Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:05 AM

218 posts, read 342,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
30% sounds low for Humbolt Park's PR population. This site lists it as 47% Hispanic, I can't find information that breaks down the Hispanic population, but I always thought historically it was about 50% PR, which would be close to the percentage listed, assuming the majority of those Hispanics are Puerto Rican. Also, the annual Puerto Rican parade and events in Humbolt Park is one of the largest in the country and draws people from all over the country, so they definitely still have a major influence in the neighborhood.

Humboldt Park — LISC Chicago
No the majority of Hispanics in Humboldt park aren't Puerto Rican, it just has the largest amount of PRs in the city. Hispanic populations in northwest Chicago neighborhoods are evenly spilt between Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, and Hispanic populations in southwest Chicago are almost exclusively Mexican, u have to remember Chicago is about 22% Mexican and just 4% Puerto Rican. Humboldt Park , aka Lil Puerto Rico, is about 50% Hispanic (30% PR, 15% Mexican, 5% other). While Pilsen, aka Lil Mexico, is about 85% Hispanic (80% Mexican, 5% other). And also even tho the steel Puerto Rican flags are southeast of Humboldt Park, I would say the area immediately northwest of the park has the highest concentration of Puerto Ricans in the city of Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 02:02 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
No the majority of Hispanics in Humboldt park aren't Puerto Rican, it just has the largest amount of PRs in the city. Hispanic populations in northwest Chicago neighborhoods are evenly spilt between Puerto Ricans and Mexicans, and Hispanic populations in southwest Chicago are almost exclusively Mexican, u have to remember Chicago is about 22% Mexican and just 4% Puerto Rican. Humboldt Park , aka Lil Puerto Rico, is about 50% Hispanic (30% PR, 15% Mexican, 5% other). While Pilsen, aka Lil Mexico, is about 85% Hispanic (80% Mexican, 5% other). And also even tho the steel Puerto Rican flags are southeast of Humboldt Park, I would say the area immediately northwest of the park has the highest concentration of Puerto Ricans in the city of Chicago.
Oh ok. That makes sense given how large the Mexican population is in Chicago. I had just assumed that HP's Latino population was mostly Puerto Rican since people usually associate Humboldt Park with Puerto Ricans, but I never knew the actual breakdown.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:07 AM

184 posts, read 235,123 times
Well overall theres alot more northeast ricans then midwest ricans. Both have a semi strong tendency to move down south (especially cities like NYC and Chicago, these are the only 2 outta the 4 wit declining PR populations).
When Northeast/NYC ricans go down south they mostly go Florida and the upper atlantic south (VA and NC). When Midwest/chicago ricans go down south they mostly go to Florida, Georgia, Texas. To some extant, they follow the migration patterns of other local ethnic groups migrating south. Also, Chicago ricans more likely to move to the northeast (especially to NY and PA), because of much larger PR populations and better economies, compared to NYC ricans, at most they would go to Ohio.

Also another thing I would like to point out is the different relationship NYC & Philly ricans have wit blacks. In NYC, the black populations and the Hispanic populations (and the city overall) is so diverse, Puerto Ricans are just thought of as just another Hispanic/AfroCaribbean sub group, even in the 1970s, 80s and 90s before NYC got heavily diversified, Ricans and blacks were for the most part seen each other as brothers, sometimes it almost seemed like the lines blurred between the 2 groups.

In Philly, 90% of the blacks are native Black Americans, and 70% of the hispanics are Puerto Ricans, there is no real tension, but there is definitely a vibe of we're "different races", whereas in NY they largely look at each other as the same. The relationship between philly ricans n blacks is kinda similar to how Dominicans and blacks seen each other in NYC and north jersey in the 90s and early 2000s, back then there was a big indifference and Dominican and black gangs were going at it. Thru it all tho, Ricans and blacks are also known to "team up" and pick on whites, both hipster whites from Lower north philly south of Cecil b Moore ave (despite gentrification in lower north), and working class ethnic whites from kensington and the northeast (which is partly causing white flight in northeast). North Philly south of Erie is heavy segregated, blacks west of Germantown Av and Ricans/hispanics east of it, tho it seems predominantly Rican hoods are more welcoming. For example , Glenwood (80% native Black american) and Fairhill (80% Puerto Rican) are 2 neighborhoods that border each other along Germantown avenue. However, Northeast Philly and north philly past erie is getting more mixed and integrated alot of blacks and hispanics from other parts of philly and other cities are starting to move there and white flight is occurring, that part of philly blended unlike down north, really starting to resemble the Bronx.

Here's a clip of a Rican gang and a black gang shooting the fair, then coming together as friends, squashing da beef. This happend in the borderline fairhill/glenwood section. Jasper and Wishart mix

http:// https://youtu.be/5uZQlAxBjrI

Old 08-01-2016, 12:37 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
...I think many outside the northeast discount the population and influence throughout eastern Pennsylvania. (ie. Allentown, Reading, Lancaster, York)
I think many people discount the racial and ethnic diversity in eastern Pennsylvania simply because western Pennsylvania (outside of Allegheny County) is overwhelmingly white. Hispanics are a majority in Reading, and are about to become a majority in Allentown, Lancaster and Hazleton. Bethlehem and Wilkes-Barre have seen large Hispanic increases as well. At the county level, Berks and Lehigh Counties are both about 20% Hispanic. Most people probably don't realize any of this. And though not Hispanic, I bet most people don't realize that Pennsylvania has the largest Bhutanese population in the United States, and is neck-and-neck with Massachusetts for the largest Vietnamese population in the United States outside the Sun Belt.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:30 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Cleveland has a large PR community, along with outlier towns like Lorain and Youngstown. Here's an interesting article on the history of Puerto Ricans in Cleveland:
From Yauco to Cleveland: A Brief History of Puerto Ricans in Cleveland, Ohio | La Respuesta

Old 08-02-2016, 07:16 AM

24 posts, read 46,918 times
Here in florida , Orlando is losing some of its appeal and cultural "Florida" identity because of the lack of total assimilation within the larger community. It's really somewhat of a shame.

PR's are also now spreading out to many areas outside Tampa, in places such as Sarasota, Bradenton, Ft Myers, and Port Charlotte.

Frankly the huge influx of PR's around Orlando has been perceived as a negative around many local satellite communities, even by other Hispanics....for whatever reason, I can't be sure.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:00 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Well overall theres alot more northeast ricans then midwest ricans. Both have a semi strong tendency to move down south (especially cities like NYC and Chicago, these are the only 2 outta the 4 wit declining PR populations).
When Northeast/NYC ricans go down south they mostly go Florida and the upper atlantic south (VA and NC). When Midwest/chicago ricans go down south they mostly go to Florida, Georgia, Texas. To some extant, they follow the migration patterns of other local ethnic groups migrating south. Also, Chicago ricans more likely to move to the northeast (especially to NY and PA), because of much larger PR populations and better economies, compared to NYC ricans, at most they would go to Ohio.

Also another thing I would like to point out is the different relationship NYC & Philly ricans have wit blacks. In NYC, the black populations and the Hispanic populations (and the city overall) is so diverse, Puerto Ricans are just thought of as just another Hispanic/AfroCaribbean sub group, even in the 1970s, 80s and 90s before NYC got heavily diversified, Ricans and blacks were for the most part seen each other as brothers, sometimes it almost seemed like the lines blurred between the 2 groups.

In Philly, 90% of the blacks are native Black Americans, and 70% of the hispanics are Puerto Ricans, there is no real tension, but there is definitely a vibe of we're "different races", whereas in NY they largely look at each other as the same. The relationship between philly ricans n blacks is kinda similar to how Dominicans and blacks seen each other in NYC and north jersey in the 90s and early 2000s, back then there was a big indifference and Dominican and black gangs were going at it. Thru it all tho, Ricans and blacks are also known to "team up" and pick on whites, both hipster whites from Lower north philly south of Cecil b Moore ave (despite gentrification in lower north), and working class ethnic whites from kensington and the northeast (which is partly causing white flight in northeast). North Philly south of Erie is heavy segregated, blacks west of Germantown Av and Ricans/hispanics east of it, tho it seems predominantly Rican hoods are more welcoming. For example , Glenwood (80% native Black american) and Fairhill (80% Puerto Rican) are 2 neighborhoods that border each other along Germantown avenue. However, Northeast Philly and north philly past erie is getting more mixed and integrated alot of blacks and hispanics from other parts of philly and other cities are starting to move there and white flight is occurring, that part of philly blended unlike down north, really starting to resemble the Bronx.

Here's a clip of a Rican gang and a black gang shooting the fair, then coming together as friends, squashing da beef. This happend in the borderline fairhill/glenwood section. Jasper and Wishart mix

http:// https://youtu.be/5uZQlAxBjrI
I think you're overstating the black/PR unity in New York just a little bit

While there's not really any tension, and they get along, intermingle, talk and dress similar, they don't exactly view each other as being the same. And it seems like even in The Bronx, most friend groups you'll see are not mixed.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:02 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
I think many people discount the racial and ethnic diversity in eastern Pennsylvania simply because western Pennsylvania (outside of Allegheny County) is overwhelmingly white. Hispanics are a majority in Reading, and are about to become a majority in Allentown, Lancaster and Hazleton. Bethlehem and Wilkes-Barre have seen large Hispanic increases as well. At the county level, Berks and Lehigh Counties are both about 20% Hispanic. Most people probably don't realize any of this. And though not Hispanic, I bet most people don't realize that Pennsylvania has the largest Bhutanese population in the United States, and is neck-and-neck with Massachusetts for the largest Vietnamese population in the United States outside the Sun Belt.
Eastern PA seems to have a huge Hispanic (mainly Puerto Rican) presence

Old 04-10-2017, 03:02 AM

368 posts, read 453,491 times
Well, in Chicago its segregated but the smaller PR population seems to get along well with both blacks & whites, atleast better then the much larger mexican population.

As for NYC, darklofan & i1995 are both partially right. Black/hispanic population are very integrated there. But the straight off the island Puerto Ricans usually hang out with other island Ricans/Dominicans or any other type of 1st generation Hispanic. Its the Americanized Ricans who sometimes are heavily into black American (or white American) culture and have large number of black/Caribbean or Italian friends, just depends on how they are raised.

In areas like Northeast Ohio and Western NY, Ricans get along with both blacks & whites. But sometimes seem as feminine due to many of the males doing their eyebrows & being overly flambouyant/materialistic.

In Philadelphia, the Ricans are segregated, between blacks to the west & whites to the east. eastern North Philly has the highest concentration of PRs (NYC is only city with more PRs but theyre hoods are more integrated in NY than in Philly). They have a more grittier image than most other Puerto Rican communities in the states, in fact the poorest & most dangerous neighborhoods in the Philly metro are predominately Rican areas not black ones (tho they not far behind). I travel alot, but from what I see Philadelphia is the ONLY city where its more common to see a black woman with a Puerto Rican/Hispanic man than it is to see a black man with a Hispanic woman. Philly black women seem more interested in Hispanic men than black women in most other cities.

But, I think Boston seems to have the most overall black/hispanic unity than any US city, even more than NYC.

Ricans in Florida seem to mostly come from NY or straight outta PR. Many of them there are either Latin cultured/traditional or americanised (acting white or black). But Ricans in florida tend to be wealthier than the ones up north.

Again these are just stereotypes & different reputations Ricans have in these areas, not all truth.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:38 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spreadofknowledge View Post
Well, in Chicago its segregated but the smaller PR population seems to get along well with both blacks & whites, atleast better then the much larger mexican population.

As for NYC, darklofan & i1995 are both partially right. Black/hispanic population are very integrated there. But the straight off the island Puerto Ricans usually hang out with other island Ricans/Dominicans or any other type of 1st generation Hispanic. Its the Americanized Ricans who sometimes are heavily into black American (or white American) culture and have large number of black/Caribbean or Italian friends, just depends on how they are raised.

In areas like Northeast Ohio and Western NY, Ricans get along with both blacks & whites. But sometimes seem as feminine due to many of the males doing their eyebrows & being overly flambouyant/materialistic.

In Philadelphia, the Ricans are segregated, between blacks to the west & whites to the east. eastern North Philly has the highest concentration of PRs (NYC is only city with more PRs but theyre hoods are more integrated in NY than in Philly). They have a more grittier image than most other Puerto Rican communities in the states, in fact the poorest & most dangerous neighborhoods in the Philly metro are predominately Rican areas not black ones (tho they not far behind). I travel alot, but from what I see Philadelphia is the ONLY city where its more common to see a black woman with a Puerto Rican/Hispanic man than it is to see a black man with a Hispanic woman. Philly black women seem more interested in Hispanic men than black women in most other cities.

But, I think Boston seems to have the most overall black/hispanic unity than any US city, even more than NYC.

Ricans in Florida seem to mostly come from NY or straight outta PR. Many of them there are either Latin cultured/traditional or americanised (acting white or black). But Ricans in florida tend to be wealthier than the ones up north.

Again these are just stereotypes & different reputations Ricans have in these areas, not all truth.
There's are by far more Rican women with black men in Philly than black women with Rican men. Also, Philly ricans are not purely segregated, although there are certain neighborhoods that are 80%+ Puerto Rican in Philly. There is certainly integration of Ricans with Dominicans, Blacks and to a lessor extent, Whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.