Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 06:37 PM

12 posts, read 20,706 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone!

It seems like city-data.com is loaded with wonderful forums for so many geographic regions across the country. I've browsed many threads in a variety of different locations because I am so fascinated with the geographic diversity of America. I often think about moving, and I love the threads where people ask for advice on whether they should relocate to a particular spot.

And that got me thinking...

What if I posted a thread that was a completely open ended request for suggestions on where I should live? Would people come up with the same spots I think about? Or would a completely new idea I had never heretofore considered arise?

Here are my 10 criteria. Based on these guidelines, what places do you think of?

1) Could be anywhere in the United States
2) Family of 4. Husband, wife, son who is 3, daughter who is 6 months
3) Family income of about 90,000. Husband works full time, wife part time. Income will probably go up to 110k-120k when wife goes back full time later on (when kids in elementary school)
4) Would seek a house in the 200k - 250k range, we have enough for a 20% down payment
5) Need to live somewhere within driving distance of a college or university (say 30-40 min drive time, at most)
6) Husband and wife HATE heat. Warm summers are fine. Four distinct seasons are preferred. But much happier in a cooler climate than a hot climate.
7) Proximity to mountainous area preferred (active hikers, runners, campers, etc).
8) Quality school system valued for children
9) Family is politically/culturally moderate. Not looking for a place on either extreme of the spectrum (e.g. we'd probably be just as unhappy in the Haight Ashbury as we would in suburban Mississippi).
10) Doesn't have to be a big city, but should be within a reasonable driving distance of a big enough city to have normal amenities like restaurants, movie theaters, some big box stores for shopping, etc.

So with those 10 restrictions, what comes to mind?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to hearing what people come up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 07:00 PM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Upstate NY, Colorado, metros like Salt Lake City, Boise and Spokane.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:21 AM

27,167 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust1978 View Post
Here are my 10 criteria. Based on these guidelines, what places do you think of?

3) Family income of about 90,000. Husband works full time, wife part time. Income will probably go up to 110k-120k when wife goes back full time later on (when kids in elementary school)
4) Would seek a house in the 200k - 250k range, we have enough for a 20% down payment
5) Need to live somewhere within driving distance of a college or university (say 30-40 min drive time, at most)
6) Husband and wife HATE heat. Warm summers are fine. Four distinct seasons are preferred. But much happier in a cooler climate than a hot climate.
7) Proximity to mountainous area preferred (active hikers, runners, campers, etc).
9) Family is politically/culturally moderate. Not looking for a place on either extreme of the spectrum (e.g. we'd probably be just as unhappy in the Haight Ashbury as we would in suburban Mississippi).
10) Doesn't have to be a big city, but should be within a reasonable driving distance of a big enough city to have normal amenities like restaurants, movie theaters, some big box stores for shopping, etc.

Charlottesville, VA would be a great fit as it ticks all of your criteria.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust1978 View Post
Greetings everyone!

It seems like city-data.com is loaded with wonderful forums for so many geographic regions across the country. I've browsed many threads in a variety of different locations because I am so fascinated with the geographic diversity of America. I often think about moving, and I love the threads where people ask for advice on whether they should relocate to a particular spot.

And that got me thinking...

What if I posted a thread that was a completely open ended request for suggestions on where I should live? Would people come up with the same spots I think about? Or would a completely new idea I had never heretofore considered arise?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to hearing what people come up with.
Grand Rapids.

Fits all of your criteria minus mountainous area, but it's proximity to the north country gives the same amenities for hikers/bikers and outdoor enthusiasts in general. Real estate on the rise but at or below that price range for new homes with 3/2 beds/baths. Its winter temperatures are moderated by lake Michigan and usually low 30s high 20s. However it is snowy! It jockeys with Buffalo for who has snowier winters. Growing economy, underrated arts scene, and established and growing core. Well funded and growing education scene, as well as health care. It often gets overlooked, but I know I was surprised when I moved there.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:07 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Hudson River Valley.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Charlottesville, VA would be a great fit as it ticks all of your criteria.
Blacksburg VA would be a good fit too. Morgantown WV as well.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:27 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
The suburban portions of the Willamette Valley or Puget Sound.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:07 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,962,707 times
I'm thinking you might lean towards somewhere in the inland Northeast.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:11 PM

I'll throw out an underrated Upstate NY community in New Hartford. Very good school system. It is a suburb of Utica and is with an hour/hour and a half from the Adirondacks and the Catskills aren't much further away. Old Forge in the Adirondacks could be a good place for the family with its water park, campsites and nice quaint village about an hour away. In that area, you have Utica College, Hamilton College, SUNYIT and Mohawk Valley Community College. It has a lot of big box shopping, the area's mall and movie theaters. That income should be fine for that community. Nearby Clinton could be another option in that area, as could the areas of the Whitesboro SD north of Utica, which puts you even closer to the Adirondacks.

Saratoga Springs and surrounding towns may work as well.

Amherst and Northampton in Massachusetts come to mind too.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:14 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Intermountain West, although I don't think Denver is a good fit given your housing budget. Maybe Colorado Springs, Cheyenne, Casper, Salt Lake City, or Provo. I'd recommend Boise, but Boise occasionally gets triple digit spells during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.