Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:24 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is the complete opposite of the Bro definition back east. A bro would never be caught dead in lifted trucks, Oakleys, No Fear, etc. That would be a redneck.

Bros drive audis, wear preppy clothes, are named Biff and Chad and the like. They were in fraternities, love college football, lust after perky, dimwitted straght-haired bottle blonds in lulu lemon, go crazy for brewpubs, golf and college buddy get-togethers, and have somewhat lucrative (but not top tier) jobs in things like sales and consulting.

They're apolitical but lean Republican, anti-intellectual, and strive to be the same as everyone else in their peer group.
Perhaps we need to distinguish between preppy bros and working class bros... I hear the term used for both on the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 12:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I resent the notion that drinking micro (craft) beer makes one a "bro". I don't consider myself a bro whatsoever but I LOVE craft beer that tastes incredible and doesn't require chugging to enjoy. Since when is like higher quality equated with fakeness/insincerity/being "bro"? I think one relies on the other, but not vice versa (bros may prefer higher quality things, but higher quality things don't necessarily gravitate to bros, like amazing women or jobs).
It seemed to be the other way that people were saying bros drink mass produced domestic lager and "hipsters" drink microbrews. Though these days it seems like microbrews are drunk practically everywhere and really not that big a deal. I mean the last sporting event I went to anywhere that had no microbrews available was a remote rural rodeo...

Old 09-19-2014, 03:52 PM

116 posts, read 222,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Bro behavior isn't limited to the frat-boy I think you most associate the trait toward. Seattle in my opinion has a case of it as well, but more from the douchey hipster persona which to me is equally annoying. You know the type, very self aware of their "hipness" and smirky. There's still a conformity involved which creates the same kind of scene largely.
Seattle is not a frat-boy haven by any means, but it has more bros than you'd think, especially in neighborhoods like the U District, Fremont, and Queen Anne. I'd say compared to its West Coast peers Portland and San Francisco, it has the most bros of the three.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:10 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanObservor View Post
Seattle is not a frat-boy haven by any means, but it has more bros than you'd think, especially in neighborhoods like the U District, Fremont, and Queen Anne. I'd say compared to its West Coast peers Portland and San Francisco, it has the most bros of the three.
Fremont? Really? That area must have REALLY changed in the 15 months since I moved away.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:23 PM

35 posts, read 48,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
The great thing about NYC is that it's so huge and diverse that it's easy to avoid whatever type of people you just don't care for.
its not huge, its actually a pretty small island. But there are 8 million different types of people roaming around, yes

I was in a sorority, hung out with frats a lot. 'Bros' are just young boys who wanna have fun, and kind have a tight-knit bond with one another. Pretty much normal guys who like sports. Not sure what it is your trying to avoid. NYC has a lot of Frat alums working here, so you still see a lot of the culture in wall street area or midtown.

Old 09-19-2014, 04:28 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...kiddin-12.html

On the San Diego thread, we have a whole thread dedicated to SoCal bros, definitely not the same definition as the article. Bros are almost border line surfer/redneck/slackers that wear flat bill caps.

Old 09-19-2014, 07:02 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
^^^Urban Dicionary's definition of Bro. Looks like East Coast's definition is #1 and West Coast's is #3.

Urban Dictionary: bro

Old 09-19-2014, 08:08 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,054,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty12 View Post
Haha! I abhor bros too... Would Seattle fit the bill? I am sure you have seen me on various threads. I'm currently in Southern Indiana (on an elongated vacation in Hawaii right now) and I am looking to move from my IN town.

This is a big criteria I thought deserved its own thread as it would help me and be an interesting thread in general; The types of people in my current town are the biggest bros you could possibly know and I loathe this
Depends on where in Seattle. Belltown is bro central, as is the U District.

Old 09-19-2014, 08:13 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,340,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifflee92 View Post
its not huge, its actually a pretty small island. But there are 8 million different types of people roaming around, yes
NYC is not "a pretty small island". It's an archipelago of islands, as well as a good deal of mainland. and is rather (geographically) large.

And there are closer to 8.3-8.4 million people.

Also, you say you are on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. You really are unaware of NYC's boundaries and geography?

Old 09-19-2014, 10:21 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
NYC is not "a pretty small island". It's an archipelago of islands, as well as a good deal of mainland. and is rather (geographically) large.

And there are closer to 8.3-8.4 million people.

Also, you say you are on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. You really are unaware of NYC's boundaries and geography?
+1 Some people still think New York City is just Manhattan I suppose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.