiveness to average constituents. Forgetting where one came from is the cardinal sin. That’s why Representative Michael Capuano never misses a chance to tout his working-class roots and home in Somerville. It’s why even the upwardly mobile businessman-turned-politician Stephen Pagliuca felt obliged to recall how an employer once told him, “I didn’t know they had Italians at Harvard Business School.”

Curley’s People - The Boston Globe

Most extreme was a Boston politician, James Curly, in the early and mid 20th century who went out of his way to emphasize he wasn't a blueblood. He called WASPs in a speech "a strange and stupid race" and “The day of the Puritan has passed; the Anglo-Saxon is a joke; a new and better America is here.”
It depends on where you're campaigning. It pays to be able to speak from both sides of one's mouth.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
It depends on where you're campaigning. It pays to be able to speak from both sides of one's mouth.
Not necessarily. There's less of a positive to campaigain on your "blue blood" roots as those with longer term roots don't have much an identity of it. At least no Massachusetts would try such a thing, even there have been some WASPs elected to office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.