Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Americans: Do You Consider Maryland a Northern or a Southern state?
Maryland is Northern 42 64.62%
Maryland is Southern 23 35.38%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 04:29 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Ewww...

I really dont want to argue with you. I have a full time job, a boyfriend, and much more important things to care about other than if MD is northern or southern. You seem like a really argumentative controlling person and I think you are taking the fact that most people consider MD northern way too seriously. How many posts do you think youve made on the subject? 5,000? 6,000? Do you feel any more validated? If are sure, why do you keep obsessing over the question and having to fight the consensus of every thread on the topic?

Why you are so invested in the question is beyond me. You arent from Maryland, dont live in Maryland. It is pretty obvious you are taking on a very uphill battle. I have lived here for 4 years, no one I know considers themselves southern (and I have asked after seeing you argue how "southern" MD is). They look at me like I have 10 heads when I ask that. Maybe there are backwoods areas I havent been to that are cultural anomalies but I havent seen or heard of it yet. Every post with a question about Md's southernness has you posting endlessly about your own point of view and rejecting everyone else's if they disagree. You even made a sarcastic troll thread "is Pennsylvania northern" as soon as I made this one and it was clear most people think MD is northern....Wow, so mature and classy, I bet you have to beat the girls away with a stick.

Here is another CD polls in the MD forum saying MD is not southern:

//www.city-data.com/forum/maryl...outhern-u.html

What do your personal details and anecdotes have to do with a poll conducted by the University of North Carolina?

A UNC Political Science Department poll >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> City-Data poll

Anytime someone with a posting history dating back to May starts talking about my posting history, it's always a sign that the account is a sock puppet.

My point has always been pretty simple: How can you have a conclusive answer, one way or the other, about a question that's being perenially debated?

Old 09-18-2014, 04:35 PM

342 posts, read 510,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
What do your personal details and anecdotes have to do with a poll conducted by the University of North Carolina?

A UNC Political Science Department poll >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> City-Data poll

Anytime someone with a posting history dating back to May starts talking about my posting history, it's always a sign that the account is a sock puppet.

My point has always been pretty simple: How can you have a conclusive answer, one way or the other, about a question that's being perenially debated?
LOL, okay whatever you say kid. I really don't care one way or another.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:45 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Except for the people who live in Baltimore.

//www.city-data.com/forum/balti...rn-city-8.html
Do you seriously think that there were over 100 actual Baltimore residents who voted in this CD poll? Included in this recent spate of silly threads was a poll posted on the Delaware thread in which the majority of course agreed that Delaware is a northeastern state. But when looking at who actually voted, only 4 or 5 voters out of the 44 who participated are regulars on the Delaware forum. In fact, you were one of those who voted no.

I'd have a hard time believing this poll you are offering up reflects the views of actual Baltimoreans.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Do you seriously think that there were over 100 actual Baltimore residents who voted in this CD poll? Included in this recent spate of silly threads was a poll posted on the Delaware thread in which the majority of course agreed that Delaware is a northeastern state. But when looking at who actually voted, only 4 or 5 voters out of the 44 who voted were regulars on the Delaware forum. In fact, you were one of those who voted no.

I'd have a hard time believing this poll you are offering up reflects the views of actual Baltimoreans.
You could say that about any poll on City-Data.

But you can't say that about the UNC Focus Poll. Money is actually spent on those types of polls.

The difference between Philadelphia and Baltimore is that you don't have sources placing the former it in the South. There are no journalists from the Philadelphia Inquirer referring to it as a southern city in any way, shape, form or fashion. The Baltimore Sun and the Washington Post, on the other hand, are asking this question every other year or so. That alone says that there's no consensus. How can you have a conclusive answer on something that's always being debated?

Yet there are always those who shove that fact aside and insist that there is a conclusive answer.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:57 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
You could say that about any poll on City-Data.

But you can't say that about the UNC Focus Poll. Money is actually spent on those types of polls.

The difference between Philadelphia and Baltimore is that you don't have sources placing the former it in the South. There are no journalists from the Philadelphia Inquirer referring to it as a southern city in any way, shape, form or fashion. The Baltimore Sun and the Washington Post, on the other hand, are asking this question every other year or so. That alone says that there's no consensus. How can you have a conclusive answer on something that's always being debated?

Yet there are always those who shove that fact aside and insist that there is a conclusive answer.
You seem to think making the same arguments repeatedly is going to change my mind.

Checking out. Life calls.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:59 PM

My other point is also very simple. Maryland was a southern state up until the 1960s or so. People say that is no longer the case because of transplants.

If that is the case, then any current southern state can become "un-southern" by virtue of demographic change/political realignment. That's a logical consequence it seems. If you draw a line at Fredericksburg and say "the un-South can't extend beyond here!" then it's all very arbitary.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You seem to think making the same arguments repeatedly is going to change my mind.

Checking out. Life calls.
So your opinion is that there is a conclusive answer? If it's conclusive, then why is it always being debated?

Is D.C. Still a Southern Town? | NBC4 Washington

Why even ask the question if the answer is so apparent? I've never seen the Philadelphia Inquirer, New York Times or Boston Globe ask this question.

Old 09-18-2014, 05:40 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Mods need to start locking these threads. This is getting old.
Yes, it is.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.