Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 04:14 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times

Advertisements

Yeah I'm biased but I'd have to go with Atlanta.

I couldn't choose Miami for all the reason's posted above.

Unless you're coming from the very largest cities like New York, Los Angeles, Philly, Atlanta is going to have all the things you're used to having in big city living and maybe more. But it will have them at much lower cost. The economy is also still booming.

Atlanta also has much shorter milder Winters than Chicago and absolutely gorgeous Fall and Springs. Alot will knock 'Hotlanta' for it's long hot humid summers but Atlanta actually has mild summers compared to most southern cities due to it's higher altitude. And remember, there were actually a lot of days last summer that it was hotter in Chicago than in Atlanta (during the Northern heatwave).

As far as water problems. North Georgia is going through a historically bad drought at this time. Georgia like every other state in the union experiences droughts sometimes. But usually the southeast recieves abundant rainfall (why it has always been a strong agricultural region). If rainfall were to return to normal and stay normal awhile the shortages everyone is making such a fuss about would be gone. But no one really knows how the weather will perform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 04:20 PM

307 posts, read 1,397,132 times
I guess I would go with Chicago.. I LOVE the winter there. That is why.
I think Atlanta has more job opportunities, and it is cheaper then Chicago. But still a great Metropolis.

I say go with Atlanta or Chicago.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:57 PM

60 posts, read 68,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What the?

You call Chicago "stifling"? Atlanta is FAR more stifling than Chicago, not to mention there are major water problems. Yes winters are colder here, and spring and fall are kinda short, but the rest of the year Id say Chicago has FAR better weather since you seem to be basing this on the "stifling" factor. They dont call it "Hotlanta" for nothing.
Sorry if I offended you. But Chicago is for the most part just as hot as Atlanta in the summer. And actually, the term "Hotlanta" was coined because of Atlanta's rapid growth, not because of the weather.

Old 12-27-2007, 06:02 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,110 times
Quote:
"Hotlanta" was coined because of Atlanta's rapid growth, not because of the weather.
Atlanta's summers are hot too. I was there this past summer and the temps were in the 90s with the heat index of almost 100. And its constantly raining. Sometimes for days and days. It rains all the time. Despite the recent dought, its a city full of trees. So if you dont mind rain, go for it.

Miami, like everyone else has said, I dont recommend. The cost of living here is very high compared to the salaries. But, if you like heat, then maybe youre willing to sacrifice some things. Theres no state tax here. And it does rain a lot here too, especially during Hurricane season, but nothing like GA. And there's plenty of water related activities if thats something youre into.

Chicago is the one I know least about. I've never lived there, only visited once. But I loved it. Its a big city with tons to do. But then you do have those midwest winters. You may not mind it though.

Have you visited any of these cities?

Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 AM

20 posts, read 55,791 times
Hello, thanks for all your advices. I'm actually moving from Puerto Rico, looking for a change in my life and career. What matters most for me are the job opportunities in the marketing and advertising industries. Also is very important the cost of living and the things to do around. I'm a young professional, so a balance between these two would be great. I've never visit non of the three cities but i have family and friends nearby each of them. Keep on writing!! Thanks!

Old 12-28-2007, 08:43 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,110 times
Quote:
I'm actually moving from Puerto Rico
Well as you probably already know, theres a ton of Ricans here in Miami, so here's where you'd probably be the least home sick. Weather is similar too. I dont know what the cost of living is in PR. Heres its pretty high though. What part of Miami does your family live in? There are some places that are still semi-affordable. The area of Kendall had some decent prices the last time I checked. But as far as marketing jobs, I'm just not sure. Whats your budget? Theres definitely a lot to do here, especially if youre into bars/clubs and etc. As well as beaches, fishing, boating, etc. though you might be sick of that coming from an island.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:06 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
I'd go with Miami or Chicago. Atlanta's a little cheaper but should be compared to the other 2 imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.