Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Americans: Do You Consider Maryland a Northern or a Southern state?
Maryland is Northern 42 64.62%
Maryland is Southern 23 35.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 03:28 PM

32,151 posts, read 34,822,702 times

Advertisements

A place where the South doesn't live.

Dispelling the propaganda: Myth 8: Maryland is not a Southern state - YouTube

Old 09-18-2014, 03:35 PM

45,551 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You didn't really pay attention to it, dispelling would not be the word to be used.

You know, you just need to end this endless posting **** you do. Yes, it's a free country.

You can't see what's in front of your face, nor can the limousine liberals along 95. Maryland, from Anne Arundel County south, across the Bay to the Eastern Shore up through southern Delaware is, and continues to be, Southern in politics, Southern in tradition, Southern in speech patterns and Southern in mind set.

To show how moronic people are, there are people here in Southern Maryland who wish that it stopped being referred to as such. The word "Southern" makes them feel "bad" and "dirty". Would you be in that group? It seems so.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You didn't really pay attention to it, dispelling would not be the word to be used.

You know, you just need to end this endless posting **** you do. Yes, it's a free country.

You can't see what's in front of your face, nor can the limousine liberals along 95. Maryland, from Anne Arundel County south, across the Bay to the Eastern Shore up through southern Delaware is, and continues to be, Southern in politics, Southern in tradition, Southern in speech patterns and Southern in mind set.

To show how moronic people are, there are people here in Southern Maryland who wish that it stopped being referred to as such. The word "Southern" makes them feel "bad" and "dirty". Would you be in that group? It seems so.
I don't think you read the title of the video correctly.

Myth 8: Maryland is not a southern state.

In other words, the video is dispelling the myth that Maryland is not a southern state. I'll forgive your misreading.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:48 PM

342 posts, read 511,922 times
Wow thanks everyone for their replies and comments! It seems that by an overwhelming 2-1 margin people think of Maryland as a northern state.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Wow thanks everyone for their replies and comments! It seems that by an overwhelming 2-1 margin people think of Maryland as a northern state.
Except for the people who live in Baltimore.

//www.city-data.com/forum/balti...rn-city-8.html

But I suppose Baltimore could be a non-Northeastern city surrounded by the Northeast, including all of Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:51 PM

45,551 posts, read 60,795,283 times
Quote:
I don't think you read the title of the video correctly.

Myth 8: Maryland is not a southern state.

In other words, the video is dispelling the myth that Maryland is not a southern state. I'll forgive your misreading.
I didn't misread anything. Nothing in the video dispelled it. In fact, the examples used strengthened it. I'll forgive your obtuseness.

Just so you know, I'm from Pennsylvania.

Notice what happened to this man:
Augustus Bradford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or this:
Baltimore riot of 1861 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oops:
https://www.prattlibrary.org/uploade...w_complete.pdf

Oops:
Confederate Veteran - Google Books

Oops:
Southern Historical Society Papers - Google Books

Oops:
Maryland's Blue and Gray: A Border State's Union and Confederate Junior ... - Kevin Conley Ruffner - Google Books

Old 09-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Except for the people who live in Baltimore.

//www.city-data.com/forum/balti...rn-city-8.html

But I suppose Baltimore could be a non-Northeastern city surrounded by the Northeast, including all of Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore.
I have searched the Internet and other City Data polls/thread - the example you cite (and continue to cite, repeatedly) is the only example of a majority of people calling MD southern. Everything else I find shows a landslide vote of MD being northern.

I think you are just way in the minority. There's nothing wrong with that and doesn't necessarily mean you are wrong. But it is very clear that most people by a wide margin think MD is northern. As a foreigner living in MD I have to agree - I see nothing southern about Maryland (or Delaware or southern New Jersey) even in supposedly "southern" places like the eastern shore and Calvert county. Now Virginia, that's a different story! Thanks for your opinions and your vote!

Old 09-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I didn't misread anything. Nothing in the video dispelled it. In fact, the examples used strengthened it. I'll forgive your obtuseness.

Just so you know, I'm from Pennsylvania.

Notice what happened to this man:
Augustus Bradford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or this:
Baltimore riot of 1861 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oops:
https://www.prattlibrary.org/uploade...w_complete.pdf

Oops:
Confederate Veteran - Google Books

Oops:
Southern Historical Society Papers - Google Books

Oops:
Maryland's Blue and Gray: A Border State's Union and Confederate Junior ... - Kevin Conley Ruffner - Google Books
Strengthened what? If you say "it strengthened the argument that Maryland is a southern state," then you've completely misread the title.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
I have searched the Internet and other City Data polls/thread - the example you cite (and continue to cite, repeatedly) is the only example of a majority of people calling MD southern. Everything else I find shows a landslide vote of MD being northern.
That poll is actually from the Baltimore forum. If you wanted to know what the Bronx was like, would you go ask people in the Denver forum? No. You would ask New Yorkers because they know their city better than anyone else. Similarly, if you want to know about Maryland, and Baltimore specifically, you would go to the Baltimore forum. Makes sense, right?

Furthermore, the only scientific poll ever taken on the issue, by the Poli Sci Department at the University of North Carolina, showed that 40% of Marylanders said their community was in the South. That's pretty reliable evidence. I mean, when we look at how candidates are performing in political contests, we don't turn to City-Data, we turn to pollsters who are constructing samples.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:22 PM

Quote:
That poll is actually from the Baltimore forum. If you wanted to know what the Bronx was like, would you go ask people in the Denver forum? No. You would ask New Yorkers because they know their city better than anyone else. Similarly, if you want to know about Maryland, and Baltimore specifically, you would go to the Baltimore forum. Makes sense, right?

Furthermore, the only scientific poll ever taken on the issue, by the Poli Sci Department at the University of North Carolina, showed that 40% of Marylanders said their community was in the South. That's pretty reliable evidence. I mean, when we look at how candidates are performing in political contests, we don't turn to City-Data, we turn to pollsters who are constructing samples.
Ewww...

I really dont want to argue with you. I have a full time job, a boyfriend, and much more important things to care about other than if MD is northern or southern. You seem like a really argumentative controlling person and I think you are taking the fact that most people consider MD northern way too seriously. How many posts do you think youve made on the subject? 5,000? 6,000? Do you feel any more validated? If are sure, why do you keep obsessing over the question and having to fight the consensus of every thread on the topic?

Why you are so invested in the question is beyond me. You arent from Maryland, dont live in Maryland. It is pretty obvious you are taking on a very uphill battle. I have lived here for 4 years, no one I know considers themselves southern (and I have asked after seeing you argue how "southern" MD is). They look at me like I have 10 heads when I ask that. Maybe there are backwoods areas I havent been to that are cultural anomalies but I havent seen or heard of it yet. Every post with a question about Md's southernness has you posting endlessly about your own point of view and rejecting everyone else's if they disagree. You even made a sarcastic troll thread "is Pennsylvania northern" as soon as I made this one and it was clear most people think MD is northern....Wow, so mature and classy, I bet you have to beat the girls away with a stick.

Here is another CD polls in the MD forum saying MD is not southern:

//www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...outhern-u.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.