Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:41 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,491,482 times

Advertisements

If I remember right, s.davis is the poster who considers where he/she is from (Nebraska) to be "the Upper Midwest." I can see a few "fixins" sliding in down there, but in no way is that the Upper Midwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 02:58 PM

676 posts, read 950,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Absolutely false. Many, many, many people in the urban northern midwest will commonly say "fixin' to" or "fittin' to".
It's more like "finna" or "fin to" which respectively mean "gonna" and "going to" (hear these in Milwaukee all the time). I never thought about it, but I suppose that could have come from "fixin" or "fittin" originally!

Old 09-17-2014, 03:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,052,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I've lived in Iowa for 20 years. Sometimes I hear soda, but usually Coke or Pepsi ... never pop.
Where in Iowa?? I lived there for 22 years and the entire state from what I heard naturally called it "pop". Even in the grocery stories the signs above the aisles say "POP". Soda will be understood for sure and no one will bat an eye, although from my experience if you call it "Coke" as you said usually happens, you will always get a Coke, it's not a generic term for soda pop. It's way more typical in Iowa to hear: "Can I get a coke? (answer)......Is pepsi ok?".

The entire state is hard-core in the "pop" grouping

Dialect Survey Maps

Old 09-17-2014, 03:12 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,552,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I used to live in the upper Midwest, and NO ONE there would ever use the word fixin like it was suggested. Here in Tennessee its used all the time, in the Midwest it would never be used.
Yeah, that one was a head scratcher.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:15 PM

3,450 posts, read 4,491,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARrocket View Post
It's more like "finna" or "fin to" which respectively mean "gonna" and "going to" (hear these in Milwaukee all the time). I never thought about it, but I suppose that could have come from "fixin" or "fittin" originally!
????

"Gonna" all the time; never any form of "fixin" in town, unless you're talking about folks who have certain southern touches to their speech (a portion of the black community). Or are you saying you've heard "finna" outside Milwaukee, and it's analogous to "gonna?"

Old 09-17-2014, 03:25 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,132,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
I've never found this to be the case - what cities are you speaking of?
Any city with an African-American population.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
If I remember right, s.davis is the poster who considers where he/she is from (Nebraska) to be "the Upper Midwest." I can see a few "fixins" sliding in down there, but in no way is that the Upper Midwest.
You remember INcorrectly.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:44 PM

1,119 posts, read 1,452,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The Midwest is becoming a region of interest to me, lately. I think it's better than the South, too. I found these maps and charts to be very interesting and eye opening and wanted to share!

http://www.vox.com/2014/9/15/6111911/41-maps-and-charts-that-explain-the-midwest?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_ campaign=ezraklein&utm_content=Monday
Really, really well done! This is why I like C-D: posts like this about topics I'd normally fly over (sorry, had to do that), plus getting exposure to new web sites (boatNerd is kind of fascinating - I didn't know shipping had the same positioning/telemetry available as airlines).

Old 09-17-2014, 04:25 PM

Here's a native, life-long Chicagoan:

at 0:35

http://youtu.be/rc8LAxSJbdA

Old 09-17-2014, 04:57 PM

15,939 posts, read 20,903,382 times
Quote:
????

"Gonna" all the time; never any form of "fixin" in town, unless you're talking about folks who have certain southern touches to their speech (a portion of the black community). Or are you saying you've heard "finna" outside Milwaukee, and it's analogous to "gonna?"
Living in western MI I frequently heard 'finna' or maybe 'funna' (rhymes with gonna) back in the 70's/80's. Maybe it's not as common now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.